Post Your Best Political Quotes

Started by zarus tathra, September 08, 2013, 12:51:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zarus tathra

Civil government, so far as it is instituted for the security of property, is in reality instituted for the defence of the rich against the poor, or of those who have some property against those who have none at all. -Adam Smith
?"Belief is always most desired, most pressingly needed, when there is a lack of will." -Friedrich Nietzsche

Ideals are imperfect. Morals are self-serving.

Hijiri Byakuren

"Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself."

~Mark Twain
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

SGOS

I like Rumsfeld's, "We know the things we know, and we know some things we don't know.  But we can't know everything we don't know."

Well, it goes something like that.  It basically means, "We made a bad guess on Iraq, much of which was a shot in the dark.  Yeah, in retrospect, we were wrong about most of it, but mostly at this point, it's just really hard to explain why it seemed like a good idea.  But you know, we might have guessed right, and then I wouldn't have to stand up here talking gibberish." :-D

Solitary

QuoteThe world of politics is always twenty years behind the world of thought.
:roll:  Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Thumpalumpacus

Quote from: "Churchill"It has been said that democracy is the worst form of government except all the others that have been tried.
<insert witty aphorism here>

Special B

"Political language... is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind." -Orwell

"All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome." -Orwell
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." - Carl Sagan

Shiranu

Quote from: "Thumpalumpacus"
Quote from: "Churchill"It has been said that democracy is the worst form of government except all the others that have been tried.

One of my other favourite quotes by him...

"The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter."
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Fidel_Castronaut

Quote"I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's." –Mark Twain

Had to look it up because I couldn't remember who said it, but naturally it was Twain.
lol, marquee. HTML ROOLZ!

Smartmarzipan

Quote from: "Special B""Political language... is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind." -Orwell

"All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome." -Orwell

I love these quotes.  =D>
Legi, Intellexi, Condemnavi.

"Religion is the human response to being alive and having to die." ~Anon

Inter arma enim silent leges

Smartmarzipan

I found another Orwell quote that I like very much:

"War against a foreign country only happens when the moneyed classes think they are going to profit from it."
Legi, Intellexi, Condemnavi.

"Religion is the human response to being alive and having to die." ~Anon

Inter arma enim silent leges

AllPurposeAtheist

I did not have sexual relations with that woman!.... Forgive me. I'm a sinner.
It worked..
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.