Down Syndrone Reversed in Mice

Started by _Xenu_, September 05, 2013, 12:00:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mermaid

Quote from: "Colanth"That's why I figured you'd understand the information at the link - you're one of them.

BTW, if you haven't read it already, you should read Dawkins' The Greatest Show on Earth.  He goes into how much evolution is driven by embryonic development.  (I know I'm wording that very badly.)
You way overestimate my brain power, but thank you. And thanks for the recommendation, I have never read Dawkins at all, believe it or not. I will put that in the queue.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Graceless

Quote from: "billhilly"Not even sure it's a theist but it might as well be.

QuoteHere's the thing -- I'm an "everything happens for a reason and things are meant to be" type of person. And when it comes to babies, I firmly believe that you get the child you are supposed to have -- and you love that baby unconditionally no matter what.

I think that if I were to have a baby born with Down syndrome -- it would feel like I was somehow monkeying with nature by injecting him with something to physically alter who he is simply because he's not "perfect," -- and something about that doesn't seem right.

http://thestir.cafemom.com/baby/160703/ ... n_syndrome

That reasoning is precisely why I am totally opposed to corrective surgery for infants with congenital heart problems. They were born that way, and dammit, they're going to die that way. Our all-loving God has a plan, and if that plan involves putting holes in the hearts of babies, I say don't meddle with it.  :P

Quote from: "Mermaid"You way overestimate my brain power, but thank you. And thanks for the recommendation, I have never read Dawkins at all, believe it or not. I will put that in the queue.

Don't be self-deprecating. Anyone who can spell "queue" correctly must be an egghead.  :)
My goals: Love, tolerate, and understand.

Colanth

Quote from: "Graceless"
Quote from: "billhilly"Not even sure it's a theist but it might as well be.

QuoteHere's the thing -- I'm an "everything happens for a reason and things are meant to be" type of person. And when it comes to babies, I firmly believe that you get the child you are supposed to have -- and you love that baby unconditionally no matter what.

I think that if I were to have a baby born with Down syndrome -- it would feel like I was somehow monkeying with nature by injecting him with something to physically alter who he is simply because he's not "perfect," -- and something about that doesn't seem right.
http://thestir.cafemom.com/baby/160703/ ... n_syndrome

That reasoning is precisely why I am totally opposed to corrective surgery for infants with congenital heart problems. They were born that way, and dammit, they're going to die that way. Our all-loving God has a plan, and if that plan involves putting holes in the hearts of babies, I say don't meddle with it.  :P
I'll have to try to respond to posts before you do - that was exactly what came to my mind.  And if the baby later develops some fatal disease - hey, that's just God making sure that his beloved viruses have a good life too, so don't you dare give vaccinations or inoculations, or treat a baby with any sort of medicine.  :roll:
Afflicting the comfortable for 70 years.
Science builds skyscrapers, faith flies planes into them.