News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Elementary particles

Started by josephpalazzo, September 01, 2013, 07:35:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

josephpalazzo

We're all familiar with the Standard Model and how the elementary particles were represented on a graphic.

But no Higgs boson can fit, as all the spots, horizontally and vertically, are neatly occupied. So what to do?

Here's a clever way:

What says you!

Brian37

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers." Obama
Poetry By Brian37 Like my poetry on Facebook Under BrianJames Rational Poet and also at twitter under Brianrrs37

Solitary

Looks Good to me, or should I say looks like God to me?  8-)  Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Atheon

That's 13! (not including the force carriers)

The number of the devil!

Satan did it!
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

SGOS

Which particle is the best one?   :-D

Jason78

Visual aids are always so helpful :D
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

entropy

I wonder if you could put concentric rings containing information between the higgs center circle and the force carrying particles ring and another information ring between the force carrying particles ring and the quarks and leptons split ring. The information rings could provide background about how the particles in the inner circles relate to the particles in the outer circles.

Where would gravitons go?   :)

josephpalazzo

Quote from: "entropy"[ Image ]

I wonder if you could put concentric rings containing information between the higgs center circle and the force carrying particles ring and another information ring between the force carrying particles ring and the quarks and leptons split ring. The information rings could provide background about how the particles in the inner circles relate to the particles in the outer circles.

Where would gravitons go?   :)

What would be needed to now: Inner black circle: spin =0; inner blue circle, spin = 1; and outer circle, spin = 1/2

The graviton has'nt been found yet.

entropy

Quote from: "josephpalazzo"The graviton has'nt been found yet.

I know, that's why I put the smiley face - as in "just kidding" - and said "...would gravitons go" rather than "...do gravitons go".

Colanth

The diagram is closed ("finished").  Since the particles in the diagram don't sufficiently describe the universe, shouldn't there be an unclosed portion?  There's more than just "the graviton" (whatever it turns out to be) to consider.
Afflicting the comfortable for 70 years.
Science builds skyscrapers, faith flies planes into them.

Solitary

Quote from: "SGOS"Which particle is the best one?   :-D

The God particle of course.  :roll:  :lol:  Solitary

Solitary

I'm still trying to find the tachyon.  :-?   I think it went back to yesterday.  :shock:   :lol:  Solitary

Colanth

Tachyon is a description, not the name of a particular particle.  The opposite of tachyon is tardion, and all the above particles are tardions.  (Well, let's hope they all are.  If even one of them isn't, we're going to have to rewrite a lot of science.)
Afflicting the comfortable for 70 years.
Science builds skyscrapers, faith flies planes into them.

josephpalazzo

Quote from: "Colanth"The diagram is closed ("finished").  Since the particles in the diagram don't sufficiently describe the universe, shouldn't there be an unclosed portion?  There's more than just "the graviton" (whatever it turns out to be) to consider.

I know that Susy hasn't been declared dead yet... oh you, eternal optimist.