News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

In this Topic we should talk about how we became atheists

Started by Alex Shouwls, September 01, 2013, 05:11:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex Shouwls

My name is Alex i was born in orthodox christian family but not very religious sense we hardly ever went in church.
First when i trace back problem in people to religion, was because of my poor self confidence I was 13 years old and I use to compare myself to others, and i use to think about this teachers who were very unprofessional bad at what they did unjust  not caring and abusive. Then i asked myself a question, what is it that someone with such a low ambitions and low income, has in their lives that makes them think that they are validated as a good people or what did they achieved in their lives, where do they get so much confidence in their self? answer on this question was pretty clear as later I found out that this people really don't like life not only that but they don't even have a motivation of making world better place to live.
So after i toke all reality out of a picture then i saw how hopeful they get when it comes to religion this life might suck but i am getting better one after i die and i better not fail in worshiping the leader. Soon as i found this out that religion gives illusionary comfort, comfort which they should be using to draw their selves to became better people i already saw how places with a lot of religious activity would be much more miserable then others but other i never know it would mean atheistic i didn't even known a word atheist in that age so this was first clue religion in bullshit now lets see what i will realize in age 16.
In age 16, I use to think, so what if people are motivated by delusion so what if they are used as puppet to send money to religious charity which also helped religion build bigger churches, they are deluded bunch and its best use for their, in my view pointless low achieving lives but then I have heard this character called Ayn Rand and that was first time i found out what word atheist means. So I decided to see what is it that Ayn rand says about religion and then i heard beautiful words http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exAS72picj0 which made me understood that individuals with rational thinking do not choose to follow any religion but religion is chosen for them by other and they never have to question it sense it never comes up whether or not delusions are wrong when you living in real world. :-k
Then between age 16 to 19 i was looking for someone who would prove to me that religion is something different then i thought it was, and all i found out that its only defended by the People who had a characteristics and tactics of car salesman who says that real world is something else and nonsense such as this and today i still hold that view. That Religious People are not stupid not crazy but victims of brainwashing. :-|
Thanks for reading :wink: P.S you don't have to read my post just please write down how did you became an atheist or it could be that you just never been raised in religion. Thank you

the_antithesis

LikelyToBreak

I read the bible straight through.  I didn't cherry pick passages, but read it in context.

Hijiri Byakuren

I was not raised with a belief in the supernatural and never picked up a religion.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Mermaid

A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Agramon

The great Athe touched my... heart and my life was never the same.
"And, tricked by our own early dream
And need of solace, we grew self-deceived,
Our making soon our maker did we deem,
And what we had imagined we believed."
- Thomas Hardy

Atheon

Life-long atheist here.

I was born into a non-believing family and grew up in a part of the US where religion isn't a big thing. I just never became religious, and was naturally skeptical about this invisible "god" thingy that my grandparents liked to pray to.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

Johan

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

bada94

One shouldn\'t believe everything one reads on the internet. - Abraham Lincoln

The person who is certain, and who claims divine warrant for his certainty, belongs now to the infancy of our species. - Christopher Hitchens

red

Was sent to Catholic primary school. Became aware that claims made regarding First Communion (having a wafer thrust into your mouth whilst the priest mumbles "body of Christ") didn't match my experience and subsequently that other claims didn't match anything real either. Non-believer since aprox. age 7.

Solitary

When I was 6 years old and we didn't have a chimney and Santa left presents for me and I started to question my Methodist Mom about God, and she told me that God sends little boys to hell that ask such questions. I asked my dad, an atheist, about what she said and he told their isn't a God, tooth fairy, Easter bunny, Santa Claus, or any other superstitious characters that are just fairy tails for stupid people.  :roll: Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Maelstrom

I actually read the bible without rose colored glasses and I discovered Robert Green Ingersoll.

Fidel_Castronaut

lol, marquee. HTML ROOLZ!