News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Obama wants an invasion

Started by GrinningYMIR, August 31, 2013, 07:20:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aileron

Quote from: "mykcob4"Oops Nam had Eisenhower in office when it started.

The list was when the president sought Congressional authority for war, i.e., requests in accordance with the War Powers Act or similar scale operations before its passage.  In Vietnam, it was LBJ and the Gulf of Tonkin Resolution that opened the way for major operations.  You're also wrong that Eisenhower started US involvement in the Vietnamese War.  That would be Truman, a Democrat.  

QuoteRegan drew the line in the sand when we bombed Libya.

It was Obama who requested Congressional authority in accordance with the War Powers Act in Libya.

QuoteAnd the Russian civil war  had no US interference.

So 13,000 US troops were never deployed to Arkhangelsk and Vladivostok?

QuoteDemocrats fight the wars and or clean up the mess that republicans create. That is historic.

That's nonsense.  I loathe the current-day Republican Party as much as most people here, but we need to be careful not to ignore the fact that Democratic elected officials are very warlike.  They run on nice-sounding pacifistic platforms, but they govern with an intervention-minded approach to world politics.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room! -- President Merkin Muffley

My mom was a religious fundamentalist. Plus, she didn't have a mouth. It's an unusual combination. -- Bender Bending Rodriguez

Colanth

Quote from: "frosty"I said what I felt would help end the conflict, I know exactly what I typed and that's all there is to say about that.
It's not.  What you keep ignoring is that actions have consequences.  You keep saying "I think we should do this", then saying that you didn't say that we should also do what will result as a consequence of doing it.

"I think jumping off a 500 foot cliff will dry the sweat on my forehead" is only rational if you live in a universe where there are no consequences to actions.  Attack Assad means assisting al-qaeda.  We can't do one without also doing the other.  Since both Assad and al-qaeda are anti-American, doing - anything - is aiding our enemy.  That's the part you "didn't say".
Afflicting the comfortable for 70 years.
Science builds skyscrapers, faith flies planes into them.

Colanth

Quote from: "aileron"The list was when the president sought Congressional authority for war, i.e., requests in accordance with the War Powers Act or similar scale operations before its passage.
Which ignores the fact that, in many cases a Democratic president had to request a war to clean up a situation that he was left by a Republican president.  The cause of a war isn't the declaration of war in most cases.  For instance, WWII was caused in 1919, not 1939 or 1941.  It was FOUGHT starting in 1939.
Afflicting the comfortable for 70 years.
Science builds skyscrapers, faith flies planes into them.

billhilly

Um, Wilson was president in 1919 and I'm pretty sure he was a Democrat.  

Aileron is correct in pointing out that the peace loving Democrat/neo-con Republicans are a fairly recent deal.  The Democrats have a long history starting with Jackson and Polk of being warlike.

frosty

Alright Colanth, thanks for giving me your own subjective opinions on these subjects.

Jason Harvestdancer

So, now we have an ex-KGB dictator forcing a Nobel Peace Prize winner to not start another war.
White privilege is being a lifelong racist, then being sent to the White House twice because your running mate is a minority.<br /><br />No Biden, no KKK, no Fascist USA!

SGOS

Quote from: "Jason_Harvestdancer"So, now we have an ex-KGB dictator forcing a Nobel Peace Prize winner to not start another war.
:rollin:

missingnocchi

Quote from: "Jason_Harvestdancer"So, now we have an ex-KGB dictator forcing a Nobel Peace Prize winner to not start another war.
"There is no such thing as a former KGB man"
- Vladimir Putin
What's a "Leppo?"