Do humans need something to hate?

Started by Solomon Zorn, August 31, 2013, 06:58:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solomon Zorn

Be it other races, other religions, homosexuals, or atheists, are we programmed to hate what is different?
(For a lot of us, I guess Theists would be our target.)
If God Exists, Why Does He Pretend Not to Exist?
Poetry and Proverbs of the Uneducated Hick

http://www.solomonzorn.com

FrankDK

Certainly evolution in social groups that competed for territory and resources promoted animosity towards other groups.  And it seems that hate towards "others" is pretty easy to whip up among the rabble.  But I don't think we need something to hate.

Frank

Mermaid

Sometimes I wonder if we as a species need some kind of conflict.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

FrankDK

> Sometimes I wonder if we as a species need some kind of conflict.

There certainly is a desire for conflict, even if artificial.  That explains the popularity of sports events.

Frank

Hydra009

Quote from: "Mermaid"Sometimes I wonder if we as a species need some kind of conflict.
We do tend to thrive on conflict, though violent conflict is arguably more harmful than beneficial.

Everyone loves a good conflict.  Conflicts are the bedrock of stories.  And everyday competitions too numerous to list.

Athletics is interesting in that at times, it seems vaguely warlike.  American football matches in particular seem to bear a certain semblance to ancient battlefields.

Mermaid

An excellent example. It's also a recurring theme that's pervasive in human cultures. There is always a dark side to everything. Like yin and yang, the evil queen in snow white, and then there's, you know, Satan.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Shiranu

I consider myself a pretty competitive person, so yeah I would say conflict is something that is both beneficial and detrimental.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Solomon Zorn

Competition is only one side of the coin: cooperation is the balancing force, I think.

But what about HATE. I mean the urge to kill kind of thing (not murder, but the thought behind it). The irrational thing.

aitm

Competition was a nice balance that humanity invented to help take the place of war. Even though it was just as bloody and deadly it was far less people involved. But then perhaps great battles took place and people would say, "what a great fight, it was a shame he had to die" and perhaps over time people started looking at their champions as people and not throwaway soldiers and the idea of mandatory death changed to a yearly challenge.
    The idea of competition also changed with the advent of the printing press because words became powerful tools that feeble and weak wordmasters could use as potent weapons against trained and skilled soldiers. The beginning of the "civilized society".
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

stromboli

Competitiveness is built into our nature for a reason, stemming from competing for mates and tribal hierarchies. Cultural conflicts probably stemmed originally from territorial issues, or resource issues. Now it is other reasons, cultural and religious and so forth.

People can certainly hate each other, but I don't know if that is natural or learned.

Jason78

Quote from: "Solomon Zorn"Do humans need something to hate?

I don't hold a special tolerant place in my heart for individuals or organisations that impact on me in a negative way.

I think this is a normal and healthy reaction in response to things that mean to do me harm.
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

the_antithesis

Quote from: "Solomon Zorn"Do humans need something to hate?

I don't know, but I do.

Atheon

I don't think I need someone to hate, but there are people who do such terrible things that it results in my having no love for them.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

LikelyToBreak

It seems to me, that hate is normal and bred into us.  I don't think it is healthy or rational.  We are thinking beings, and can if we want to, see hate for what it is.  

Hate usually comes from fear.  And of course, many use fear to manipulate us.  I don't like being manipulated.  Therefore, I try to recognize what the real agenda is behind those who want me to fear something.  Usually, it is a desire for resources which the "others" have.  Not a good excuse to hate though.  Not for me anyway.  

Way back in the dark ages, when I was a teenager, the coach used to get mad at me for not hating my athletic opponents.  Which never made sense to me.  Of course, I didn't give a damn about winning or losing, I just wanted to have fun and get some exercise.  Now it makes me mad, that the coaches try to get people to hate their opponents.  Why?  Without opponents, how can you play the game?  

Anyway, it may be natural and all, but I think it is illogical to hate.

Solomon Zorn

I hate mostly people who spread fear. I guess because I fear them (not what they want me to fear).

Overcoming hate would seem to be synonymous with overcoming fear. What if it's a justified fear rather than an irrational one? Does that justify the hate?

I also hate "creepy crawlers", like centipedes and Pat Robertson. [-X