News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Odd facts you stumble across

Started by aitm, August 26, 2013, 08:36:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

Quote from: "WitchSabrina"Horses never barf.  Ever.   I think they are the only animal that does no t throw up.
I'm happy you brought that out in the open.  I've grown weary of avoiding this obvious elephant in the room. :-D

JonathanG

I don't know how many baseball fans we have here, but

[spoil:1tmufwfp]Babe Ruth, Rogers Hornsby, Ted Williams and Willie Mays all struck out in their first major league at bat.[/spoil:1tmufwfp]

and

[spoil:1tmufwfp]Babe Ruth is the only player to end a World Series by getting thrown out trying to steal a base[/spoil:1tmufwfp]
He thinks too much; such men are dangerous.
-Julius Caesar Act I:ii

stromboli

Mermaid

In the egg industry, half the chickens produced are killed on their first day of life. Only the females are raised. So that has to account for a pretty big number of chickens that die every year, too.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Hydra009

Quote from: "stromboli"The Smurfs are communists.
That's kinda subjective.  I've see people claim that they're communists and I've heard people claim that they're nazis, which I'm not entirely sure is basically the same thing.  Methinks people might be reading a bit too much into it and/or seeing what they want to see.

Hell, I saw something earlier that My Little Pony is like Plato's Republic.   :rolleyes:

stromboli

Quote from: "Hydra009"
Quote from: "stromboli"The Smurfs are communists.
That's kinda subjective.  I've see people claim that they're communists and I've heard people claim that they're nazis, which I'm not entirely sure is basically the same thing.  Methinks people might be reading a bit too much into it and/or seeing what they want to see.

Hell, I saw something earlier that My Little Pony is like Plato's Republic.   :rolleyes:

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/27 ... ncy-french

Lao Tou

Quote from: "WitchSabrina"Horses never barf.  Ever.   I think they are the only animal that does no t throw up.

Just take one to an Army mess hall and feed it. Problem solved. You're welcome.
Recovering Baptist

"My own view is that this planet is used as a penal colony, lunatic asylum and dumping ground by a superior civilization, to get rid of the undesirable and unfit. I can\'t prove it, but you can\'t disprove it either."
Christopher Hitchens, in "God is Not Great"

Plu

The smurfs are pretty communist, yeah... they even have an episode where they introduce money into their society and pretty much the whole thing falls apart.

WitchSabrina

Quote from: "SGOS"
I'm happy you brought that out in the open.  I've grown weary of avoiding this obvious elephant in the room. :-D

:rollin:
I am currently experiencing life at several WTFs per hour.

Mermaid

Cows will eat metal that winds up in their hay without thinking twice, so farmers usually administer large magnets in the shape of a pill to them. The magnets stay in their stomach and collect all the metal the cow eats over the years, preventing it from penetrating the stomach wall. When that happens, the cow is said to be affected with "Hardware disease".

This is such a magnet.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Mermaid

Quote from: "WitchSabrina"[spoil:2dk9haqr]Horses never barf.  Ever.   I think they are the only animal that does no t throw up.[/spoil:2dk9haqr]
Horses also cannot breathe through their mouths. I have always found that to be a fundamental design flaw.

So why do they yawn?  :-s

Jason78

Quote from: "SGOS"

Rats can't vomit either.

Edit:  Here's a handy guide
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

Solitary

Your brain is 80% water.  :shock:  Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Lao Tou

Quote from: "Solitary"Your brain is 80% water.  :shock:  Solitary

The damn bottle said 90 proof! Watered down again.....
Recovering Baptist

"My own view is that this planet is used as a penal colony, lunatic asylum and dumping ground by a superior civilization, to get rid of the undesirable and unfit. I can\'t prove it, but you can\'t disprove it either."
Christopher Hitchens, in "God is Not Great"

Mermaid

Quote from: "Solitary"Your brain is 80% water.  :shock:  Solitary
Maybe your brain. Mine is 80% dust, insect parts and the stuff you find under the couch cushions.