Who was responsible for Katrina: Bush or Obama?

Started by Valigarmander, August 21, 2013, 01:38:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

It's not much of a surprise.  It's just one example of the stuff you see in yahoo news reader comments all the time.  I hear nonsense like this in barbershops and grocery stores.  The public airwaves are full of it.  Politicians fan the flames of political hatred until people get so angry they won't bother to stop and think.  People blame the president of the opposition for everything, While they ignore the catastrophic failures of their own party.  

We may have high and mighty ideals about an informed electorate, but political parties know better.  They train their supporters to react with Pavlovian responses, rather than their intellect.  Ring the bell; Hate the other party.  Get attacked by terrorists; Hate the other party.  And meanwhile, both parties make sure the wealthy get more for doing less.  Politics is pure emotion, devoid of factual information.  If actual facts do exist, they are irrelevant to opinions.  

At it's heart, American politics is all about grabbing and redistributing the nations wealth and placing into the hands of a few.  It uses the art of emotional distraction to refocus attention away from its real agenda.  It could never do this if voters were actually watching.

AllPurposeAtheist

Solitary asked why all powerful god needed a rib to make a woman.. why would someone who could create an entire infinite universe need clay to make a man?
Planets andstars..no problem, but FUCK! Clay?? Where did clay come from? Walmart?
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

SGOS

Quote from: "AllPurposeAtheist"Solitary asked why all powerful god needed a rib to make a woman.. why would someone who could create an entire infinite universe need clay to make a man?
Planets andstars..no problem, but FUCK! Clay??
God works in mysterious ways.  
God said:
"I will make man dependent on Oxygen and give him lungs with walls thin enough for oxygen to pass through."
"I will make him require food to live and give him a complicated digestive system."
"I will make him of individual cells that must have nourishment and give him a circulatory system to deliver the things the cells require."
"I will design man so that cancer will form in his cells, and give him a defense system that doesn't always work."

Really?  Is this how God does things?  Talk about making a mountain out of a mole hill.  It shouldn't have to be that complicated for a god.  Just take some clay, shape it into a man, and make it walk around, without requiring it to eat or go to the bathroom.  I mean, "Really!"

Colanth

And how about something better to separate the little pieces of bone that form our backs than some thin-walled sacs of liquid that can rupture so easily?
Afflicting the comfortable for 70 years.
Science builds skyscrapers, faith flies planes into them.

Minimalist

The stupidity of republicunts is reaching legendary proportions.

//http://www.rightwingwatch.org/content/steve-stockman-not-birther-ted-cruz-still-thinks-obamas-birth-certificate-fraudulent

QuoteThe debunked birther conspiracy theory centers on the idea that President Obama forged his Hawaiian birth certificate to hide his foreign birth to an American mother and Kenyan father, which would make him ineligible to be president. Cruz, who also has an American mother but unlike Obama was actually born abroad, would therefore also be deemed ineligible if birthers had any logical consistency, which apparently they don't.
The Christian church, in its attitude toward science, shows the mind of a more or less enlightened man of the Thirteenth Century. It no longer believes that the earth is flat, but it is still convinced that prayer can cure after medicine fails.

-- H. L. Mencken

stromboli

I'm 64 years old. I don't consider myself any kind of computer geek, but it frankly scares me that there is an apparently large segment of the populace that either don't have a computer, smart phone or any other now common means to acquire information.

I honestly think our media has dumbed people down to the point that the average attention span is now about 2 weeks at best. Sad.

SGOS

Quote from: "Minimalist"The stupidity of republicunts is reaching legendary proportions.

//http://www.rightwingwatch.org/content/steve-stockman-not-birther-ted-cruz-still-thinks-obamas-birth-certificate-fraudulent

QuoteThe debunked birther conspiracy theory centers on the idea that President Obama forged his Hawaiian birth certificate to hide his foreign birth to an American mother and Kenyan father, which would make him ineligible to be president. Cruz, who also has an American mother but unlike Obama was actually born abroad, would therefore also be deemed ineligible if birthers had any logical consistency, which apparently they don't.
Probably somewhere around 2008, I was watching Chris Matthews interviewing a right wing talk show host about Obama's birth certificate.  The right wing guy said, "No one can produce Obama's actual birth certificate."  Matthews said, "No, I have it right here.  I got it from the state of Hawaii just yesterday," and gave it to the right wing guy, who looked at it and replied, "This isn't the actual certificate.  It's just a copy."

LOL, Like Hawaii is going to send the original to anyone who asks for it.  They could only do that once, and would no longer have the original.  If they sent it to some Tea Party guy, he would just destroy it, which is exactly why they won't send out the original.  I actually felt kind of sorry for the right winger.  It was just a transparent dumb ass way for him to keep on denying an actual certificate of record.  That comment must have been embarrassing for him, unless of course, he didn't realize how stupid he was.

Fidel_Castronaut

Yeah but Chile and Turkey have loads of theists in.

You'd just end up getting arrested for assault, or even murder.

QuoteIn fact, I think the internet and all the wireless phones are not really good for people, allow the government to spy, and produce unnecessary microwaves in their homes

lol, marquee. HTML ROOLZ!

hillbillyatheist

I was raised in the country, not much technology. I didn't own my first computer till I was 20. I didn't own my first cell phone till 2004, and didn't own my first smartphone till even later than that.

now I have a nice imac and iphone 5. having lived a life with and without these things, I can honestly say, I think luddites be crazy. LOL

I love having my favorite music, and websites and books in my pocket. to be able to get answers to questions immediately. to get directions. etc.

so you can give up computers, but they'll pry my technology from my cold dead hands.

as to the thread topic, yeah teabaggers are both nuts and stupid. they're a cancer on society in my book.
like my posts and thoughts? then check out my new blog. you can subscribe via email too, so that when its updated, you\'ll get an email, letting you know.

just click here

Colanth

Quote from: "stromboli"I'm 64 years old. I don't consider myself any kind of computer geek, but it frankly scares me that there is an apparently large segment of the populace that either don't have a computer, smart phone or any other now common means to acquire information.
I use a smartphone, am typing this on a laptop and have a few desktops that I haven't set up in the new house yet.  (Retirement takes up so much of my time ...)  My wife, who used to be second in charge of a huge tech support department (and did a lot of the hands-on work) uses a feature phone, and constantly fights me when I try to show her that we'd have a lot more work if I didn't have my smartphone with me when we were out.  (For instance, we coordinate the extended family's schedule using Cozi, so it's easy to see if someone will be available at some specific time in the future.)

QuoteI honestly think our media has dumbed people down to the point that the average attention span is now about 2 [s:4cjo1hi2]weeks[/s:4cjo1hi2] minutes at best. Sad.
FIFY
Afflicting the comfortable for 70 years.
Science builds skyscrapers, faith flies planes into them.