News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Is there sound in space?

Started by Solitary, August 15, 2013, 03:02:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aileron

Quote from: "Solitary"
Quote from: "Nonsensei"Only sci-fi show to acknowledge no sound in space: Babylon 5.

How about 2001 Space Odyssey? Solitary

Good one.  They even made the rush of air into the airlock get louder as the pressure increased.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room! -- President Merkin Muffley

My mom was a religious fundamentalist. Plus, she didn't have a mouth. It's an unusual combination. -- Bender Bending Rodriguez

The Whit

There's a scene in the opening fight of the 2009 Star Trek movie where someone gets pulled out into space through a breach in the hull and everything goes silent.  Although, right before that the weapons that cause that hole do make sound travelling through space.  There's only so much one can expect from Hollywood.
"Death can not be killed." -brq

Nonsensei

Quote from: "The Whit"There's a scene in the opening fight of the 2009 Star Trek movie where someone gets pulled out into space through a breach in the hull and everything goes silent.  Although, right before that the weapons that cause that hole do make sound travelling through space.  There's only so much one can expect from Hollywood.

The trend these days seems to be muted sounds during space fights. Battlestar Galactica is a pretty good example of this.
And on the wings of a dream so far beyond reality
All alone in desperation now the time has come
Lost inside you\'ll never find, lost within my own mind
Day after day this misery must go on

Jason78

I think Battlestar Galactica (the remake)  had it about right.  You heard guns go off and missiles launch, but you didn't hear the flak explosions or the missiles travel.

I think they had it about right in terms of space battles too.   Battle groups had to be practically on top of each other and close combat was the order of the day.
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

Hijiri Byakuren

"Is there sound in space?"

Technically yes, since planets fly around in space and there is sound in their atmospheres.

[/thread]
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

SilentFutility

Quote from: "Hijiri Byakuren""Is there sound in space?"

Technically yes, since planets fly around in space and there is sound in their atmospheres.

[/thread]

Is there blood in the water? Yes, because there's blood in you and you're swimming in it.

If you tell people there's blood in the water, are you communicating effectively? No.

The Whit

I just spent the last 30 seconds staring at your cat gif in a trance.
"Death can not be killed." -brq

Solitary

Quote from: "The Whit"I just spent the last 30 seconds staring at your cat gif in a trance.

This is God speaking. Stare at picture for 30 minutes and you will believe.  :twisted:  Don't trust him!

There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

AllPurposeAtheist

I suppose if a tree falls in a forest and nobody is there to hear it it still makes a sound. Is this what you're trying to say? I've been in forests where trees fall and they fall silently. Of course they fell before I got there so I'm not 100% positive they make no sound, but they sure didn't seem to complain much when I was there.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

MrsSassyPants

If you don't chew big red then FUCK YOU!

Solitary

Quote from: "fingerscrossed2013"Who FUKN cares

He doesn't care either:  :lol:  Solitary

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: "SilentFutility"
Quote from: "Hijiri Byakuren""Is there sound in space?"

[/thread]

Is there blood in the water? Yes, because there's blood in you and you're swimming in it.

If you tell people there's blood in the water, are you communicating effectively? No.
I thought it was clear enough that I wasn't being entirely serious here. :lol:

Solitary

SilentFutility

Quote from: "Hijiri Byakuren"I thought it was clear enough that I wasn't being entirely serious here. :lol:
I know you weren't but I enjoy telling people that they're wrong anyway.  :rollin:

Quote from: "The Whit"I just spent the last 30 seconds staring at your cat gif in a trance.
Bow to your feline overlords.

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: "SilentFutility"
Quote from: "Hijiri Byakuren"I thought it was clear enough that I wasn't being entirely serious here. :lol:
I know you weren't but I enjoy telling people that they're wrong anyway.  :rollin:
A man after my own heart. 8-)