News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Is there sound in space?

Started by Solitary, August 15, 2013, 03:02:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solitary

:-k  There is sound in space. Sound is a pressure wave, and as long as there is some kind of gaseous medium, there is the possibility of forming pressure waves in it. In space, the interplanetary medium is a very dilute gas at a density of about 10 atoms per cubic centimeter, and the speed of sound in this medium is about 300 kilometers per second.

Typical disturbances due to solar storms and "magneto-sonic turbulence" at the Earth's magnetopause have scales of hundreds of kilometers, so the acoustic wavelengths are enormous. Human ears would never hear them, but we can technologically detect these pressure changes and play them back for our ears to hear by electronically compressing them.  :-o  Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Colanth

Is there sound in space?  No.  Are there pressure waves in space?  Yes.  "Sound" is a pressure wave audible by the human ear.
Afflicting the comfortable for 70 years.
Science builds skyscrapers, faith flies planes into them.

aitm

Quote from: "Colanth"Is there sound in space?  No.  Are there pressure waves in space?  Yes.  "Sound" is a pressure wave audible by the human ear.

:-k

and non-human ears?
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Solitary

Quote from: "Colanth"Is there sound in space?  No.  Are there pressure waves in space?  Yes.  "Sound" is a pressure wave audible by the human ear.

Right! But we can technologically detect these pressure changes and play them back for our ears to hear by electronically compressing them, so they are audible, how else could we know about them being a sound? If what you say is true, how can dogs hear sounds we can't?  :wink: Solitary

Jutter

Depends on which sci-fi movie you're watching. Which leads me to believe the introduction of a fourth wall, serving as an auxillary membrane, can make spaceshipwarpdrivelaserblast sounds audible to a sufficiently cooperative audience, granted they're on the post-production side of said membrane.
No religion for me thank you very much; I 'm full of shit enough as it is.

Being flabbergasted about existence never made anyone disappear in a poof of flabbergas, so nevermind why we're here. We ARE here.

Jmpty

If a tree falls in the forest, and no one is there to hear it.........
???  ??

GurrenLagann

Quote from: "Solitary"

Right! But we can technologically detect these pressure changes and play them back for our ears to hear by electronically compressing them, so they are audible, how else could we know about them being a sound? If what you say is true, how can dogs hear sounds we can't?  :wink: Solitary

Then we aren't hearing the sounds, we're hearing electronically altered sound that isn't the original sound. If I take a picture of the Mona Lisa, I don't have the Mona Lisa.
Which means that to me the offer of certainty, the offer of complete security, the offer of an impermeable faith that can\'t give way, is the offer of something not worth having.
[...]
Take the risk of thinking for yourself. Much more happiness, truth, beauty & wisdom, will come to you that way.
-Christopher Hitchens

Solitary

Quote from: "GurrenLagann"
Quote from: "Solitary"

Then we aren't hearing the sounds, we're hearing electronically altered sound that isn't the original sound. If I take a picture of the Mona Lisa, I don't have the Mona Lisa.

That may be true, but there is still a sound there or we couldn't hear it. Solitary

SGOS

Quote from: "Jmpty"If a tree falls in the forest, and no one is there to hear it.........
That's what I was thinking.   :-D

Solitary

Quote from: "SGOS"
Quote from: "Jmpty"If a tree falls in the forest, and no one is there to hear it.........
That's what I was thinking.   :-D

See, this is the problem with logic and philosophy---the meaning of words. What does the word sound mean? (2) definition: energy of vibration sensed in hearing. So that damned tree falling does make a sound, you just can't hear it unless you are there. :shock:  :wink:   :-$   :lol:  Solitary

Colanth

And the pressure wave in space isn't a sound either, since you can't hear it.  (Even if being exposed to the near vacuum didn't kill you, the ear isn't designed to detect pressure waves in such a rarified medium.)
Afflicting the comfortable for 70 years.
Science builds skyscrapers, faith flies planes into them.

Solitary

[quot"Colanth"]And the pressure wave in space isn't a sound either, since you can't hear it.  (Even if being exposed to the near vacuum didn't kill you, the ear isn't designed to detect pressure waves in such a rarified medium.)[/quote]

Did you read the definition of sound? "(2) definition: energy of vibration sensed in hearing. It doesn't have to be heard to be a sound, it just has to be an energy of vibration that may be heard or not. It's like the sound of one hand clapping.  :shock:  =D>  Solitary

AllPurposeAtheist

They just released the Apollo transcripts..

Huh? Did you say something Houston? :)
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Solitary

I can't hear you, you have to make a sound.  :roll:  Solitary

SilentFutility

Quote from: "Solitary"Did you read the definition of sound? "(2) definition: energy of vibration sensed in hearing. It doesn't have to be heard to be a sound, it just has to be an energy of vibration that may be heard or not. It's like the sound of one hand clapping.  :shock:  =D>  Solitary

Did you read it?