Are you logical? Take The Test And See

Started by Solitary, August 15, 2013, 02:09:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solitary

Premises    Conclusion    Follows?    Answer    

All men are mortal.

Socrates is mortal.   Socrates is a man.    True or False?

Either you are in New York or you are in Philadelphia.  You are not in New York. You are in Philadelphia. True or False?

Some dogs are friendly. All dogs are animals.   Some animals are friendly.    True or False?

If you won the lottery, you are a millionaire. You are a millionaire.    You won the lottery. True or False?   

No ducks are mammals. No birds are mammals.    Some ducks are not birds. True or False?

All humans are mammals. Humans do not have four legs.    Some mammals do not have four legs. True or False?    

Whenever Drug Y is administered, the patient gets better. Whenever Drug Y is not administered, the patient does not get better. Drug Y causes the patient to get better. True or False?

If you hit the brakes hard, your car will be rear-ended by the car behind you. If you do not hit the brakes hard, you will hit a child in front of you. Either you will hit the child or you will be hit by the car behind you. True or False?

Whenever you are in Trenton, you are in New Jersey. You are in New Jersey. You are in Trenton. True or False?

Smithville is around 50 kilometres due north of Jonesborough. Jonesborough is around 50 kilometres due north of Browntown. Browntown is closer to Jonesborough than Smithville.    True or False?    Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Solitary

For those that were interested in finding out, here are the answers:

Premises    Conclusion    Follows?    Answer      
All men are mortal.
Socrates is mortal.   Socrates is a man.    True
False    (False.)      Socrates could be a cat.
Either you are in New York or you are in Philadelphia.
You are not in New York.    You are in Philadelphia.    True
False    (True.)      
Some dogs are friendly.
All dogs are animals.    Some animals are friendly.    True
False    (True.)      
If you won the lottery, you are a millionaire.
You are a millionaire.    You won the lottery.    True
False    (False.)     You could be a millionaire without winning the lottery.  
No ducks are mammals.
No birds are mammals.    Some ducks are not birds.    True
False    (False.)     A duck can be a cotton fabric.  
All humans are mammals.
Humans do not have four legs.    Some mammals do not have four legs.    True
False    (True.)      
Whenever Drug Y is administered, the patient gets better.
Whenever Drug Y is not administered, the patient does not get better.    Drug Y causes the patient to get better.    True
False    (False.)      A patient can get better without drug Y.
If you hit the brakes hard, your car will be rear-ended by the car behind you.
If you do not hit the brakes hard, you will hit a child in front of you.    Either you will hit the child or you will be hit by the car behind you.    True
False    (True.)      
Whenever you are in Trenton, you are in New Jersey.
You are in New Jersey.    You are in Trenton.    True
False    (False.)      
Smithville is around 50 kilometres due north of Jonesborough.
Jonesborough is around 50 kilometres due north of Browntown.    Browntown is closer to Jonesborough than Smithville.    True
False   (true.) Browntown is 50 kilometers from Jonesborough, but Smithville is 100 kilometers from Jonesborough, even if it is 50K from Browntown.

mykcob4

Premises Conclusion Follows? Answer

All men are mortal.  Yes

Socrates is mortal. Socrates is a man. True or False?  True

Either you are in New York or you are in Philadelphia. You are not in New York. You are in Philadelphia. True or False? True

Some dogs are friendly. All dogs are animals. Some animals are friendly. True or False? True

If you won the lottery, you are a millionaire. You are a millionaire. You won the lottery. True or False?  False

No ducks are mammals. No birds are mammals. Some ducks are not birds. True or False? False

All humans are mammals. Humans do not have four legs. Some mammals do not have four legs. True or False?  True

Whenever Drug Y is administered, the patient gets better. Whenever Drug Y is not administered, the patient does not get better. Drug Y causes the patient to get better. True or False? True

If you hit the brakes hard, your car will be rear-ended by the car behind you. If you do not hit the brakes hard, you will hit a child in front of you. Either you will hit the child or you will be hit by the car behind you. True or False? True

Whenever you are in Trenton, you are in New Jersey. You are in New Jersey. You are in Trenton. True or False? False

Smithville is around 50 kilometres due north of Jonesborough. Jonesborough is around 50 kilometres due north of Browntown. Browntown is closer to Jonesborough than Smithville. True or False? True

FrankDK

> Smithville is around 50 kilometres due north of Jonesborough. Jonesborough is around 50 kilometres due north of Browntown. Browntown is closer to Jonesborough than Smithville. True or False?

Indeterminate, because of the vagueness of the statement.  Does it mean, "Browntown is closer to Jonesborough than Smithville [is]," or  "Browntown is closer to Jonesborough than [it is to] Smithville"?

Frank

Solitary

Quote from: "mykcob4"Premises Conclusion Follows? Answer

All men are mortal.  Yes  

Socrates is mortal. Socrates is a man. True or False?  True False. Socrates could be a cat.

Either you are in New York or you are in Philadelphia. You are not in New York. You are in Philadelphia. True or False? True

Some dogs are friendly. All dogs are animals. Some animals are friendly. True or False? True

If you won the lottery, you are a millionaire. You are a millionaire. You won the lottery. True or False?  False

No ducks are mammals. No birds are mammals. Some ducks are not birds. True or False? False True. a duck can be a form of cotton clothe.

All humans are mammals. Humans do not have four legs. Some mammals do not have four legs. True or False?  True

Whenever Drug Y is administered, the patient gets better. Whenever Drug Y is not administered, the patient does not get better. Drug Y causes the patient to get better. True or False? True False. The patients could have gotten better without Drug Y and something else.

If you hit the brakes hard, your car will be rear-ended by the car behind you. If you do not hit the brakes hard, you will hit a child in front of you. Either you will hit the child or you will be hit by the car behind you. True or False? True

Whenever you are in Trenton, you are in New Jersey. You are in New Jersey. You are in Trenton. True or False? False

Smithville is around 50 kilometres due north of Jonesborough. Jonesborough is around 50 kilometres due north of Browntown. Browntown is closer to Jonesborough than Smithville. True or False? True

Solitary

Quote from: "FrankDK"> Smithville is around 50 kilometres due north of Jonesborough. Jonesborough is around 50 kilometres due north of Browntown. Browntown is closer to Jonesborough than Smithville. True or False?

Indeterminate, because of the vagueness of the statement.  Does it mean, "Browntown is closer to Jonesborough than Smithville [is]," or  "Browntown is closer to Jonesborough than [it is to] Smithville"?

Frank

Browntown is 50 kilometers from Jonesborough, but Smithville is 100 kilometers from Jonesborough, even if it is 50K from Browntown. :-o  Solitary

FrankDK

Quote from: "Solitary"
Quote from: "FrankDK"> Smithville is around 50 kilometres due north of Jonesborough. Jonesborough is around 50 kilometres due north of Browntown. Browntown is closer to Jonesborough than Smithville. True or False?

Frank

Jonesborough is 50 kilometers from Smithville, and Browntown is 100 kilometers from Smithville.     Smithville---is 50 K from Jonesborough---and Jonesborough is 50L from Browntown---and so Browntown is closer to Jonesborough than Smithville.  :-o  Solitary

You're missing the point.  I understand the geography.  The question is ambiguous.    Does it mean, "Browntown is closer to Jonesborough than Smithville [is],"or  "Browntown is closer to Jonesborough than [it is to] Smithville"?  The former would be false, because Browntown and Smithville are both 50K from Jonesborough.  The latter would be true for the reason you gave.  By leaving out the part in square brackets, you leave the statement open to interpretation.

Frank

surly74

I'm having a hard time making sense of this one. Its probably the wording becuase it's horrendous...or is that the point?

the two statements don't seem to matter to each other either. The question is can some ducks not be birds? You say False (thereby all ducks are birds) but then say a duck can be a cotton fabric.

No ducks are mammals. (meaning anytime you have a mammal you know it's never a duck)
No birds are mammals (a bird can never be a mammal, so based on this, ducks can never be a mammal and neither can a bird, not knowing if ducks can be birds).

Therefore:
Some ducks are not birds. TrueFalse (False.)
(we don't know if ducks can be birds or not. Not enough to go on so for me the answer is True, some ducks, not all, could be birds or not birds...but some could be.)

If it was false then either all ducks had to be birds or not birds. A duck can be a cotton fabric but not all ducks are cotton fabrics, some could be and some could still be birds.
God bless those Pagans
--
Homer Simpson

Colanth

"Duck" in this case is ambiguous.  The word can refer to a bird of the family Anatidae, a cloth, a type of vehicle ...
Afflicting the comfortable for 70 years.
Science builds skyscrapers, faith flies planes into them.

AllPurposeAtheist

It's not a logic test, it's a are you fucking paying attention test..
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Solitary

Quote from: "FrankDK"

Frank

Jonesborough is 50 kilometers from Smithville, and Browntown is 100 kilometers from Smithville.     Smithville---is 50 K from Jonesborough---and Jonesborough is 50L from Browntown---and so Browntown is closer to Jonesborough than Smithville.  :-o  Solitary

You're missing the point.  I understand the geography.  The question is ambiguous.    Does it mean, "Browntown is closer to Jonesborough than Smithville [is],"or  "Browntown is closer to Jonesborough than [it is to] Smithville"?  The former would be false, because Browntown and Smithville are both 50K from Jonesborough.  The latter would be true for the reason you gave.  By leaving out the part in square brackets, you leave the statement open to interpretation.

Frank

If you understand the geography you know they all can't be 50K from each other when the are all in line with each other. One has be on the bottom and farther away from the one on top.

I didn't write the test, but it is obvious to me that it is asking if Browntown is closer to Jonesbourogh than Smithville is even if it doesn't say is if they are both are 50K from each other, or it wouldn't even be asking the question which would be obvious when they are the same distance apart that is a given.

"The former would be false, because Browntown and Smithville are both 50K from Jonesborough."  Where does it say that?  Am I missing something?  It says Browntown is 50K from both, so how can they all be 50K from each other when one is on the bottom and one is on the top?  :-k  

Would you like me to provide the second test? Those are not my answers to the test. Solitary

Solitary

Quote from: "FrankDK"

Frank

Frank

:oops:  My bad! My explanation was wrong, but the answer was correct, it should have been Browntown is 50 kilometers from Jonesborough, but Smithville is 100 kilometers from Jonesborough, even if it is 50K from Browntown.  :Hangman:  Solitary

FrankDK

> If you understand the geography you know they all can't be 50K from each other when the are all in line with each other. One has be on the bottom and farther away from the one on top.

> I didn't write the test, but it is obvious to me that it is asking if Browntown is closer to Jonesbourogh than Smithville is even if it doesn't say is if they are both are 50K from each other, or it wouldn't even be asking the question which would be obvious when they are the same distance apart that is a given.

>> "The former would be false, because Browntown and Smithville are both 50K from Jonesborough."  Where does it say that?  Am I missing something?  It says Browntown is 50K from both, so how can they all be 50K from each other when one is on the bottom and one is on the top?  :-k  

> Would you like me to provide the second test? Those are not my answers to the test. Solitary

This shouldn't be this difficult.

I didn't claim that they are all 50 K from each other.  The problem states this:

Smithville

50 K

Jonesborough

50 K

Browntown

So Smithville is not closer to Jonesborough than Browntown is.  Both Smithville and Browntown are 50 K from Jonesborough.  The distance between Smithville and Browntown is irrelevant.  The writer of the test made an assumption, and you happened to make the same assumption.

If it's a logic test, then it should test logic.  If a question is ambiguous, then your answer requires an assumption, which isn't logical.  If you allow assumptions to be made, none of the other examples can be true or false.  The truth or falsehood depends on what assumptions you make and accept.

Here's another similar question:

If a red house is made of red bricks, and a brown house is made of brown bricks, what is a green house made of?

The accepted answer, glass, isn't logical.  It's true, but not logical.  The "if-then" logic offered in the stem of the question should have you answer "green bricks" if you are being logical.  To get the "school solution," you have to make an assumption.

Frank

Solitary

Quote from: "FrankDK"> If you understand the geography you know they all can't be 50K from each other when the are all in line with each other. One has be on the bottom and farther away from the one on top.

> I didn't write the test, but it is obvious to me that it is asking if Browntown is closer to Jonesbourogh than Smithville is even if it doesn't say is if they are both are 50K from each other, or it wouldn't even be asking the question which would be obvious when they are the same distance apart that is a given.

>> "The former would be false, because Browntown and Smithville are both 50K from Jonesborough."  Where does it say that?  Am I missing something?  It says Browntown is 50K from both, so how can they all be 50K from each other when one is on the bottom and one is on the top?  :-k  

> Would you like me to provide the second test? Those are not my answers to the test. Solitary

This shouldn't be this difficult.

I didn't claim that they are all 50 K from each other.  The problem states this:

Smithville

50 K

Jonesborough

50 K

Browntown  It doesn't say that. It says Browntown is 50K from Jonesborough, and 50K from Smithville, not Smithville 50K from Jonesborough. Isn't logic fun?  :lol:

So Smithville is not closer to Jonesborough than Browntown is.  Both Smithville and Browntown are 50 K from Jonesborough.  The distance between Smithville and Browntown is irrelevant.  The writer of the test made an assumption, and you happened to make the same assumption.

If it's a logic test, then it should test logic.  If a question is ambiguous, The question is not ambiguous at all, you are the one putting assumptions into it. Honest. then your answer requires an assumption, which isn't logical.  If you allow assumptions to be made, none of the other examples can be true or false.  The truth or falsehood depends on what assumptions you make and accept.

Here's another similar question:

If a red house is made of red bricks, and a brown house is made of brown bricks, what is a green house made of?

The accepted answer, glass, isn't logical.  It's true, but not logical.  The "if-then" logic offered in the stem of the question should have you answer "green bricks" if you are being logical.  To get the "school solution," you have to make an assumption.

Frank

:oops: My explanation was wrong even if the answer was correct. It should be:Browntown is 50 kilometers from Jonesborough, but Smithville is 100 kilometers from Jonesborough, even if it is 50K from Browntown. Sorry about that! My bad. But the answer is still correct even if I explained it wrong. It is a difficult question and why I got confused explaining it, but it is all logical. Solitary

entropy

It seems a little odd to ask whether the syllogisms are true or false rather than valid or invalid. The conclusion could be true even if the major and/or minor premise is false and the syllogism is fallacious in form.

For example, the first syllogism:

All men are mortal.

Socrates is mortal.

[Therefore] Socrates is a man.

The form of this argument is fallacious. It is an example of the fallacy of the undistributed middle [//http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallacy_of_the_undistributed_middle]. Even if the major and minor premises are true, the conclusion does not follow from the premises. Whether or not the conclusion as statement of a claim on its own is true is independent of the prior premises.

That's why I think it would be better to ask if the syllogisms are valid or invalid in form rather than true or false - since "true or false" can refer to the status of each of the premises and the conclusion and the truth or falsity of each is independent of whether or not the form of the syllogism is valid. Or you could ask if the syllogism is sound or not. A sound syllogism is one where the premises are true and the syllogism has a valid form.