News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Fatwa on croissants

Started by gussy, August 15, 2013, 01:25:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gussy

//http://english.alarabiya.net/en/variety/2013/07/30/Aleppo-rebel-religious-committee-forbids-colonial-croissants.html

QuoteAl Arabiya

A sharia committee in a rebel-held area of Aleppo issued a fatwa deeming croissants 'haram' (forbidden in Islamic law) because of their "colonial" significance, pan-Arab daily Asharq al-Awsat reported on Tuesday.

Croissants' crescent shape celebrates European victory over Muslims, according to the fatwa (religious ruling).

Reporting on the story, the Huffington Post provided a link to a document posted on Twitter and linked to Sheikh Abu Mohammed of the Islamic court Hai'aa al-Sharia.

Some internet sources ridiculed the alleged fatwa as baseless and lacking any links to any Syrian group.

Rebel-controlled areas of the Syrian city have experienced several strict fatwas recently from Islamic sharia committees.

Such edicts are uncommon in Aleppo's society, which usually adheres to moderate Islamic teachings, Asharq al-Awsat reported.

A sharia committee in the city issued a fatwa on Facebook prohibiting "Muslim women wearing makeup and tight clothes that reveal physical features from going out."

A fatwa issued by the Council of the United Judiciary, affiliated with the rebel Free Syrian Army, stipulated a year in jail for anyone not fasting during the holy month of Ramadan.

Samir Nashar, a member of the opposition Syrian National Coalition, called on the FSA to unite its forces in Aleppo and work to prevent the expansion of these committees.

There are civil movements resisting the extremist tendencies of such committees, he told Asharq al-Awsat.

I'd like to believe that this is fake but who knows with these people.

Minimalist

QuoteCroissants' crescent shape celebrates European victory over Muslims

Wouldn't a cross be more symbolic of "victory?"
The Christian church, in its attitude toward science, shows the mind of a more or less enlightened man of the Thirteenth Century. It no longer believes that the earth is flat, but it is still convinced that prayer can cure after medicine fails.

-- H. L. Mencken

Hydra009

Allegedly, the croissant celebrates the defeat of the Ottoman Empire at the Battle of Vienna.  But the story is disputed and its not clear why the croissant has its distinctive shape.

Solitary

Oh how people react to symbolism, religious icons, and anything counter to their delusions!  I think I'll raise a Communist flag and stomp on an American flag and see what happens. I will be glad when I cease to exist in this world that is more fitting as a work of a devil rather than a God. After studying about every religion I have come to the conclusion that religion is the work of a devil pretending to be God. Not really, but it sure as hell seems like it's the work of a mad man.  :roll:  Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Hydra009

Quote from: "Solitary"Oh how people react to symbolism, religious icons, and anything counter to their delusions!  I think I'll raise a Communist flag and stomp on an American flag and see what happens.
If it's anywhere near the ever-so-open-minded Heartland, I'd pay up my life insurance first.

stromboli

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Croissant

QuoteFanciful stories of how the Kipferl — and so, ultimately, the croissant — was created are widespread and persistent culinary legends, at least one going back to the 19th century.[12] However, there are no contemporary sources for any of these stories, nor does an aristocratic writer, writing in 1799, mention the Kipferl in a long and extensive list of breakfast foods.[13]
The legends include tales that it was invented in Europe to celebrate the defeat of the Umayyad forces at the Battle of Tours by the Franks in 732, with the shape representing the Islamic crescent;[14] that it was invented in Vienna in 1683 to celebrate the defeat of the Ottomans by Christian forces in the siege of the city, as a reference to the crescents on the Ottoman flags, when bakers staying up all night heard the tunneling operation and gave the alarm.[12] This has lead to croissants being banned by some Islamic fundementalists.[15]

Pretty much describes the kind of meat brain thinking we can expect of the religious.

Jutter

Well... then no cronuts for them either! [-(
No religion for me thank you very much; I 'm full of shit enough as it is.

Being flabbergasted about existence never made anyone disappear in a poof of flabbergas, so nevermind why we're here. We ARE here.

AllPurposeAtheist

Silly motherfuckers.. It's not tough to see why some people throw their hands up and say kill them all. I don't agree with that, but it's understandable. Perhaps they should just kill the clergy and use the same threat to anyone even thinking of taking their place.. who knows?
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Youssuf Ramadan

You'd think they've got more important things to think about wouldn't you?....  :lol:

Colanth

Quote from: "Youssuf Ramadan"You'd think they've got more important things to think about wouldn't you?....  :lol:
They probably would ... if they COULD think.
Afflicting the comfortable for 70 years.
Science builds skyscrapers, faith flies planes into them.

Solitary

Quote from: "Youssuf Ramadan"You'd think they've got more important things to think about wouldn't you?....  :lol:

Yeah! But those 72 virgins in heaven are something to think about when you can't touch them on earth unless you marry them. Radical religious beliefs of people and their value judgments are so screwed up it is unbelievable from their religious dogma that is considered sacred no matter how stupid it is.  :roll:  Solitary

AllPurposeAtheist

Wait till they learn that round bread was the same shape as a cannon ball from the top :-$ :-k
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Solitary

Would that be like a cone that is a circle and a point from the top looking down?  :-?  Solitary

Youssuf Ramadan

Quote from: "Solitary"Yeah! But those 72 virgins in heaven are something to think about when you can't touch them on earth unless you marry them. Radical religious beliefs of people and their value judgments are so screwed up it is unbelievable from their religious dogma that is considered sacred no matter how stupid it is.  :roll:  Solitary

72 women with no sexual experience and rivers of milk and honey?  This speaks more of the paucity of the Islamic imagination than the glory of Allah.  If by some miracle I should head upwards after my demise, I want to be snorting a line of chang out of the asscrack of a big-titted whore before getting stuck in up to my nuts, not getting a finger-tip handjob from some cock-shy debutante.    :twisted:

These men must be helluva worried about their own sexual inadequacies if they insist on virgins.  I guess it makes them feel better if their sexual partner has nothing to compare them to.   :lol:

baronvonrort

Quote from: "Youssuf Ramadan"
Quote from: "Solitary"Yeah! But those 72 virgins in heaven are something to think about when you can't touch them on earth unless you marry them. Radical religious beliefs of people and their value judgments are so screwed up it is unbelievable from their religious dogma that is considered sacred no matter how stupid it is.  :roll:  Solitary

72 women with no sexual experience and rivers of milk and honey?  This speaks more of the paucity of the Islamic imagination than the glory of Allah.  If by some miracle I should head upwards after my demise, I want to be snorting a line of chang out of the asscrack of a big-titted whore before getting stuck in up to my nuts, not getting a finger-tip handjob from some cock-shy debutante.    :twisted:

These men must be helluva worried about their own sexual inadequacies if they insist on virgins.  I guess it makes them feel better if their sexual partner has nothing to compare them to.   :lol:

What about the rivers of wine? The Islamic afterlife is like owning a brothel combined with a tavern for men.

If wine is allowed in the afterlife perhaps ass to mouth is ok too, there is a verse saying these houris will have shit that does not stink.