Reasons why I think gay marriage should be banned.

Started by Aleps, August 14, 2013, 01:34:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mermaid

Quote from: "jansnyder"I dont care if they get married, but isnt gay marriage a sort of oxymoron, since it's a religious institution, the same religion that basically bans homosexuality?  
It's not a religious institution anymore. It's become more of a legal one.
My marriage is certainly not a religious one, but if I were in the hospital, my husband would be able to make choices on my behalf. He would receive benefits if I died. Can't say the same for most gay couples.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Johan

Quote from: "jansnyder"
Quote from: "Mermaid"
Quote from: "jansnyder"I dont care if they get married, but isnt gay marriage a sort of oxymoron, since it's a religious institution, the same religion that basically bans homosexuality?  
It's not a religious institution anymore. It's become more of a legal one.
My marriage is certainly not a religious one, but if I were in the hospital, my husband would be able to make choices on my behalf. He would receive benefits if I died. Can't say the same for most gay couples.

I still see it has religious stigmas, even if it is a state institution.

I've never been married but am heterosexual. I don't know too much about it. I only know what people complain about, and many marriages seem to end poorly between heterosexuals. I also can only barely feel emotions like love due to stunted emotional development, so even when they talk about love between gays, it is sort of over my head. Like, it's great you feel "love" or whatever, but frankly it has nothing to do with me, and I only have a limited ability to empathise with you, sense I don't feel this emotion overly much myself.
No one is asking you to empathize. If you don't understand the attraction of marriage in general then there is no point in trying to explain to you why gay marriage is important to people. But you don't have to understand why people desire marriage to understand that in our current legal system, marriage affords people certain rights and privileges. No religion is involved or required for those rights and privileges to be enjoyed therefore no religion is required for people to want to get married. And because marriage affords individuals certain rights and privileges that it doesn't afford to non-married couples, denying marriage to certain couples is nothing less than discriminatory. That is all anyone need understand about the topic.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

Johan

Quote from: "Aupmanyav"Will gay and lesbian relationships reduce the number of children born? Demographic concern.
There are more children being born now than ever before. And there are more gay and lesbian relationships now than ever before. That being said, I can't help but wonder what demographic you're specifically concerned about.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

Colanth

Quote from: "Johan"
Quote from: "Aupmanyav"Will gay and lesbian relationships reduce the number of children born? Demographic concern.
There are more children being born now than ever before. And there are more gay and lesbian relationships now than ever before. That being said, I can't help but wonder what demographic you're specifically concerned about.
Probably the false claim that gays and lesbians don't have children.  (But maybe would if they got married?  Or their getting married would take a breeding pair out of circulation?)  Gay marriage and the number of children being born really have little to do with one another, so there's no "Demographic" to worry about.
Afflicting the comfortable for 70 years.
Science builds skyscrapers, faith flies planes into them.

Mermaid

Quote from: "Colanth"
Quote from: "Johan"
Probably the false claim that gays and lesbians don't have children.  (But maybe would if they got married?  Or their getting married would take a breeding pair out of circulation?)  Gay marriage and the number of children being born really have little to do with one another, so there's no "Demographic" to worry about.
Exactly.

Plus, why does anyone care whether couples can or cannot reproduce? That is such a nonsequitur.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Nonsensei

Marriage: Betting someone half your stuff that you'll love them until the day you die.
And on the wings of a dream so far beyond reality
All alone in desperation now the time has come
Lost inside you\'ll never find, lost within my own mind
Day after day this misery must go on

Colanth

Quote from: "Mermaid"Plus, why does anyone care whether couples can or cannot reproduce? That is such a nonsequitur.
So is "if gays can marry, that cheapens my marriage", but it's one of Christianity's main arguments against gay marriage.
Afflicting the comfortable for 70 years.
Science builds skyscrapers, faith flies planes into them.

Aupmanyav

Quote from: "Plu"I'd consider that a valid argument if the "population of the earth graphs" didn't look like this: (Image)
:) I am not talking of the whole world. We will continue our way. The concern is for US, Europe, Japan, etc.
Quote from: "Jason_Harvestdancer"And if a gay and lesbian wanted to marry, they wouldn't really be gay and lesbian, would they?
The marriage IMHO would be legal and could be good companionship, each doing what one likes the best.
"Brahma Satyam Jagan-mithya" (Brahman is the truth, the observed is an illusion)
"Sarve Khalu Idam Brahma" (All this here is Brahman)

Johan

Quote from: "Aupmanyav"
Quote from: "Plu"I'd consider that a valid argument if the "population of the earth graphs" didn't look like this: (Image)
:) I am not talking of the whole world. We will continue our way. The concern is for US, Europe, Japan, etc.
And  what is the concern exactly? I fail to see why anyone need be concerned about birth rate when it comes to allowing gays and lesbians to marry. Because remember, we're not talking about allowing gay and lesbian couples to exist. They already exist and will continue to do so. All we're talking about is granting them the same rights and privileges that heterosexual couples have available. I cannot imagine how the birth rate would be significantly effected one way or the other if gays were allowed to marry so I fail to see why this is a concern.

GSOgymrat

Gays and lesbians are not sterile. I have a gay coworker who, with his male partner, have three biological children via a surrogate. There is a lesbian couple with two children in my neighborhood. The population argument is silly, particularly considering the real concern is overpopulation. I suspect if gay marriage were socially acceptable parents would be pressuring their gay children to "settle down and start a family" like they do with their straight children.

Plu

Quote from: "Aupmanyav"
[/quote]

For one, it's not those countries we should be worried about. Those countries are going to be fine. It's the underdeveloped countries we should worry about, because they're having way too many children and they aren't able to support them.

For second, if you want more kids you don't need to care about gay marriage, you need to care about education, intelligence, and atheism. Those are the things that cause people to have a sensible and sustainable number of children.

(Those first two reasons are also why stupid religious people can now have 15 kids and expect all of them to live through puberty.)