Reasons why I think gay marriage should be banned.

Started by Aleps, August 14, 2013, 01:34:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WitchSabrina

There's only one reason to get all caught up in someone else's decision to marry and that's CONTROLLING other people. And wanting to control other people (other than unlawful/harmful acts) is straight up bullshit and what has ruined this planet from beginning of time.  It's called:   (wait for it)................   religion.
I am currently experiencing life at several WTFs per hour.

Aupmanyav

Will gay and lesbian relationships reduce the number of children born? Demographic concern.
"Brahma Satyam Jagan-mithya" (Brahman is the truth, the observed is an illusion)
"Sarve Khalu Idam Brahma" (All this here is Brahman)

Plu

Quote from: "Aupmanyav"Will gay and lesbian relationships reduce the number of children born? Demographic concern.

I'd consider that a valid argument if the "population of the earth graphs" didn't look like this:

SGOS

Quote from: "WitchSabrina"There's only one reason to get all caught up in someone else's decision to marry and that's CONTROLLING other people.  
And making sure they clearly understand that they are "less than".

stromboli

Quote from: "SGOS"
Quote from: "WitchSabrina"There's only one reason to get all caught up in someone else's decision to marry and that's CONTROLLING other people.  
And making sure they clearly understand that they are "less than".

This. Prop 8 was nothing but an effort to reduce gays to 2nd class citizens, at best.

Thumpalumpacus

Yes, "protection of marriage" acts are essentially an effort to enforce another form of Jim Crow.
<insert witty aphorism here>

Colanth

Quote from: "Aupmanyav"Will gay and lesbian relationships reduce the number of children born? Demographic concern.
Relationships may have an effect on the number of children born, but whether those relationships are marriages or just people living together won't have much of an effect.  It's no longer the stigma it used to be to be living with someone without being married.
Afflicting the comfortable for 70 years.
Science builds skyscrapers, faith flies planes into them.

The Skeletal Atheist

Not in a significant amount. Considering that gay and lesbian people don't tend to have children anyways unless forced to as a way to hide their sexuality, I don't think the demographics would change if we just let them be.
Some people need to be beaten with a smart stick.

Kein Mehrheit Fur Die Mitleid!

Kein Mitlied F�r Die Mehrheit!

FrankDK

> Marriage is a personal relationship between two people. The government should have nothing to do with it.

It's mostly politicians who claim to be conservative, that is, who say they want the least government interference in private affairs, who advocate this government interference in private affairs.

Frak

Jason Harvestdancer

What, nobody has any comments on my anti-gay-marriage argument?  I worked real hard on it.
White privilege is being a lifelong racist, then being sent to the White House twice because your running mate is a minority.<br /><br />No Biden, no KKK, no Fascist USA!

GSOgymrat

Quote from: "Jason_Harvestdancer"What, nobody has any comments on my anti-gay-marriage argument?  I worked real hard on it.

Teh gays are threatening to do just what you suggest://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-YCdcnf_P8

Mermaid

Quote from: "Plu"

I'd consider that a valid argument if the "population of the earth graphs" didn't look like this:

[ Image ]
Or if gayness were hereditary.

Gay marriage should be banned because it makes a mockery of the sanctity of marriage! The two mommies next door directly affect MY life and MY marriage because....

Um.

Because....

Er.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: "drunkenshoe"
Quote from: "GSOgymrat"Teh gays are threatening to do just what you suggest://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-YCdcnf_P8

Oh I remember this. :rollin: Brilliant.
yes indeed! :lol:
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

surly74

Quote from: "GSOgymrat"I think marriage should be a legal contract designed by the participants with a limited duration, an option to renew and a built in pre-nup. The participants get married for, let's say, 3 years and see how it goes. If either decides not to renew they follow the rules for ending the contract regarding property and move on. There would be a section specifying whether children are expected and what the course of action will be if an unexpected child is produced. Any number of adults of any gender could enter a contractual marriage.

this already exists...it's called not getting married.
God bless those Pagans
--
Homer Simpson

Colanth

Quote from: "jansnyder"I dont care if they get married, but isnt gay marriage a sort of oxymoron, since it's a religious institution, the same religion that basically bans homosexuality?
If that's all marriage were, a religious thing, there couldn't be any legal ban on gay marriage.  (The Constitution bans the government from regulating internal church matters.)  But marriage is a civil (legal) thing.  Married spouses have rights vis-a-vis the other spouse, children and the government that unmarried people, even people faithfully living together for decades, but without a marriage contract, don't have.

If the government got completely out of the marriage business, the entire gay marriage question would disappear.  Then if a gay couple wanted to get married (it would be solely a church function), they'd find a church that would marry them and get married.  But the government (read: people) will never give up the "right" to issue marriage licenses and certificates, so gay marriage remains an issue until people realize that, unless it's them who's getting married, it's none of their concern.
Afflicting the comfortable for 70 years.
Science builds skyscrapers, faith flies planes into them.