News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Delusion or Scam?

Started by ZachyFTW, August 13, 2013, 11:47:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZachyFTW

[youtube:15qaptac]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVi1GAHrILI[/youtube:15qaptac]

Either a very delusional guy or a brilliant con man. He had me thinking: "Wow, this is really a good story."

Then the video ended and I went back to my previous conclusion of "God" being bullshit  :rolleyes:   :rollin:
"If you wake up tomorrow morning and say a few Latin words over your pancakes thinking that they will turn into Elvis Presley, then you have lost your mind. Do the same with a cracker and Jesus, then you\'re just a Catholic."- Sam Harris

SGOS

So why then do we even need a healthcare bill?

SGOS

Quote from: "ZachyFTW"Writer posted a YouTube video
He had me thinking: "Wow, this is really a good story."

The part that convinced me was the mellow background music.  Yeah, I'm pretty sure it was the music.

PickelledEggs

SGOS

I think the word I'm looking for is "schmaltzy".

Solitary

I don't believe his story or that he was an atheist! I have out-of-body experiences and was dying in my back yard, and was also pronounced dead because my heart stopped, and I have worked in an emergency room in a hospital and nothing he says have I ever seen happen. especially not being able to get help for emergency surgery. It's just more BS from the theist. Good call!  This supports better health care unless you want to pray away physical conditions. Good luck with that. :rollin:  Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Aleps

Quote from: "Solitary"I don't believe his story or that he was an atheist! I have out-of-body experiences and was dying in my back yard, and was also pronounced dead because my heart stopped, and I have worked in an emergency room in a hospital and nothing he says have I ever seen happen. especially not being able to get help for emergency surgery. It's just more BS from the theist. Good call!  This supports better health care unless you want to pray away physical conditions. Good luck with that. :rollin:  Solitary

I think we need to shut down public hospitals, and pay churches to exorcise demons and pray for dying people.
A miserable heathen scum with no meaning in life.

ZachyFTW

Quote from: "SGOS"So why then do we even need a healthcare bill?

Healthcare? That would imply that praying doesn't solve everything. We can't have any of that thinking, or for that matter any thinking at all.
"If you wake up tomorrow morning and say a few Latin words over your pancakes thinking that they will turn into Elvis Presley, then you have lost your mind. Do the same with a cracker and Jesus, then you\'re just a Catholic."- Sam Harris

Plu

QuoteI think we need to shut down public hospitals, and pay churches to exorcise demons and pray for dying people.

We should just give people the choice. Either your insurance gets you regular healthcare, or you get prayer-based healing only if there's a problem.

It'll probably thin the herd quite a bit.

Cyanne

Aw. What a cute fantasy/hallucination.

Terrified of death because of being an atheist? Because you know. Eternal nonexistence is so much worse than eternal damnation.

I used to be afraid that if a plane crashed on top of me when I was sneaking an extra cookie, I would go straight to hell.

Plu

QuoteI used to be afraid that if a plane crashed on top of me when I was sneaking an extra cookie, I would go straight to hell.

But you still took the cookie :P Shows how effective the whole thing was with all the fear and bad side effects it causes.

SGOS

Quote from: "Cyanne"Terrified of death because of being an atheist?
Yeah, that was an immediate tip off that the thing was bogus.  I suppose some atheists are afraid of death, and maybe he was one of them.  But someone should tip off theists that using that dramatic ploy in videos and forums tends to undermine their credibility as former atheists.

GSOgymrat

He strikes me as sincere and he seems to truly believe he went to hell and was saved by Jesus; I don't think this is a scam. If I had a similarly profound experience, convinced that it was real and that people's fate were in jeopardy, I would probably be telling people about my experience too. He most likely was in a delirium induced by extreme pain (I can even imagine feeling "torn apart" and then euphoric after being given a shot of morphine) but I wouldn't argue with this guy that his experience wasn't real because I'm sure it felt real to him.

Antyla

The moment he mentions Jesus I knew it was a scam & not even a delusion.What about Muslims who dream of Muhammad & the Muslim Jesus though? Oh yeah, my bad. It's the work of the devil.

SGOS

There is a clear difference between insight and hallucination.  An insight is an often sudden understanding that changes one's perception.  This guy is describing a hallucination (queue actress dressed in lovely angel attire walking through white veils using a softened exposure when the Jesus actor reads the appropriate lines in the script where she appears).

And when the light springs forth from the darkness, the main character, calling on theatrics first devised by Cecil B. DeMille in 1940's Hollywood, looks up dramatically with the prerequisite defensive arm shielding his eyes from the brightness as if in fear.  He arches his back and then slowing rising toward the light in wonder, he accepts the inevitable and understands he is being embraced by a divine power so strong that he must finally succumb.  And finally, after a long life of atheistic debauchery, he finds salvation as the music crescendos and his battle of self comes to an end.

Dim the lights and close curtains.