News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Split decision: What to buy?

Started by wolf39us, August 12, 2013, 10:21:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Plu

He can't, but he can hear text. There's plenty of tools around that will read out a website to you. As long as it's properly formatted. Which it usually isn't, because most websites are made by incompetent derps.

Farroc

QuoteHe can't, but he can hear text. There's plenty of tools around that will read out a website to you. As long as it's properly formatted. Which it usually isn't, because most websites are made by incompetent derps.
Oooohhhhhh. I bet my greeting to him on his intro post is going to be confusing to him then. :-?
"The idea of getting a, y\'know, syringe full of heroin and shooting it in the vein under my cock right now seems like almost a productive act." -Bill Hicks

Plu

I don't think the guy is literally blind... I think it's just a figure of speech.

Farroc

QuoteI don't think the guy is literally blind... I think it's just a figure of speech.
Could've had a v8!
"The idea of getting a, y\'know, syringe full of heroin and shooting it in the vein under my cock right now seems like almost a productive act." -Bill Hicks

SGOS

Of all my bikes, my recumbent was by far my favorite.  It was very good for longer distances.  Besides being more comfortable in that odd riding position, your head is naturally looking forward, rather than down at the pavement.  I found that position most enjoyable, and was much more aware of my surroundings while riding.

I eventually bought riding shoes with toe clips because I lost control once when my feet slipped off the pedals.  You can see how that could happen easier on a recumbent.  If you get the design with the handle bars in the front, I think it's a bit safer if that happens, because it won't throw your body forward in a foot slip.  I had under the seat steering, which was actually very comfortable, but gives you nothing to push against in a foot slip.

I didn't crash that time, but I was at high speed down a long hill, and I fought tooth and nail not to fall.

wolf39us

Interesting SGOS, I've heard of the infamous foot slip... Or even your foot being yanked backwards!  All in all though I also hear that the damage you (usually) take is significantly less compared to an upright due to the relative distance to the ground.

I've never once ridden a recumbent and there is a rental place on a local paved trail that will rent out nice ones for $50/day.  I'm thinking of giving that a go.  The girlfriend and I can have a nice day out together on the trail!  But unfortunately our days are close to 95F and make it difficult to do much riding.

Youssuf Ramadan

I guess the recumbent is ok if you're interested solely in road riding.  I prefer off-road, so it wouldn't be my choice.  Either way, outside in the fresh air is a better buzz than doing something indoors IMO.

wolf39us

Like I said, it's hot as shit out right now for at least the next few months

SGOS

Quote from: "wolf39us"I've heard of the infamous foot slip... Or even your foot being yanked backwards!
Yeah, when your feet fall off the pedals and hit the pavement, it sends your upper body into a forward lurch that wrecks your balance.  Handlebars in front may keep that from happening.  But shoes with toe cleats make it very secure, although it takes some practice hooking them to the pedals.

Recumbents are also awkward to get rolling.  The first time I rode one, another guy ran along with me like you do with a little kid to get them started.  I've done it for first timers myself.

SGOS

Quote from: "Youssuf Ramadan"I guess the recumbent is ok if you're interested solely in road riding.  I prefer off-road, so it wouldn't be my choice.  Either way, outside in the fresh air is a better buzz than doing something indoors IMO.
Pretty much pavement only.  I also had a mountain bike.

Jutter

Go for the DDR pads. Why? Because otherwise you'll soon decide the airodynamics could be improved on also, and that's a slippery slope to looking like a right twat.

Keep your goofy looking hobbies indoors. :twisted:  :P
No religion for me thank you very much; I 'm full of shit enough as it is.

Being flabbergasted about existence never made anyone disappear in a poof of flabbergas, so nevermind why we're here. We ARE here.

wolf39us

I bought the DDR pads -- they are coming in a couple weeks :-)