Judge Rules NYPD Stop-and-Frisk Practice Violates Rights

Started by Jack89, August 13, 2013, 08:36:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colanth

Quote from: "Nonsensei"
Quote from: "Colanth"
Quote from: "Nonsensei"Its no assumption that racism is rampant in the NYPD. A 3 second google search would show you that.
A 3 second Google search will show you that racism is rampant in the US, but if you live here, you'll know that it doesn't pervade everyday life as much as a Google search can make it appear.

Are there racist cops in NYC?  Sure.  There are racists in ANY group of 33,000 people.  Is racism "rampant" in NYPD?  No more so than it is among the 8.2 million population of the city.  I'm more concerned with cops who think they're above the law.

Thats a presumption based on some shaky logic
It's an observation, not an assumption.  An observation made while a member of the group.

QuoteI think the ethical burn out limit for NYPD officers is remarkably low and it never recovers. New cops get on the job, see ethnic people doing nasty shit for a couple months, and whitewash the whole community. A force of empowered bigots.
Is that what it really looks like to a civilian NYC resident?  Then you're claiming that most residents aren't very good at knowing what they're looking at.

Are there some cops who let power go to their heads?  Sure.  Are there cops who think everyone is like the people they have to deal with?  Sure.  Is the majority like that?  No.  You hear about the bad ones, because that's news.  "Cop spends 8 hours not seeing anyone commit a crime" doesn't do it for the media, but that's the normal tour - "nothing much happened".
Afflicting the comfortable for 70 years.
Science builds skyscrapers, faith flies planes into them.

Colanth

Quote from: "Atheon"
Quote from: "Colanth"A 3 second Google search will show you that racism is rampant in the US, but if you live here, you'll know that it doesn't pervade everyday life as much as a Google search can make it appear.
That depends in great part on the color of one's skin.
It depends greatly on the difference in the color of one's skin from the color of another's skin.

QuoteI've never experienced racism in the US that was directed at me, because I'm white.
Try living in a predominantly black area.  The slow service (or no service) you get is because of your skin color.  And that's racism.  I'm not saying it's rampant, but it's there.  Are there more white bigots?  Probably.  Is a larger PERCENTAGE of the white population bigoted?  I don't think so.

PopeyesPappy

Quote from: "Colanth"Are there more white bigots?  Probably.  Is a larger PERCENTAGE of the white population bigoted?  I don't think so.
Sadly I have to agree with this. Yes there are more racially prejudiced white people in the US than there are racially prejudiced black people. There may even be more racially prejudiced white people in the US than there are blacks in the US period. But the percentage of prejudiced whites isn't any higher than the percentage of prejudiced blacks.
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

Colanth

Quote from: "PopeyesPappy"But the percentage of prejudiced whites isn't any higher than the percentage of prejudiced blacks.
And it's WAY too high in both cases.