News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

"What if you're wrong?"

Started by ZachyFTW, August 11, 2013, 11:06:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZachyFTW

The question that I get asked by Christians mostly. This is their way of trying to scare me into believing the bullshit laced text that is all religion. I usually just say "What if 2 plus 2 didn't equal 4", to which they usually respond "But it does." which sets me up for a highly cocky "EXACTLY". I've been thinking a lot lately about what I would say if all the bullshit was actually true. What would I say if the second after I died I was talking to God. I'd probably ask why shit on earth is so fucked up. War, hunger, sickness, Rush Limbaugh, etc... Christians do have a good point if you look past all the horseshit for a second. If they're right I'm fucked, but if I'm right not shit happens to them. I think I'll take my chances  :rollin:
"If you wake up tomorrow morning and say a few Latin words over your pancakes thinking that they will turn into Elvis Presley, then you have lost your mind. Do the same with a cracker and Jesus, then you\'re just a Catholic."- Sam Harris

the_antithesis

That phrases pisses me off like Hitler babies because christians usually save that for the end of the argument to try and turn a loss, or at least a stalemate, into a win. Someone pulls that shit on me, I go off on them. It's almost temping to become a famous atheist just so I can get into a big debate with some apologist and then yell the fuck at him for trying to pull that shit. That and getting to rape people at conferences, apparently.

Solitary

If I'm wrong, God would love me for using the brain he gave me instead of kissing His ass.  :shock:  :rollin: Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Hijiri Byakuren

If I'm wrong, I plan to ask God how the genocide of the Native Americans fits into his plan.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

mykcob4

Quote from: "ZachyFTW"The question that I get asked by Christians mostly. This is their way of trying to scare me into believing the bullshit laced text that is all religion. I usually just say "What if 2 plus 2 didn't equal 4", to which they usually respond "But it does." which sets me up for a highly cocky "EXACTLY". I've been thinking a lot lately about what I would say if all the bullshit was actually true. What would I say if the second after I died I was talking to God. I'd probably ask why shit on earth is so fucked up. War, hunger, sickness, Rush Limbaugh, etc... Christians do have a good point if you look past all the horseshit for a second. If they're right I'm fucked, but if I'm right not shit happens to them. I think I'll take my chances  :rollin:
We get this question on the forum all the time. "What if you're wrong, isn't better to be safe than sorry?" It's a nonstarter. The thing is there is a multitude of what ifs.  In the Marine Corps we have a statement for what ifs. "What if grasshoppers had .45s, then birds wouldn't fuck with them." What if there is a purple cow running everything and YOU christians are praying to the wrong thing? I don't buy this better to be safe than sorry crap. In my college speech class a particular young girl gave a speech that amounted to: "We should all follow god's rule because society would be better off. We should teach our children to be good christians because  society would be better off." I put it to her that society has been teaching that crap for centuries and it hasn't produced better societies. There is no god's rule, only rules made up by people saying that some god has dictated it. She was pissed.
I think, no I know the best thing is for people to use logic and understanding to make up their own mind. That the god theory has no basis in fact or logic. That the theist have to brainwash children to perpetuate their nonsense.

Plu

I'm not a gambler, so if there's a 1 in 8000 chance to avoid a bad afterlife by dedicating my whole life to a gamble, then I'm just going to say "thanks but no thanks".

Thumpalumpacus

I've got a list of questions I'd ask any god if my atheism is shown wrong, depending on which god it is.

That last clause is important to my usual response, which is, "I bet Zeus will be upset" -- thus underlining the issue that they too could be wrong about their choice of deity.
<insert witty aphorism here>

GSOgymrat

Quote from: "the_antithesis"That phrases pisses me off like Hitler babies... .

LOL! I've never heard that expression before.

No one has ever asked me "what if you're wrong?" There are several reasons why this phrase doesn't really mean anything but I think I would respond "Do you think God could tell if I was faking faith?"

The Christian phrase that irks me is "Christians aren't perfect, just forgiven."

SGOS

Quote from: "mykcob4"We get this question on the forum all the time. "What if you're wrong, isn't better to be safe than sorry?" It's a nonstarter.
If it was just a matter of being a good person, what's the problem?  But then they say, "You have to believe, or you go to Hell."  The problem there is that belief is not a choice.  You can go to church and memorize the 10 Commandments, but you still get a one way ticket to Hell if you don't believe.

At one time I wanted to believe, I read the Bible and prayed, but the more I did those things, the less I believed, because the more I learned about it, the more it sounded like nonsense.  I can't change that.  It sounds like nonsense and there's no way to believe it doesn't sound like nonsense.  And try as I might, I just not wired to believe something that sounds like nonsense.

"Ahh, but it's not nonsense," they say, "It's totally real."  Well, so they say.  I just don't see the evidence.  Evidence would help a lot.  Then it might not sound like nonsense if there were some proper evidence.  But nope!  You've gotta believe.

Colanth

What if they're wrong, and the real god sends all Christians to hell no matter how they've lived?

Quote from: "GSOgymrat"The Christian phrase that irks me is "Christians aren't perfect, just forgiven."
Not forgiven by the only ones who matter - the ones they've wronged.
Afflicting the comfortable for 70 years.
Science builds skyscrapers, faith flies planes into them.

Brian37

What if a hooker with breasts on her back you were fucking and suddenly she gina snapped your dick in half and you bleed to death because you were busy feeling her back tits when all she wanted was your wallet.

"What if" yea, stupid argument. Credulous people thought the sun was a god. Credulous people thought the earth was flat.
"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers." Obama
Poetry By Brian37 Like my poetry on Facebook Under BrianJames Rational Poet and also at twitter under Brianrrs37

Antyla

What if I am wrong.. Well if I get the chance to speak to the Christian god afterwards, I'll try to explain the situation slowly in order for him to comprehend, since he published the most dense book ever.
In all seriousness though, there are way too many gods to count, so before the Christian comes at you, you come at him or her with the same question.

surly74

What If I'm wrong? Then I will have some explaining to Xenu.

still doesn't mean there is a christian god.
God bless those Pagans
--
Homer Simpson

FrankDK

>  If they're right I'm fucked, but if I'm right not shit happens to them.

Well, no.  Google "pascal's wager refuted."

In short, this is a  faulty dilemma.  Their claim is that either the god they believe in, with the rules they believe in, exists, or no god at all exists.  There are many other possibilities.

What if they are wrong, and the First Catholics are right?  Then they are going to Hell.  What if they are wrong and the Seventh Day Adventists are right?  Then they are going to Hell.  Then there's the Jehovah's Witnesses, Mormons, and myriad other Christian denominations.

What if they're wrong and the Muslims are right?  The Hindus?  Zoroastrians?  What if Thor is the true god?  Zeus?  Any one or more of the thousands of gods people have invented?

It's also false because, if you believe just to avoid Hell, then you really don't believe.  God certainly can't be so stupid as to be fooled by someone's pretending to believe.

According to Matt 21:22, if you believe, everything you pray for will happen.  If someone posing Pascal's Wager to you prays and the thing asked for doesn't happen, then he doesn't really believe, and is going to Hell.  The Bible quotes Jesus as saying, "Sell all that ye have, and give the money to the poor."  If someone really believed, he would do that.  How many of the Christians who pose PW to you have done that?

Frank

WitchSabrina

What if I'm wrong?

Been saying this for years and years:

If the pagans are right - I'm going to have a great next lifetime cause I worked damn hard to be a good person during this one.  Karma is my friend. I am good to go!
If the christians are right - that's ok too.  For I'd stack my life against a pious christian any day of the week.  My life speaks for itself.  And I've a few questions for the man in the sky anyway. I am good to go!

And if the atheists are right - I'm still good to go.  Cause I leave lots of good behind me.

It just doesn't matter.   If you put your head on your pillow at night knowing you did your best as much as possible - any afterlife or none atall is just fine any way you slice it!!! :-D
I am currently experiencing life at several WTFs per hour.