What does everyone think of sousveillance?

Started by zarus tathra, August 10, 2013, 04:59:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zarus tathra

Except with cameras, it'll be REALLY easy to prove that someone's stalking you, or to find out that someone's been stalking you. It'll also be really hard to get away with mugging somebody.

Then again, I'm of the view that crime generally isn't a big enough problem to motivate things like universal surveillance. But certainly we do need surveillance of government officials.
?"Belief is always most desired, most pressingly needed, when there is a lack of will." -Friedrich Nietzsche

Ideals are imperfect. Morals are self-serving.

Plu

QuoteExcept with cameras, it'll be REALLY easy to prove that someone's stalking you, or to find out that someone's been stalking you.

How? Do you want to place a camera on everyone looking through another camera? You can follow people around through the camera system and know exactly where they go, what they do, who they talk to, everything, all from the privacy of your own home. And then you can go and bother them at your own leisure.

QuoteIt'll also be really hard to get away with mugging somebody.

Why? You can use the camera system to figure out every possible angle where you can't be seen on them. All you need is a good mugging spot and a nearby camera to spot victims coming into view of the blind spot.

zarus tathra

People are seriously more afraid of this than a 1984 scenario?`
?"Belief is always most desired, most pressingly needed, when there is a lack of will." -Friedrich Nietzsche

Colanth

Quote from: "Plu"
QuoteIt'll also be really hard to get away with mugging somebody.

Why? You can use the camera system to figure out every possible angle where you can't be seen on them. All you need is a good mugging spot and a nearby camera to spot victims coming into view of the blind spot.
And eventually the only proof accepted in court will be video of the crime (since it's such a "good" system), and the one-eyed man (the mugger who figures out the blind spots) will be king in the land of the blind.
Afflicting the comfortable for 70 years.
Science builds skyscrapers, faith flies planes into them.

SilentFutility

Quote from: "zarus tathra"Then again, I'm of the view that crime generally isn't a big enough problem to motivate things like universal surveillance.
The UK government clearly does not share this opinion.
The level of video surveillance in urban areas there is quite staggering.

LikelyToBreak

zarus tathra wrote:
QuotePeople are seriously more afraid of this than a 1984 scenario?`
I am afraid of just the government have the surveillance capability.  Here in town about a month or so ago, a man was beaten to death by some police.  The police went to a house where they noticed they were being videotaped and demanded the video as evidence.  Not wanting to be beat to death as well, the people gave over the tapes.  The people complained about it, which is how it got into the news, but to the best of my knowledge, the last thing done was to bury the man.  Which is exactly what will happen every time if the government is the only legal entity allowed to videotape in public.  Which is pretty much a 1984 scenario.  

Which is why we should push for legal clarification of allowing the citizen to videotape the agents of the state.  It is my understanding, that videotaping police in New York City marks you as a terrorist, and you can be treated accordingly.  Unless you have special permission (License) from the city to videotape.  Which is bullshit and unconstitutional.  But, in our current police state, completely understandable.  Remember! War is Peace.  Peace is War.

The Skeletal Atheist

It kind of already exist, if you know where to look. There are thousands of unsecure webcams, including serveillance cams, around the world. A simple Google search with the right terms can lead you to them.

A nice list of terms to use:
http://watchthiscam.com/blog/2011/08/19 ... -find-the/

Stuff I found:
A Hanger
Some kind of building, you can control the camera on this one.
Some university's computer lab

Found those three in a matter of minutes by searching  inurl:"view/index.shtml" on Google.

Anyone can look at these cameras, anyone.

I'm wary of mass surveillance, but I've realized that with technology it's not going away any time soon. As long it's around I don't want the government having a monopoly on surveillance, so I guess in a way I agree with sousveillance.

Edit: Some more!
The trees are the only thing protecting you at this pool
A store
Looks like someone's backyard or something
Some people need to be beaten with a smart stick.

Kein Mehrheit Fur Die Mitleid!

Kein Mitlied F�r Die Mehrheit!

zarus tathra

Man the video is choppy as hell. We really need to light up all that dark fiber, stat.