Neil deGrasse Tyson is a Devout Christian

Started by SGOS, March 11, 2024, 07:05:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

Now that I have your undivided attention, this was information I got off the internet, and I suspect the person in another forum where I read it, must have "learned" it on the internet. The exact statement in the post said:

QuoteI also want to point out it's well-known that the very famous astrophysicist, researcher and author, Neil deGrasse Tyson, is a devout Christian whose faith does not conflict with his science, and vice-versa.
This was a forum for seniors, which I joined, but stopped posting there months ago for reasons you can probably guess, but I still lurk on occasion. It's just a general forum, and hardly the most intelligent source of information and reason out there. But oddly, the guy who posted that is one of the more thoughtful posters in the forum, who I actually respect. I was taken aback.

That post was followed by 20 or so posts, none of which even thought to question it, accept for one posted video without any related comment attached, of Tyson being interviewed by a Christian, where he unequivocally states he does not believe in gods.

Unbeliever

Well, I'm always in need of a good laugh, so thanks! 🤣
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Dark Lightning

I've seen the man speak about his non-belief. This is just another sack of turds (lies) left flaming on the internet's porch. We are moving further along into the post-truth future.

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Unbeliever

Alternative facts seem to be very popular these days... 🤔
God Not Found

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Unbeliever on March 11, 2024, 09:20:58 PMAlternative facts seem to be very popular these days... 🤔
What happened to old fashioned "lies"?
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Unbeliever

Well, we're dealing these days with the GOP/Russia propaganda machine, so "lies" aren't admitted to any more.
God Not Found

Mr.Obvious

I know ndt ain´t a christian.

But I do remember some clips in which he ´declines´ what he sees as atheism, because he deems it too arrogant and confrontational, or something or another.
It did reminder me that even smart people can misunderstand stuff and say stupid shit.

Love ndt  don´t get me wrong, butit is never good to see an authority-figure giving credence to the idea that atheism is anything more than the lack of a belief in Gods.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

ferdmonger

I believe it was on the series "Cosmos" where he had a take-down of Bruno and exposed the nasty side of Christians in charge. Yeah, let's burn the dude alive because he BLASPHEMED against our religion, and because we can.  Doesn't exactly promote Christianity.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on March 12, 2024, 07:14:56 AMI know ndt ain´t a christian.

But I do remember some clips in which he ´declines´ what he sees as atheism, because he deems it too arrogant and confrontational, or something or another.
It did reminder me that even smart people can misunderstand stuff and say stupid shit.

Love ndt  don´t get me wrong, butit is never good to see an authority-figure giving credence to the idea that atheism is anything more than the lack of a belief in Gods.

NDT has/had a public job in NYT IIRC. So he can't take too vociferous of a position and not get fired. That's politics.
PZ Myers

SGOS

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on March 12, 2024, 07:14:56 AMI know ndt ain´t a christian.

He did that in the video I spoke of too, and I expected more of him. Years ago, Bill Maher took the same position on his talk show for a year or two, but eventually came to terms with his own atheism. I suspect he had enough atheists write in and correct him on the issue. I suppose some atheists react negatively to the word "atheist," and consider agnosticism to be less offensive.

ferdmonger

Neil is on Colbert now.  Good stuff.