News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

10 reasons to not be a pagan

Started by WitchSabrina, August 10, 2013, 06:46:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WitchSabrina

Quote from: "AllPurposeAtheist"I saw no mention of Tooth Fairianism so I'm rather disappointed. Since I became a faithful follower of her dental deity I've gotten a promise from the VA to pull my bad teeth and replace them with false teeth and my understanding is the Tooth Fairy is OK with false teeth. My old teeth will be used to make fossils out of to fool Christians into believing that maybe evolution is real.. Pretty slick, eh?

You'd need to let the powers that be in paganism that they've failed to include "ToothFairyism".  Cause I have no power to see that it's included.  K?  LOL   :rollin:
I am currently experiencing life at several WTFs per hour.

Colanth

Quote from: "jansnyder"Paganism is something that atheists do, who are sick of Christianity and perversely need to believe in a fantasy of their own personal power, rather than the power of the divine or the loss of power they experienced in Christianity. They allow themselves to believe in magic intentionally.
Paganism isn't belief in magic, it's theism, but of religions not in the mainstream.  The Romans considered Christians to be Pagans, since they didn't believe in the mainstream (Roman) gods.
Afflicting the comfortable for 70 years.
Science builds skyscrapers, faith flies planes into them.

Solitary

Quote from: "jansnyder"Paganism is something that atheists do, who are sick of Christianity and perversely need to believe in a fantasy of their own personal power, rather than the power of the divine or the loss of power they experienced in Christianity. They allow themselves to believe in magic intentionally.

This can be a first step toward the realisation that atheists need civil rights and not magic.

#-o  I'm warning you not to piss off the witch!  [-X Unless you want this to happen to you.  :-$  Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: "WitchSabrina"
Quote from: "AllPurposeAtheist"I saw no mention of Tooth Fairianism so I'm rather disappointed. Since I became a faithful follower of her dental deity I've gotten a promise from the VA to pull my bad teeth and replace them with false teeth and my understanding is the Tooth Fairy is OK with false teeth. My old teeth will be used to make fossils out of to fool Christians into believing that maybe evolution is real.. Pretty slick, eh?

You'd need to let the powers that be in paganism that they've failed to include "ToothFairyism".  Cause I have no power to see that it's included.  K?  LOL   :rollin:
As Miss Fairy's sole representing entity on earth I grant you permission to pass along these sacred words.
5¢ please. :)
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Solitary

A penny for your thoughts AllPurposeAtheist?  :wink:  :popcorn:  Got to go make supper and have a glass of wine. I'd have some pot too, but my lungs don't like it.  :evil:  Solitary

thomask

Quote from: "Mister Agenda"I suppose the practice can be psychologically powerful...it could psych you up, give you a more confident attitude, that sort of thing; so it could be argued that it may have some positive effect in helping you achieve some goal or another. Or, any perceived benefits could be confirmation bias. Someone should do a study on that.

Some people listen to this to get psyched up..

//http://youtu.be/EctftWOwHao

_Xenu_

Quote from: "Broede"I greatly contest #5.  While there are a lot of bisexual Pagans
I knew one fairly well, but she didn't describe herself as bi. Something more like, pan-sexual.
Click this link once a day to feed shelter animals. Its free.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/ars/home

missingnocchi

QuoteIf you want to have kinky sex, go have it.

Easier said than done. Unless there is something to that "wiccans are promiscuous" thing after all...
What's a "Leppo?"

ApostateLois

QuoteI want to conjure up spirits! They're cool

I heard they are stuck-up bitches.

QuoteDoes hocus pocus really work? 8-[ Solitary

I love that movie!

[youtube:2xhza7x3]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E816_PNfIVg[/youtube:2xhza7x3]
"Now we see through a glass dumbly." ~Crow, MST3K #903, "Puma Man"

Solitary

Ten reasons to be a Pagan:

Quote10 reasons to why I'm Pagan

1) Writing
The Pagans invented letters, writing, literature, fiction, fact books, even ink and printing press.

2) Surgery
Saves lives, and have been saving and improving lives since Pagans invented it a couple of thousand years ago. Pagans also invented the rest of medicine, or most of it. Thank a Pagan every time you go and see a doctor or take medicine.

3) Astronomy
and navigation, sailing, ship building, aviation, space travels, moon walk... all thanks to Pagans.

4) Democracy
The Greek had it, the Vikings had it... also freedom of religion, freedom of speech and practically all civil and human rights.

5) Tolerance
Multiculturalism, diversity, tolerance, openmindedness, curiosity, will and ability to learn... the Romans especially were amazing with their ability to adapt and adopt... Really, if you go to meet other cultures with the idea of that they are stupid, primitive and lesser wilds, you won't learn anything from them.

6) Drums
Frankly, Pagans "invented" all music, but drums are my favorite.

7) Visual art
Cave paintings might not be advanced, but they do engage you, even today... And the Greek sculptures... or Scythian sculptures. Or Indian sculptures, or Chinese or... well... most Pagan sculptures are amazing.

I fully appreciate the beauty of nature, but mankind has beautified the world.

8) Pantheon
or Newgrange, the seven wonders of antique world, Great Wall of China; or a lot of other Pagan buildings. Frankly, we have to thank Pagans for the fact that we have houses to begin with.

9) Animal husbandry
Thank Pagans when you pet your cat or dog.

10) Zero
and the principles of mathematics. But zero is... divinely beautiful in its perfection.

Also, Pagans invented the wheel, cooking, metallurgy and all the other crafts, agriculture, irrigation, laws and hundreds of other things. Heron inventor would be a reason in himself.
Also, mead. Claude Lévi-Strauss thought the invention of mead as a marker of the passage "from nature to culture".

Solitary

Smartmarzipan

I can think of two good reasons not to be a witch....

Sorry, I've been watching a lot of Supernatural lately....
Legi, Intellexi, Condemnavi.

"Religion is the human response to being alive and having to die." ~Anon

Inter arma enim silent leges

Johan

Quote from: "missingnocchi"
QuoteIf you want to have kinky sex, go have it.

Easier said than done. Unless there is something to that "wiccans are promiscuous" thing after all...
I won't speak for all wiccans but the only wiccans I know are in committed relationship with each other so the promiscuous label doesn't really apply to them. However I will also speak for several of our mutual friends who aren't really practicing wiccan but have attended several wiccan events with this couple. And if their experiences at these events are any indication, then there is definitely something to the 'wiccans are promiscuous' rumor.

Unfortunately, from what I understand there is also something to the '3 out of 5 in the wiccan community have herpes' rumor so I was never tempted to find out first hand just how promiscuous they were. Its also the reason I never tried to hook up with any of the skydive chicks that hung around the dropzone when I was working as a jump pilot.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

Tabula Rasa

Great list -- I've been exploring paganism off and on for some time now. I like the scenery and the garb, but I'm neutral about the beliefs.

OtterPop

I was born and raised pagan, eclectic to say the least. (Much less traumatic than what many here experienced, so I count that as lucky).  Like so many others who spend half their lives shaking off ingrained childhood habits, I often find myself thinking, "Dammit, blowing out candles is FINE! Stop smothering them from superstition," or, "No fucking spirits are closer to me just because it's nearly Samhain" and other benign, but hard to kick habits. I'm more than halfway through an astrophysics program, have been an atheist since I was at least 13, and I still kind of think I could fairly call myself a Kitchen Witch. :D

Hydra009

Quote from: "Solitary"Ten reasons to be a Pagan:

Quote10 reasons to why I'm Pagan

1) Writing
The Pagans invented letters, writing, literature, fiction, fact books, even ink and printing press.

2) Surgery
Saves lives, and have been saving and improving lives since Pagans invented it a couple of thousand years ago. Pagans also invented the rest of medicine, or most of it. Thank a Pagan every time you go and see a doctor or take medicine.

3) Astronomy
and navigation, sailing, ship building, aviation, space travels, moon walk... all thanks to Pagans.

4) Democracy
The Greek had it, the Vikings had it... also freedom of religion, freedom of speech and practically all civil and human rights.

5) Tolerance
Multiculturalism, diversity, tolerance, openmindedness, curiosity, will and ability to learn... the Romans especially were amazing with their ability to adapt and adopt... Really, if you go to meet other cultures with the idea of that they are stupid, primitive and lesser wilds, you won't learn anything from them.

6) Drums
Frankly, Pagans "invented" all music, but drums are my favorite.

7) Visual art
Cave paintings might not be advanced, but they do engage you, even today... And the Greek sculptures... or Scythian sculptures. Or Indian sculptures, or Chinese or... well... most Pagan sculptures are amazing.

I fully appreciate the beauty of nature, but mankind has beautified the world.

8) Pantheon
or Newgrange, the seven wonders of antique world, Great Wall of China; or a lot of other Pagan buildings. Frankly, we have to thank Pagans for the fact that we have houses to begin with.

9) Animal husbandry
Thank Pagans when you pet your cat or dog.

10) Zero
and the principles of mathematics. But zero is... divinely beautiful in its perfection.

Also, Pagans invented the wheel, cooking, metallurgy and all the other crafts, agriculture, irrigation, laws and hundreds of other things. Heron inventor would be a reason in himself.
Also, mead. Claude Lévi-Strauss thought the invention of mead as a marker of the passage "from nature to culture".

Solitary
Not to rain on the parade, but "pagan" covers a pretty broad class of people (essentially everyone who didn't adhere to an Abrahamic religion).  So yeah, one would expect a lot of inventions/innovations there.

And also, does the printing press inventor refer Bi Sheng or Gutenberg?  Because I'm fairly certain Gutenberg was a Catholic.  And he's the one credited with large-scale printing.