68-million-year-old fossil- Impressive

Started by WitchSabrina, August 10, 2013, 06:22:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WitchSabrina

http://www.pawnation.com/2013/08/09/fos ... =webmail14

QuoteA 68-million-year-old fossil of a Tyrannosaurus engaged in combat with a Triceratops is expected to sell for a record-breaking $10 million at auction, according to the Daily Mail U.K. The remains of both creatures are said to be among the most complete and best-preserved ever found, and one of the most important dinosaur discoveries of all time.

I am currently experiencing life at several WTFs per hour.

Solitary

:-k  The picture is neither a Tyrannosaurus nor a Triceratops fossil.   [-X  Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

SGOS

Quote from: "Solitary":-k  The picture is neither a Tyrannosaurus nor a Triceratops fossil.   [-X  Solitary
I couldn't speak to that, but for this thing to be real, it would be too big for my living room, anyway.

the_antithesis

It's also kind of unlikely they were engaged in combat. Fossilization doesn't really work like that.

Plu

They probably didn't die from being engaged in combat, but it could be they were fighting and then suddenly surprised by a landslide or such.

PopeyesPappy

Quote from: "Solitary":-k  The picture is neither a Tyrannosaurus nor a Triceratops fossil.   [-X  Solitary
QuoteThe dinosaurs in question are specifically Nanotyrannus lancensis, a close, smaller relative of Tyrannosaurus rex, and Chasmosaurine ceratopsian from the Triceratops family.

Tyrannosaurus. Just not tyrannosaurus rex.
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

Solitary

Quote from: "PopeyesPappy"
QuoteThe dinosaurs in question are specifically Nanotyrannus lancensis, a close, smaller relative of Tyrannosaurus rex, and Chasmosaurine ceratopsian from the Triceratops family.

Tyrannosaurus. Just not tyrannosaurus rex.

Thank you for clarifying that! Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

PopeyesPappy

Quote from: "the_antithesis"It's also kind of unlikely they were engaged in combat. Fossilization doesn't really work like that.
The forensic evidence suggests they killed each other.

QuoteThe remains show the dinosaurs in combat, each having died from the injuries inflicted by its opponent. The Tyrannosaurus' teeth were lodged in the Triceratops' skull. The Triceratop' had crushed the Tyrannosaurus' skull and chest.

PopeyesPappy

Quote from: "Solitary"Thank you for clarifying that! Solitary

You're welcome. I had the same "That's not a tyrannosaurus." thought when I saw the picture, and had to scroll through the picture captions to figure out what they were talking about.

Colanth

QuoteLindgren wants a museum to buy the fossils and put them on public display.
It's only the casts that are put on display, not the actual fossils.  They're available only to experts to study.
Afflicting the comfortable for 70 years.
Science builds skyscrapers, faith flies planes into them.

Jason78

Quote from: "the_antithesis"It's also kind of unlikely they were engaged in combat. Fossilization doesn't really work like that.

I still think that the Tyrannosaurus shot first.
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

Minimalist

...and the triceratops stood his ground?
The Christian church, in its attitude toward science, shows the mind of a more or less enlightened man of the Thirteenth Century. It no longer believes that the earth is flat, but it is still convinced that prayer can cure after medicine fails.

-- H. L. Mencken

Thumpalumpacus

QuoteThe remains show the dinosaurs in combat, each having died from the injuries inflicted by its opponent. The Tyrannosaurus' teeth were lodged in the Triceratops' skull. The Triceratop' had crushed the Tyrannosaurus' skull and chest.

That's just badass, stomping the life out of a tyrannosaur.
<insert witty aphorism here>

SGOS

Quote from: "Thumpalumpacus"

That's just badass, stomping the life out of a tyrannosaur.
I root for the triceratops just on general principle.  :-D

Brian37

Wow that looks like the Republican party platform.
"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers." Obama
Poetry By Brian37 Like my poetry on Facebook Under BrianJames Rational Poet and also at twitter under Brianrrs37