News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Meeting extraterrestrials

Started by GSOgymrat, August 09, 2013, 07:02:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

Meeting intelligent life, even if looking at it caused our stomachs to turn, first requires that it be there, but that's not where it ends.  The timing also has to be right.  It has to be there while we are here.  It took a billion years for life to start on earth and then another 4.5 billion or so to get where it is today.  I'm not sure about those timelines, but it's something close to that.

Neither man or the Earth is going to be here forever.  It's possible that somewhere else in the universe, intelligent life has come and gone, before the Earth even formed, and it's possible, actually likely I think, that after the Earth and any intelligent life is long gone, other planets will be just forming, and a few will eventually have intelligent life for a brief time in eternity.

I can't help but think that before the end of the universe, intelligent life will have kept popping up and disappearing rather continuously in different locations at different times.  I'll also guess that at some time or another two forms of life will probably meet each other, and most likely both forms will reside in the same planetary system.

But who really can ever know?  Mostly, it's just fun to think about.

GSOgymrat

Quote from: "SGOS"Meeting intelligent life, even if looking at it caused our stomachs to turn, first requires that it be there, but that's not where it ends.  The timing also has to be right.  It has to be there while we are here.  It took a billion years for life to start on earth and then another 4.5 billion or so to get where it is today.  I'm not sure about those timelines, but it's something close to that.

Neither man or the Earth is going to be here forever.  It's possible that somewhere else in the universe, intelligent life has come and gone, before the Earth even formed, and it's possible, actually likely I think, that after the Earth and any intelligent life is long gone, other planets will be just forming, and a few will eventually have intelligent life for a brief time in eternity.

I can't help but think that before the end of the universe, intelligent life will have kept popping up and disappearing rather continuously in different locations at different times.  I'll also guess that at some time or another two forms of life will probably meet each other, and most likely both forms will reside in the same planetary system.

Yes, I envision life blinking in an out of existence across the universe on a scale of billions of years.

Back when I was a kid my father explained why the chances of us communicating with extraterrestrials bordered on impossible and the chances of humans traveling to another solar system was almost as unlikely. It was like being told there was no Santa Claus for a kid back in the 70s who was into UFOs, Space 1999, Star Wars and In Search of... .

NeoLogic26

Quote from: "mykcob4"I don't know why people even bother with the alien delussion. Logistically it makes no sense. If anyone could actually get here, they wouldn't be secretive about it. They would come like Columbus and plant their version of a flag.
I would imagine we would be like natives watching in wonder...."oh firestick....bad"!
People are flatout stupid to think aliens have come and just sit back and watch. What would be the point? And please Trekkies don't quote me the Prime Directive!
You don't think aliens would have the equivalent of anthropologists who would probably wish to observe without contaminating the culture they were studying? I think attempting to anticipate the motives of aliens whose existence is dubious at best is a little premature. So saying that they haven't been visiting because X reason completely ignores Y and Z.
"For me, I am driven by two main philosophies: know more today about the world than I knew yesterday and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you." - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Colanth

Quote from: "NeoLogic26"You don't think aliens would have the equivalent of anthropologists who would probably wish to observe without contaminating the culture they were studying?
We do.  Did that stop the exploiters?

Winners in the evolutionary race are likely to be the same all over.
Afflicting the comfortable for 70 years.
Science builds skyscrapers, faith flies planes into them.

Plu

QuoteWinners in the evolutionary race are likely to be the same all over.

Actually winners in the evolutionary race don't generally build civilizations, let alone ones that span across the stars. We have no idea what it'd take for a species to be able to build and maintain a galactic empire. There's no reason to believe they're just like us. Maybe they started that way, but I don't see human beings as they are right now running a galactic empire. We can't even live together on a single planet without constantly murdering each other.

SilentFutility

Quote from: "the_antithesis"Our first contact with extra-terrestrial life will be in the form of a great plague.
This is actually a fairly likely scenario.

Hundreds of years ago settlers in new lands brought new bacteria with them that completely decimated local populations, due to them having no antibodies to protect themselves against disease that their ancestors had never been exposed to. If this is the case for bacteria we've never been exposed to from other parts of the world, it is a very realistic possibility for bacteria from other parts of the universe.

Plu

Assuming they are equal enough to our biology that they can actually affect us. The settlers that moved to the new lands came from the same strands of life as the native life there, we can't be sure that any life from across the galaxy we encounter can even survive in our bodies.

SilentFutility

Quote from: "Plu"Assuming they are equal enough to our biology that they can actually affect us. The settlers that moved to the new lands came from the same strands of life as the native life there, we can't be sure that any life from across the galaxy we encounter can even survive in our bodies.
I'm not saying that we can be sure it will, I'm saying it is a realistic risk.
There is also the risk of extreme allergic reactions to things which may not be able to biologically harm us as a disease but may be so alien as to prompt our bodies to reject them.

Biological contamination from new life, and contamination of new life by ourselves and anything we may bring with us is a huge risk.

_Xenu_

Quote from: "GSOgymrat"Given the vast distances between solar systems, the limitations of the speed of light, time dilation, the amount of energy it takes to move mass, etc. it seems to me the likelihood of ever communicating with extraterrestrials, assuming they exist, is extremely remote. Thoughts?
Space is too vast and relativity is too restraining. If other civilizations are out there, which I do suspect, we're never going to meet them unless someone invents a warp drive. And maybe not even then.
Click this link once a day to feed shelter animals. Its free.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/ars/home

Plu

QuoteI'm not saying that we can be sure it will, I'm saying it is a realistic risk.

That, it certainly is. It'll definately be something we'll need to look out for if we contact other species, and I'm hoping other species contacting us are careful in that regard as well, if there ever are any.

Colanth

Quote from: "Plu"
QuoteWinners in the evolutionary race are likely to be the same all over.

Actually winners in the evolutionary race don't generally build civilizations, let alone ones that span across the stars. We have no idea what it'd take for a species to be able to build and maintain a galactic empire. There's no reason to believe they're just like us. Maybe they started that way, but I don't see human beings as they are right now running a galactic empire. We can't even live together on a single planet without constantly murdering each other.
What I meant by "same" is that they're all likely to be the ones to take advantage of everything they can.  That's how they get to be the winners.
Afflicting the comfortable for 70 years.
Science builds skyscrapers, faith flies planes into them.

SilentFutility

Quote from: "SGOS"Meeting intelligent life, even if looking at it caused our stomachs to turn, first requires that it be there, but that's not where it ends.  The timing also has to be right.  It has to be there while we are here.  It took a billion years for life to start on earth and then another 4.5 billion or so to get where it is today.  I'm not sure about those timelines, but it's something close to that.

I quite liked that post, it was thought-provoking. I had considered the time aspect in terms of other species being at different stages of development, possibly even totally undeveloped single-cell organisms, and of course the common sci-fi, super advanced aliens, but I hadn't considered that it is entirely possible, almost probable that if other life does occur, that it might be at a time completely separate from ours.

SGOS

Quote from: "SilentFutility"

I quite liked that post, it was thought-provoking. I had considered the time aspect in terms of other species being at different stages of development, possibly even totally undeveloped single-cell organisms, and of course the common sci-fi, super advanced aliens, but I hadn't considered that it is entirely possible, almost probable that if other life does occur, that it might be at a time completely separate from ours.
Hey, thanks!   :-D