News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Meeting extraterrestrials

Started by GSOgymrat, August 09, 2013, 07:02:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GSOgymrat

Given the vast distances between solar systems, the limitations of the speed of light, time dilation, the amount of energy it takes to move mass, etc. it seems to me the likelihood of ever communicating with extraterrestrials, assuming they exist, is extremely remote. Thoughts?

Plu

Sounds about right, especially in our own lifetimes.

WitchSabrina

Quote from: "Plu"Sounds about right, especially in our own lifetimes.

Agree.  Not in my lifetime anywho.
 :wink:
I am currently experiencing life at several WTFs per hour.

the_antithesis

Our first contact with extra-terrestrial life will be in the form of a great plague.

Solitary

If there are aliens from another world why haven't they contacted us yet? Or maybe they have, this would explain a lot about the mess we're in now.  :shock:

:-$  8-[   :rollin:  :rollin:  :rollin:  Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

mykcob4

I don't know why people even bother with the alien delussion. Logistically it makes no sense. If anyone could actually get here, they wouldn't be secretive about it. They would come like Columbus and plant their version of a flag.
I would imagine we would be like natives watching in wonder...."oh firestick....bad"!
People are flatout stupid to think aliens have come and just sit back and watch. What would be the point? And please Trekkies don't quote me the Prime Directive!

Plu

Well, for one, what would they want that we have that they can't get from any of the millions of planets they no doubt passed in their journey here? To come here, specifically, means they're coming for something that cannot be found anywhere else.
So the idea of conquering the place seems kinda pointless. What's the point? I would imagine that if aliens were to come, they would be silent, and they'd be here for research of some sort.

LikelyToBreak

I always imagined ET's might be like zoo keepers.  Watching the clever little ants running around thinking they are important to the universe.   :-k

Solitary

Quote from: "mykcob4"I don't know why people even bother with the alien delussion. Logistically it makes no sense. If anyone could actually get here, they wouldn't be secretive about it. They would come like Columbus and plant their version of a flag.
I would imagine we would be like natives watching in wonder...."oh firestick....bad"!
People are flatout stupid to think aliens have come and just sit back and watch. What would be the point? And please Trekkies don't quote me the Prime Directive!

It's actually The Cosmic Imperative.  =P~   :lol:  Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

aitm

They are looking for dental floss to clean their sharp pointy razor canine like vamp teeth....a whole race of vampires from er.......klechor   yep klechor...
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Colanth

In 1500 it would have been considered impossible that we'd ever be able to communicate with the people on "the other side of the world" in real time.  The known natural laws prohibited the possibility.

Just saying.
Afflicting the comfortable for 70 years.
Science builds skyscrapers, faith flies planes into them.

the_antithesis

Quote from: "LikelyToBreak"I always imagined ET's might be like zoo keepers.  Watching the clever little ants running around thinking they are important to the universe.   :-k

I prefer to think of them as triple-breasted cat girls.

But, hey. If that's what turns you on.

SGOS

Life on other planets, maybe.  But as far as meeting an extraterrestrial that we might want to buddy around and drink beer with, or invite over for dinner?  Don't think that's ever going to happen.

The Skeletal Atheist

I support the idea that it's likely that there's life elsewhere in the universe. That being said, I would suspect that the VAST majority of all life in the universe is exceedingly simplistic unicellular life (if it even has "cells" at all"). After that the majority of multicellular life forms would be very simplistic "plants" and "animals", to the point that an insect would be multitudes more complicated. I'd imagine that "intelligent" life would be exceedingly rare, and that intelligent life with the physical capability to even manufacture tools would be even rarer.

Basically I imagine it being something like this:

Non-life >>>>>>>>>> Simplistic unicellular life >>>>>>>>>>simplistic multicellular life >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> complicated multicellular life >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> intelligent life >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> intelligent life with a physical capability to manufacture tools >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> intelligent life that has the technology for space travel.

Given that and the incredible vastness of the universe I would think the chances that we have ever come into contact with extraterrestrial beings to be extremely low. Like, less than a percentage of a percentage of a percentage of a percentage.
Some people need to be beaten with a smart stick.

Kein Mehrheit Fur Die Mitleid!

Kein Mitlied F�r Die Mehrheit!

baddogma

Given the history of this planet and how we were shaped, the possibility that they got here and remotely look like us is absurd.
"The only way you can be certain that there are good people in the world is to BE one".
-My mother

Morality is doing what is right, no matter what you are told.
Religion is doing what you are told, no matter what is right.