Michael Shermer accused of raping woman at conference

Started by Valigarmander, August 09, 2013, 02:04:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PopeyesPappy

Depends on where you are.  A male can't be raped in Alabama. State law defines the term as an action taken against a female.
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

hillbillyatheist

I'm speaking based on my personal view not necessarily what the laws say.  

the laws are often just fucking stupid. LOL
like my posts and thoughts? then check out my new blog. you can subscribe via email too, so that when its updated, you\'ll get an email, letting you know.

just click here

Nonsensei

Quote from: "PopeyesPappy"Depends on where you are.  A male can't be raped in Alabama. State law defines the term as an action taken against a female.

But this is a case of statutory rape, in which males can be victims.
And on the wings of a dream so far beyond reality
All alone in desperation now the time has come
Lost inside you'll never find, lost within my own mind
Day after day this misery must go on

PopeyesPappy

Quote from: "Nonsensei"
Quote from: "PopeyesPappy"Depends on where you are.  A male can't be raped in Alabama. State law defines the term as an action taken against a female.

But this is a case of statutory rape, in which males can be victims.
I guess they have revised the law at some point in the last decade or so. It used to say rape was exclusively an act performed by a male against a female. Now it reads a person. In any case there is more to it than just being a minor.

QuoteA.            Statutory Rape—Criminal Offenses

Children under 16 years of age are unable to consent to sexual activity,[54] with the following exceptions:

If the defendant and victim are married to one another[55]
If the victim is at least 13 years of age and the defendant is less than 3 years older than the victim[56]
If the victim is less than 13 years of age and the defendant is less than 16 years of age and less than 3 years older than the victim[57]
Definition of Offenses
Offense   Definition
4th degree sexual abuse of a minor[58]   Sexual penetration or sexual contact with a person under 13 years of age where the defendant is under 16 years of age and at least 3 years older than the victim.
3rd degree sexual abuse of a minor[59]   Sexual contact with someone 13, 14, or 15 years of age where the defendant is at least 16 years of age and at least 3 years older than the victim.
2nd degree sexual abuse of a minor[60]   Sexual penetration (or aiding, inducing, causing, or encouraging sexual penetration) of someone 13, 14, or 15 years of age where the defendant is at least 16 years of age and at least 3 years older than the victim.
Sexual contact (or aiding, inducing, causing, or encouraging sexual contact) with someone under 13 years of age where the defendant is at least 16 years of age.

1st degree sexual abuse of a minor[61]   Sexual penetration (or aiding, inducing, causing, or encouraging sexual penetration) of someone under 13 years of age where the defendant is at least 16 years of age.
Note: These crimes are only applicable in cases where the defendant and victim were not married to one another at the time of the offense.[62]
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

Thumpalumpacus

Quote from: "drunkenshoe"Automatically taking side with the alleged perpetrator, just because generally males are looked upon as an 'active, violent agent against a passive weak one' and that this can result in ruining their lives, doesn't make you skeptic. It makes you acting biased to compensate another bias. You cannot go anywhere with this.

Except, I haven't taken a side.

I've asked for evidence, as any rational person would do.

Quote from: "drunkenshoe"-Secondly, you didn't get into any conversation with me about my opinion. You are also not some special character who would first come to my mind in such a thread to make me think "Hmm I should ask this to Thumps." In this 15 pages of thread, there are only two posts you wrote before your "Think more, post less" bullshit and they are about Shermer, court and what came out PZ's mouth, while I put energy and time and source to tell my opinion WHICH you or anyone else who is trying to beat me down obviously didn't even read. This can be observed with several posts STILL keeps running with the banner of "Innocent until proven guilty! No convinced!" AS IF I EVER CLAIMED OTHERWISE or even implied something that amounts to it.

Actually, I've already quoted where you assume that the crime was committed.

As far as me being any sort of "special character", your opinion of me is none of my business.  Kindly keep matters that way.

Quote from: "drunkenshoe"-Ahh no thumps, if you post to any member some unpleasant remark you get the same reaction -also you would give the same reaction- and 'I'll post what I please' is not what's happening here.

I don't complain about different opinions.  I don't complain when you slag me. I don't care if you don't like me. You're some nobody I've encountered on the Internet with an opinion and the spare time to post it, just like me.  I'm sure we'll both live through the experience.

But I will do my best to turn an entertaining and obnoxious retort, if the mood strikes.
<insert witty aphorism here>

Nonsensei

Thump it was dead and you revived it.

You will never convince drunkenshoe she is wrong about anything, even about presumptions she makes about you. Just move on.
And on the wings of a dream so far beyond reality
All alone in desperation now the time has come
Lost inside you'll never find, lost within my own mind
Day after day this misery must go on

AtheistExile

email: mailto:AtheistExile@AtheistExile.com\">AtheistExile@AtheistExile.com
[hrline][/hrline]
Gods don\'t kill people.
People with gods kill people.

Thumpalumpacus

<insert witty aphorism here>