Turkey dismantling the 'Love Boat'

Started by AllPurposeAtheist, August 08, 2013, 11:51:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AllPurposeAtheist

Sorry Shoezie.. not to knock Turkey, but the ship, Pacific Princess was just to old and beat up to fix so after taking on water in Italy it was sold foe scrap and towed to Turkey to be cut up and made into little metal parts for??? Who knows?  Somewhere on dispatch.com.. I read it in Columbus's yellow jornalism rag..
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

WitchSabrina

For those who don't remember (or too young)
lol

[youtube:1cqntiwf]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_wFEB4Oxlo[/youtube:1cqntiwf]
I am currently experiencing life at several WTFs per hour.

stromboli

Ah, yes. Many fond memories of wanting to seriously bonk that perky little saucepot  Lauren Tewes.....

Atheon

dp
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

Atheon

Wow... I went on an Alaska cruise aboard that very same ship many years ago.

Sad to see her go.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

AllPurposeAtheist

I always found something else to entertain myself during 'The Love Boat' as a teenager which probably involved lotion, but my memory is kind of sketchy on that so I'm non-commital on that one.

stromboli

I was married during the last part of that period. Lauren got fat. Sad.

the_antithesis

The bones of kings have fertilized crops.

the_antithesis

Quote from: "WitchSabrina"Writer posted a YouTube video

OK, I had to look it up, but that guest list is filled with fashion designers. That must have been an epic episode if fashion designers were trying to act. Even if they were playing themselves. Playing yourself is incredibly difficult.

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: "stromboli"I was married during the last part of that period. Lauren got fat. Sad.
Then we KNOW you were in on the lotion thing being married.. :lol:

SGOS

I never got interested in that show for some reason, but it seems like for awhile there, every time I turned on the TV, I would hear the Love Boat theme song beating me over the head until the song wouldn't go away.  Thanks, now it's in my head again.

I suppose it's all the baby boomers who can't get that song out of their heads that account for the big boom in cruise ship vacations.  Everyone is doing it.  All my friends that said they would never do it are doing it.  My cousin bought stock in one of the cruise lines so he could get discounts and free upgrades.  He goes on a cruise 3, 4, or 5 times a year.

the_antithesis

Quote from: "SGOS"I suppose it's all the baby boomers who can't get that song out of their heads that account for the big boom in cruise ship vacations.  Everyone is doing it.  All my friends that said they would never do it are doing it.  My cousin bought stock in one of the cruise lines so he could get discounts and free upgrades.  He goes on a cruise 3, 4, or 5 times a year.

Wow. I think I'd rather kill myself.

stromboli

Right. If you need a working definition of the words insipid and smarmy, that would be "love boat theme."

SGOS

I wouldn't mind a cruise if I got to drive the boat and plot my own course, but I don't know about just sitting on the deck and going to dinner.  Most of the people I know who cruise, talk about the eating part.  I wintered one year in Hilo, Hawaii on my sailboat.  The cruise ships would dock nearby and a few people would take extra excursions, helicopter rides, and tours.  Most of the people that left the boat would take the free bus to Walmart and Hilo Hatties (a tourist place that sold Hawaiian shirts and souvenirs).

I was allowed to take the free bus to Walmart with the tourists so I could buy provisions, well, food as the land lubbers call it. It was something the marina management said I could do.  They would sing songs on the free bus, and the driver would point out points of interest on the 6 mile trip to Walmart.  It got to be pretty boring after the 10th time.  One day, as the driver was introducing himself with his usual commentary, he started by saying, "Hello everyone and welcome to Hilo.  My name is Hal, and I'll be your tour guide for today."  I'm sitting there laughing to myself, "Tour guide?  He's the bus driver and were going to the mall six miles from here."

The cruises seem to be planned around stops at tourist traps.  When I docked in Ketchikan, Alaska, the place where the big ships docked was a three block waterfront owned by the cruise ships.  There was a banner on the dock that read, "Welcome to Ketchikan; Alaska's Wilderness Shopping Experience."  Sheesh!  The boat would spend most of the day there so people could shop for trinkets.  Then they were off to sail for the night through the wondrous Alaskan beauty, where you really couldn't see much in the dark, and they would stop the next day in Juneau so people could buy more stuff.  Fortunately, they did spend a day in Glacier Bay and people could see some good stuff.  Unfortunately, no one gets to experience nights at anchor in empty secluded harbors where the best parts of Alaska can be enjoyed.

Well, that's my opinion.  Not everyone is looking for the experiences that I enjoy.

WitchSabrina

Quote from: "SGOS"I never got interested in that show for some reason, but it seems like for awhile there, every time I turned on the TV, I would hear the Love Boat theme song beating me over the head until the song wouldn't go away.  Thanks, now it's in my head again.

I suppose it's all the baby boomers who can't get that song out of their heads that account for the big boom in cruise ship vacations.  Everyone is doing it.  All my friends that said they would never do it are doing it.  My cousin bought stock in one of the cruise lines so he could get discounts and free upgrades.  He goes on a cruise 3, 4, or 5 times a year.

:rollin:
classic
I am currently experiencing life at several WTFs per hour.