An Open Letter to the Olympic Committee

Started by SilentFutility, August 08, 2013, 10:18:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WitchSabrina

I am currently experiencing life at several WTFs per hour.

Shiranu

Quote from: "Youssuf Ramadan"http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-23639593

QuoteObama opposes Sochi Russian Winter Olympics boycott

10 August 2013 Last updated at 00:44 BST

US President Barack Obama has said he would not consider it "appropriate" to boycott Russia's Winter Olympics next year.
This comes despite calls by gay rights activists to shun the Sochi games because of a recently passed Russian law banning "homosexual propaganda".
Speaking at a White House news conference, Mr Obama said the absence of gay or lesbian athletes would probably weaken the Russian team.

Cameron has said much the same thing here.  The media are only telling a partial story of what is happening in Russia too.  What a surprise!  :roll:

I agree with Obama not supporting a gov't boycott because, unlike most other civilized countries, we make our Olympic athletes pay for all their training and facility. Obama has no right to say what they can or cant do.

Rawr rawr, America, America... except we refuse to support the athletes we put all our nationalism on...
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Colanth

US President Barack Obama has said he would not consider it "appropriate" to boycott Russia's Winter Olympics next year.
This comes despite calls by gay rights activists to shun the Sochi games because of a recently passed Russian law banning "homosexual propaganda".
Speaking at a White House news conference, Mr Obama said the absence of gay or lesbian athletes would probably weaken the Russian team.

Cameron has said much the same thing here.  The media are only telling a partial story of what is happening in Russia too.  What a surprise!  :roll:
Considering what both Russia and the USSR have done in the past, I doubt that they'd keep a winning athlete out of the Olympics merely because he or she was gay.  Since "gayness" can't be seen or tested for, they'd just ignore the problem.
Afflicting the comfortable for 70 years.
Science builds skyscrapers, faith flies planes into them.

The Skeletal Atheist

Quote from: "Shiranu"

I agree with Obama not supporting a gov't boycott because, unlike most other civilized countries, we make our Olympic athletes pay for all their training and facility. Obama has no right to say what they can or cant do.

Rawr rawr, America, America... except we refuse to support the athletes we put all our nationalism on...

I don't.

I mean, I feel sorry that the athletes had to spend their time and money for the sport, but I'm more concerned about what kind of message we send if we go there. "Hey guys, as long as it doesn't effect us we don't really care. Carry on with your barbaric laws!" as opposed to how much of an embarrassment it would be if every sane country just walked out of the mess. If the IOC continues to act like it's a non-issue and suggest that they're about "sports, not politics" then they can fuck off - that's the same kind of shit they pulled out of their ass at the Berlin 1936 Olympics.
Some people need to be beaten with a smart stick.

Kein Mehrheit Fur Die Mitleid!

Kein Mitlied F�r Die Mehrheit!

taikina

i have foreboding feeling that it's gonna go just dandy... then i get to read from a certain liberal paper about how gays were killed.

sigh, live next to these fuckers and my distant roots are russian. i'm glad my family had the sense to leave long ago :D

SilentFutility

Quote from: "The Skeletal Atheist"I mean, I feel sorry that the athletes had to spend their time and money for the sport, but I'm more concerned about what kind of message we send if we go there. "Hey guys, as long as it doesn't effect us we don't really care. Carry on with your barbaric laws!"
Sadly, for all their insistence that it isn't, this seems to be the general attitude of most political parties in the US and the UK.

The Skeletal Atheist

The IOC keeps denying it like it will go away, but Russia keeps saying that its anti-gay law WILL be enforced at the Olympics:
http://en.ria.ru/russia/20130812/182723 ... mpics.html
Some people need to be beaten with a smart stick.

Kein Mehrheit Fur Die Mitleid!

Kein Mitlied F�r Die Mehrheit!