News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Not a kid's toy for sure

Started by WitchSabrina, August 07, 2013, 07:44:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WitchSabrina

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/0 ... =webmail14

QuoteAlexander Kettler was playing in his grandmother's home in Diepholz, Germany, last week when he stumbled across something unusual: a sarcophagus.

Alongside dust-covered boxes and clutter, the 10-year-old found a mummy in his grandmother's attic, according to local reports. His family reportedly had never before come across the curious items.

"There was a huge sarcophagus and inside a mummy," Kettler's father Lutz Wolfgang told Spiegel Online. "Then we opened the other cases and found an earthenware Egyptian death mask and a Canopic Jar."

[ Image ]
mummy

The elder Kettler suspects the ancient artifacts may have belonged to his late father, who traveled through North Africa during the 1950s. As the BBC notes, Kettler believes the sarcophagus and artifacts are replicas, but he said he thinks the mummy may be the real deal.

Testing will be required to confirm if the wrapped figure within the sarcophagus is an actual mummy. Kettler told the Bild newspaper that he plans to transport the mummy to Berlin for examination.

If the mummy is proven to be an authentic Egyptian antiquity, authorities in Egypt will seek to bring the relic back to the country.

"Diplomacy is a successful way to resolve these sorts of issues, and it is not costly," Abdel Maqsoud, deputy director of the Antiquities Sector at Egypt's Ministry of Antiquities, told Egypt Independent. "We should first check if the piece left the country legally and find out if it is registered at any museum."
I am currently experiencing life at several WTFs per hour.

AllPurposeAtheist

I was hoping the kid was the grandson of the great Lost in Space episodes star, Billy Mummy. How disappointing.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Solitary

:-k  It looks too new to me to be a real mummy. I've seen a lot of mummies (no jokes please), but they have all looked ancient not new. Interesting though. Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

SGOS

Quote from: "Solitary":-k  It looks too new to me to be a real mummy. I've seen a lot of mummies (no jokes please), but they have all looked ancient not new. Interesting though. Solitary
The ones I've seen at Chicago's Field Museum, are a bit more tattered.  Mostly, the bandages are a lot darker and brownish and they look more fragile.  But whoever made this, did a pretty good job for an armature hoaxist.  It looks like someone spent some time making it.  Look how proportional and lifelike the shape of the body is.  Maybe someone put a real body in there.  Who knows?  It might be Jimmy Hoffa.

WitchSabrina

Quote from: "SGOS"
Quote from: "Solitary":-k  It looks too new to me to be a real mummy. I've seen a lot of mummies (no jokes please), but they have all looked ancient not new. Interesting though. Solitary
The ones I've seen at Chicago's Field Museum, are a bit more tattered.  Mostly, the bandages are a lot darker and brownish and they look more fragile.  But whoever made this, did a pretty good job for an armature hoaxist.  It looks like someone spent some time making it.  Look how proportional and lifelike the shape of the body is.  Maybe someone put a real body in there.  Who knows?  It might be Jimmy Hoffa.

Oooooo Booga booga - maybe it IS Jimmy Hoffa.   LOL

My guess?  A Egyptian Eclectic Wiccan who made their own mummy about 40 yrs ago.  (just guessing at some sort of off-center religious hoax)
I am currently experiencing life at several WTFs per hour.

AllPurposeAtheist

Booga booga? Man, that always scares the bejesus outta me, but interestingly enough not this time. :shock:
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Solitary

Head Lines: Jimmy HOFFA'S BODY FOUND, HE'S A MUMMY.  :rollin:  Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Hydra009

Quote from: "the article"Alexander Kettler was playing in his grandmother's home in Diepholz, Germany, last week when he stumbled across something unusual: a sarcophagus.

Alongside dust-covered boxes and clutter, the 10-year-old found a mummy in his grandmother's attic, according to local reports. His family reportedly had never before come across the curious items.

"There was a huge sarcophagus and inside a mummy," Kettler's father Lutz Wolfgang told Spiegel Online. "Then we opened the other cases and found an earthenware Egyptian death mask and a Canopic Jar."
Plot twist:  it's a goa'uld.

SGOS

Quote from: "Hydra009"
Plot twist:  it's a goa'uld.

[/quote]

Yeah, they frequently go dormant for awhile, but crop up now and then in unusual places.  Once they get out of the box, they create a shit storm of problems.

the_antithesis

The arms on that thing look like a sock monkey.

billhilly

How do you have a huge sarcophagus in your home for years and not know it?

missingnocchi

Quote from: "billhilly"How do you have a huge sarcophagus in your home for years and not know it?
The magic of Making Shit UpĀ®
What's a "Leppo?"