Transgender Woman, Gaye, Reportedly Murdered In Her Home

Started by drunkenshoe, August 07, 2013, 06:08:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drunkenshoe

Turkey Transgender Woman, Gaye, Reportedly Murdered In Her Home

QuoteFollowing suit of a disturbing trend of anti-trans violence in Turkey, authorities discovered a transgender woman dead in her Istanbul apartment Monday night.

The murder marks the fourth homicide of a trans individual in the past seven months in Turkey. The exact cause of death of the woman, who has only been identified as Gaye, is currently pending investigation.

"We have assigned a lawyer for this case and we will be on the pursuit," said Ebru K?ranc? of Istanbul LGBTT. "Police didn't make a statement on how the murder happened. When I went to her apartment last night, Gaye's neighbors said she might have been strangled."

Gaye worked as a flower seller in downtown Istanbul. She lived with her partner of 15 years.

Transphobia and trans violence are devastating cross-cultural issues, particularly affecting and targeting trans individuals of color. Last week, a vigil and speak out took place to honor and remember Diamond Williams, who was murdered in Philadelphia.

In Turkey, Kemal Ördek, a representative of the sexual health and human rights group K?rm?z? ?emsiye Association, stated that, "Four trans murders in seven months is a serious toll... Every summer, the toll is on the rise. These are only the cases we know of. We don't know what's happening in 81 provinces of Turkey. We only know of cases when they happen in big cities or where trans communities are active. Therefore, we can't tell an exact number."

Ördek noted that 11 other transgender individuals had been assaulted this year alone. In addition, KAOS GL, the main LGBT advocacy group in Turkey, reported that six transgender individuals had been murdered in 2012, as well as five gay people.

Fucking animals. And there are also a very powerful, rich, famous transgender people in this country with a 'proper ID'.

WitchSabrina

I am currently experiencing life at several WTFs per hour.

Solitary

I have found trans gendered people and gays to be very interesting people. I worked for a man in a graphic arts firm that was bisexual and went to a party at his house and it was like going to a museum and botanical garden. He also liked classical music which I prefer when I'm into music.
He had a huge swimming pool where it looked like Greek Gods walking around it. I had a hard (no puns!), time getting my wife to quit looking at them and his boyfriend, and she had to pull me away from his two girlfriends. There was a lesbian girl there that played a guitar and sang better folk music than anyone I have heard before or since. They all love beautiful things and are very creative. They don't go around destroying things like the macho jerks enjoy doing. Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.