Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Peeves

Started by Atheon, August 06, 2013, 09:18:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drunkenshoe

Quote from: stromboli on September 22, 2015, 11:29:26 PM
My ancestors the Celts

They didn't wear clothing in battle because the cloth had dirt and bacteria on it and caused wounds to be infected. So badass the Romans built a wall across Northern England to keep them out.

You think that somewhere back in history -any where/any time- any women fought dressed like that?!

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Munch

Quote from: Hydra009 on September 22, 2015, 10:04:44 PM
I usually go the other way.  Ditch the hooker wear for more practical armor.

Like you, I'm not prudish, it just seems too bizarre for basically a thong to be considered heavy armor and somehow protect the midsection despite not actually covering it.

I agree with that too, the options should both by unbiased armor we can choose either gender to be how we want it to look.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Baruch

Quote from: drunkenshoe on September 23, 2015, 03:44:20 AM
You think that somewhere back in history -any where/any time- any women fought dressed like that?!

The Catholic Church banned women from combat, in Ireland, around 650 CE ... so they must have been doing it to be banned.

Celtic berserkers went into battle stark naked ... and there is a famous feud in the Scottish Highlands, from much later, where the men on both sides took off their clothes, except for their breach-clothes ... so they could better fight with broadswords.  So yes, it is possible that some women fought, and they might have had a few stitches on ... but the men, not so much ... at least if the weather was warm.

I would think that the pre-Muslim Turkish people over by China might have fought with few clothes too.  With Islam there could be no women fighters, and they would have had to be fully encumbered with clothes.  There was a recent video of a Mongol teen girl with a pet eagle.  A young woman like that might have fought, and not played the Barbie Doll.  Mongol noblewomen were notably politically involved.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Atheon

Peeve: people who say "I'm not used to losing. I'm a winner. I've never lost in my life." Losers.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

Munch

Quote from: Atheon on September 28, 2015, 10:35:50 AM
Peeve: people who say "I'm not used to losing. I'm a winner. I've never lost in my life." Losers.

In a similar vain, I hate people who outright say that something is crap, be it a movie, game, food, drink, when they haven't even tried it or watched it, but are so convinced its crap because its not there kind of thing, that it must be crap.

Hydra009

Quote from: Munch on September 28, 2015, 01:35:53 PM
In a similar vain, I hate people who outright say that something is crap, be it a movie, game, food, drink, when they haven't even tried it or watched it, but are so convinced its crap because its not there kind of thing, that it must be crap.
I dunno.  Sometimes you can just tell something's bad despite not having personally seen much of it.  Like Son of Mask or God's Not Dead.  Nobody saw the trailer to those movies and thought to themselves that they're in for a treat.  Sure, it's possible to have a wrong first impression, but generally speaking, the first impression is usually a pretty good indicator.

And honestly, most judgments are snap judgments.  Because it's impossible for anyone to have extensive knowledge about all the choices.  You go to a movie theater and you have to make a decision based on very limited information.  This is essentially why critics exist.

Most people decide if games are good or bad based on the trailer, if that.  Sometimes, it's just the box art.  A person physically picks up a game or sees the game page on Steam or Humble Bundle and makes a snap judgment.  Essentially judging a book by its cover.  A rare soul might watch some gameplay videos or play the demo, but that's fairly atypical.

aitm

Quote from: Munch on September 28, 2015, 01:35:53 PM

I will go out on a limb and say, NO I have never seen any "survivor" shows and will say outright it's CRAP.  So there!
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

josephpalazzo

Quote from: aitm on September 28, 2015, 02:27:58 PM
I will go out on a limb and say, NO I have never seen any "survivor" shows and will say outright it's CRAP.  So there!

NO I have never seen any "Bachelor" shows and will say outright it's CRAP.  So there!

Munch

Quote from: aitm on September 28, 2015, 02:27:58 PM

Fair enough ^^, I was more thinking of the kinds of people who say something is crap despite it being given good reviews, and despite that fact they still conclude it's crap without seeing it.
It's like my brother, who for the longest time has said Harry potter is crap, yet has never seen a single movie or read a book. Now his son has gotten into the film's, and my brother has had to sit down and watch them, given how some of the things in the later movies might be to scary for a 4 year old.

It's more just that attitude, not so much that 'its something that doesn't appeal to me so I won't watch it' attitude, it's the one where you just say it's crap regardless of anyone else liking it.

stromboli

Sean Penn. He just pisses me the fuck off.

JBCuzISaidSo

"Fake it till you make it."

Oh my good Pete! NO! Fuck YOU.

If you don't know what you're doing, you're being a full on twat by pretending you do have a clue, and making what you're up to trivial by stating that it can be faked until knowledge is gained. Those of us that do know what you're up to can see right through ya. Peer acceptance or mainstream, you aren't getting as far with the latter as you assume.
It’s a strange myth that atheists have nothing to live for. It’s the opposite. We have nothing to die for. We have everything to live for.
-- Ricky Gervais

Listen, Big Deal, we've got a bigger problem here. Women always figure out the truth. Always.
--Han Solo, The Force Awakens

Munch

Also, static shock catching you off guard, like a lift button, or a metal hand rail.

Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

stromboli

I will go out on a limb and will say NO I have never seen "The Voice" and I will say it is outright CRAP. So there!