Author Topic: 10,000 Inmates back on the street (?)  (Read 1978 times)

10,000 Inmates back on the street (?)
« on: August 03, 2013, 07:43:46 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I am currently experiencing life at several WTFs per hour.

Offline Solitary

Re: 10,000 Inmates back on the street (?)
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2013, 07:53:18 AM »
Privatizing prisons and making people criminals because of their race, being poor, or that need medical help isn't working out too well for the republicans is it?  :popcorn:  Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2013, 08:25:17 AM »
Why not just let the ones that are in for smoking weed out.  

Job done.
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2013, 08:46:08 AM »
Solitary wrote:
Privatizing prisons and making people criminals because of their race, being poor, or that need medical help isn't working out too well for the republicans is it?
Then why have the Democrats continued to back the Republicans in their War on Drugs?

Like Jason78 says:
Then this problem could be solved.  But, no!  The oligarchy won't allow the Mexicans to have their marijuana.  It would hurt their sales of cocaine and heroin.

Offline Solitary

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2013, 08:50:42 AM »
Then why have the Democrats continued to back the Republicans in their War on Drugs?

I think you answered your question with your post.  =D>  Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2013, 01:31:35 AM »
I wouldn't say drugs are a good thing, but locking people up at the rate we've been doing and for as long as they have been sentencing them for is a whole lot worse.

And for christ sake, why the hell do you have to pass a weed test to work at McDonald's or Walmart? Who thought that stupid idea up? For a lot of those jobs it ought to be a fringe benefit.

Offline frosty

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2013, 01:50:04 AM »
There should really, really be some type of conditional amnesty they are released upon.

If their sentence is considered minor, let them go on probation, provided they do not become repeat re-offenders. Check up on them and if they violate their conditions of probation, back into prison they go.

Releasing minor nobody offenders that don't have blood or stolen money on their hands can be a good thing provided you do not just open the prison gates, and let them go while saying "bye!!" as they are leaving the prison premises.

And some people are trying to make it a partisan issue, which doesn't surprise me when it comes to the U.S. But this whole process can work right if the right steps are followed.

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2013, 09:54:11 AM »
Quote from: "Jason78"

Job done.

People don't go to prison for having a small amount of weed in California. It's a petty misdemeanor, which is 100 dollar fine, max. It's actually pretty easy to get a medical card, which lets you off the hook totally.
???  ??

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2013, 10:48:47 AM »
frosty wrote in part:
If their sentence is considered minor, let them go on probation, provided they do not become repeat re-offenders. Check up on them and if they violate their conditions of probation, back into prison they go.
The parole officers in the state complain they are over worked now.  Adding 10,000 people will make their work load nearly impossible to really monitor all of these people.

Another problem will be the inmates themselves finding housing and jobs.   As Eric1958 points out:
And for christ sake, why the hell do you have to pass a weed test to work at McDonald's or Walmart? Who thought that stupid idea up? For a lot of those jobs it ought to be a fringe benefit.
Many companies won't hire felonies and many require drug tests.  One of the most common tests, is a hair sample taken to check for marijuana use.  Someone who has used marijuana in the last month, will come up positive and be denied work.  

I can agree with Eric1958's assessment of with some jobs, using weed should be a fringe benefit.  When I was doing concrete work, almost all of the other workers smoked pot.  I understood completely, as I was sorely tempted to toke-up too.  Didn't because I was looking for other work at the time.

Landlords often run background checks on potential tenants, so if someone has any type of bust, they won't rent to them.  So, even if they have the money for an apartment, they can't get one.

Of course, if the government was to address adequate housing and employment, the numbers in the jails wouldn't be as bad as it is now, and the whole point of finding jobs and housing for 10,000 released inmates would never have become an issue in the first place.

Oh well.  I keep my ammo dry.   :cry:

Offline Colanth

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2013, 09:51:26 PM »
Quote from: "Eric1958"
Totally irrelevant to this issue.  A company in NY requires that you don't smoke.  Not don't smoke on company premises, or don't smoke during working hours, but they won't hire smokers.

As long as a company doesn't discriminate unnecessarily* against a protected class, and pot smoker isn't a protected class, McD's and Wally World are free to require drug tests.

*They can refuse to hire a man as a women's swim suit model, for example.  It's necessary discrimination.
Afflicting the comfortable for 70 years.
Science builds skyscrapers, faith flies planes into them.

Offline AllPurposeAtheist

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2013, 10:56:22 PM »
California has a long agonizing history with its penal system. It's one of the most brutal and unforgiving systems in the US. There are also massive hunger strikes currently ongoing in the system protesting inmate abuse, malnutrition, arbitrary harsh sentencing, no checks or balances and on and on. It's a living hell by all accounts and run by criminal gangs in its administration.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2013, 12:35:25 AM »
Quote from: "Solitary"
Privatizing prisons and making people criminals because of their race, being poor, or that need medical help isn't working out too well for the republicans is it?  :popcorn:  Solitary

Yeah, those red states like California really need to get it together and vote in some democrats.

Offline AllPurposeAtheist

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2013, 11:35:06 AM »
Fact is 'tough on crime' has been a big hit since Nixon and the cost is always hidden. Both parties play that card.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk