Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Pope: atheists ok.... but.....

Started by Youssuf Ramadan, August 02, 2013, 05:27:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Youssuf Ramadan

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 29390.html

QuotePope Francis: Being an atheist is alright as long as you do good

Pope Francis has said that atheists should be seen as good people as long as they do good, in a move to urge people of all religions - or no religion at all - to get along.
The Catholic leader, who heads the 1.2 billion-strong Church, made his comments in the homily of his morning Mass in his residence, a daily event where he speaks without prepared comments.
He told the story of a Catholic who asked a priest if even atheists could be redeemed by Jesus.
"Even them, everyone," the pope answered, according to Vatican Radio. "We all have the duty to do good," he said.
"Just do good and we'll find a meeting point," the pope said in a hypothetical conversation in which someone told a priest: "But I don't believe. I'm an atheist."
Pope Francis's comments are in marked contrast to his predecessor Benedict, who is reported to have left some non-Catholics feeling that he saw them as second-class believers.

But we're still going to hell. WOOOOOOOOOOOP!!!  :twisted:

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/05 ... 41368.html

QuoteVatican Confirms Atheists Still Going To Hell, Despite Pope Francis Remarks

The Vatican has clarified that atheists will still go to hell if they reject God, after Pope Francis broke with tradition to deliver a homily stating non-believers who do good will be redeemed through Jesus.
The Pope's words made headlines around the world after he gave an unprepared speech in which he emphasised the importance of "doing good" as a principle which unites all humanity.
After international media attention, the Vatican attempted clarify how exactly one gets in to heaven, with Rev. Thomas Rosica, a Vatican spokesman, saying that people who know about the Catholic church "cannot be saved" if they "refuse to enter her or remain in her."
That is, atheists are still going to hell.
However there was still hope for the sinful among us, as "every man or woman, whatever their situation, can be saved. Even non-Christians can respond to this saving action of the Spirit. No person is excluded from salvation simply because of so-called original sin."

OK.  Are y'all clear on this now?   :rolleyes:

surly74

The pope not automatically towing the company line? Yep.
God bless those Pagans
--
Homer Simpson

WitchSabrina

Ever notice whenever a pope makes a completely humanist remark the Vatican denies it or kills it?
 :rollin:
I am currently experiencing life at several WTFs per hour.

surly74

seeing it hasn't happened all that often i am noticing it though. Francis seems to be pretty moderate and level headed for a catholic.
God bless those Pagans
--
Homer Simpson

Hijiri Byakuren

If the Pope has a direct line to God, doesn't that make the Vatican wrong to contradict him?
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

WitchSabrina

Quote from: "Hijiri Byakuren"If the Pope has a direct line to God, doesn't that make the Vatican wrong to contradict him?

Yep - pretty much the point I was driving at (without saying it)
 :rollin:  :rollin:  :rollin:

That's why it is straight up retarded for the Vatican to resend anything Popeness says.   Whut? Oh...for a few moments on this day He was Not the voice of god on earth?  Check.  (cause mere mortal men say so - check check)
I am currently experiencing life at several WTFs per hour.

LikelyToBreak

I see this as being good.  A small step towards reasonableness.  Maybe he'll even take another small step towards being more humanitarian.  We can always hope so.

Or we could pray for it.   :shock:    :-&    :rolleyes:  
 :rollin:
Got cha'!
 :twisted:

Colanth

Atheists:  The Pope should be seen as a good person as long as he does good.  (Which hasn't happened in a long time.)
Afflicting the comfortable for 70 years.
Science builds skyscrapers, faith flies planes into them.