Russia's Anti-Gay Olympic plans

Started by WitchSabrina, August 01, 2013, 10:18:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Skeletal Atheist

Quote from: "Colanth"
Quote from: "SilentFutility"
Quote from: "WitchSabrina"What is the litmus test for proving gayness prior to athletic endeavors?  How will they disallow certain athletes from competing?

:wtf:  :wtf:  :wtf:

AHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh    (screams at stupid)

They didn't say ban from competing, they said that the government does not have the right to make foreign athletes immune to Russian law just because they're visiting athletes. It just so happens that the law is a particularly nasty one. If the police choose to detain and deport them for being gay, thus violating the law, they can.
And they can be detained for up to 14 days, then expelled for being gay so, as Bri asked, how do they prove "gayness"?

How about just putting a rainbow on the Olympic patch?  Then every competitor will be wearing the "gay symbol", and the Russian authorities can go to the trouble of detaining (meaning housing and feeding) the entire Olympic contingent, then expelling all of them?  The 2014 Olympics would have an asterisk - and no records - in the record books.
I'm afraid the Russian version of "detain" isn't quite the same as the western version. I mean, it's similar, but there's a lot more beatings.
Some people need to be beaten with a smart stick.

Kein Mehrheit Fur Die Mitleid!

Kein Mitlied F�r Die Mehrheit!

SilentFutility

Quote from: "SilentFutility"
Quote from: "WitchSabrina"What is the litmus test for proving gayness prior to athletic endeavors?  How will they disallow certain athletes from competing?

:wtf:  :wtf:  :wtf:

AHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh    (screams at stupid)

They didn't say ban from competing, they said that the government does not have the right to make foreign athletes immune to Russian law just because they're visiting athletes. It just so happens that the law is a particularly nasty one. If the police choose to detain and deport them for being gay, thus violating the law, they can.
And they can be detained for up to 14 days, then expelled for being gay so, as Bri asked, how do they prove "gayness"?

I was merely pointing out that they weren't directly disallowing anyone from competing, which she did say.

As for proving gayness, clearly you can't, and we all know it. I didn't address that point nor attempt to rebuff it because it is perfectly valid. However, I think that it is fairly likely that the police have leeway to interpret "gayness" and that it is under a fairly broad definition, judging by their recent actions against the equally unmeasurable, undefined "spreading of gay propaganda" that leads to very definite, measurable problems for people accused of doing such.

The law itself is disgusting, and very nasty, and it is a problem that reaches far deeper than the upcoming olympics.

Jack89

From what I can find, the Russian anti-gay law is aimed at "displays of homosexuality in public or the dissemination of homosexual "propaganda"." While I believe this law is oppressive and a clear violation of individual rights, it doesn't say you'll get arrested for being gay.  If I've missed some aspect of their law that says otherwise, please enlighten me.

Colanth

Quote from: "SilentFutility"As for proving gayness, clearly you can't, and we all know it. I didn't address that point nor attempt to rebuff it because it is perfectly valid. However, I think that it is fairly likely that the police have leeway to interpret "gayness" and that it is under a fairly broad definition
I suspect it's like the old Soviet definition of "insane", which was limited to "we want to lock you up".
Afflicting the comfortable for 70 years.
Science builds skyscrapers, faith flies planes into them.

SilentFutility

Quote from: "SilentFutility"As for proving gayness, clearly you can't, and we all know it. I didn't address that point nor attempt to rebuff it because it is perfectly valid. However, I think that it is fairly likely that the police have leeway to interpret "gayness" and that it is under a fairly broad definition
I suspect it's like the old Soviet definition of "insane", which was limited to "we want to lock you up".
It's probably not far off.
Most people's opposition to homosexuality in general basically seems to boil down to "I am uncomfortable with it", so I can't really imagine that arresting someone of disseminating gay propaganda is little more than "I don't like what you're doing".

DigitalBot

First of all, anti-gay law does not punish gays for being gays, it punishes people for "propaganda of non-traditional sexual relations among children" As Mezulina have said "non-traditional sexual relations" means "all the sexual relations that do not lead to birth of children". So oral sex probably is non-traditional sexual relation too. Coulples who have no children have non-traditional sexual relations too. "Among children" means that children are able to see or hear things that you are doing or saying. "Propaganda" means to say "it is OK to be gay" or to kiss same sex person. I am not sure about wearing female clothes, because here are popular tv show men who always wear female clothes and big boobs, and they still dont have any problem with law. So it is probably ok to look like this

I have to say that public opinion is realy against gays in Russia. I think  70% of russian people think that  gays should not show their gayness in public. There are people who think that we must kill gays.

Mezulina who is one of the authors of anti-gay law says that the reason why she made this law is that she don't want her children would be able to see gay propaganda. The irony is that her children live in Belgium. Children of vast majority of United Russia political party members (including Putin) live in Europe or United States. Members of  United Russia have property in Europe and USA, they hold their money in European and US banks. So you need visa ban for these people.

P.S. I think that Vitaly Milonov is gay. Russian internet is full of pictures like this (now and 20 years ago)

P.P.S. I wonder how nobody have noticed a new anti-atheistic Russian law. Now you would be sentenced to 5 year imprisonment  if you offended religious person's feelings.
Good always wins over evil, therefore the one who won is the one who was genuine good.

Colanth

What's wrong with a child hearing reality, like "it's okay to be gay"?  It IS okay to be gay, short, blonde, female ... however one is born.

DigitalBot

Quote from: "Colanth"What's wrong with a child hearing reality, like "it's okay to be gay"?  It IS okay to be gay, short, blonde, female ... however one is born.
They believe their child can become a gay in this case.
And by the way in USSR having sex with same sex person was a crime.
Good always wins over evil, therefore the one who won is the one who was genuine good.

WitchSabrina

I am currently experiencing life at several WTFs per hour.

Colanth

Quote from: "DigitalBot"
Quote from: "Colanth"What's wrong with a child hearing reality, like "it's okay to be gay"?  It IS okay to be gay, short, blonde, female ... however one is born.
They believe their child can become a gay in this case.
When reality contradicts belief, it's not reality that's wrong.

QuoteAnd by the way in USSR having sex with same sex person was a crime.
So was being an intellectual.  (That's not what the crime was called, but that's what a lot of people were arrested for.)