Just found out I have a religious tattoo???

Started by ZachyFTW, July 30, 2013, 11:21:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PickelledEggs

Quote from: "Shiranu"To be fair again, the one we use IS the Asian Yin & Yang. But like the cross, it predates the religion/philosophy it is associated with (Cross obvious as a tool of execution, but the Celtics and other groups have used the cross motif before the Roman's used it to execute and long before Christianity was exposed to them).

But even using that argument, I don't think the Roman version had anything to do with Christianity, nor the Celtic.
Very true.
and if I recall correctly, the cross not only dates back to ancient Egypt, but I heard from a few sources that it also has to do with something about astrology

Edit: I think the astrology part of it was to help people agriculturally.

Aroura33

Quote from: "Shiranu"The oldest yin-yang is actually Roman and Celtic. The Celtic version dates back as far as possibly the 5th century B.C.E, though it lacked the dots. Bellow is the Roman version.

[ Image ]

That said, when we use the yin-yang we commonly think of the Asian meaning behind it.
You are comparing apples and oranges.  The symbols are now called by the same name now because of appearance only (like, crosses are all called crosses even if they are not related to Christianity), but they arose separately and have very different cultural meanings.  It is nothing like the cross, which was stolen and turned into something else directly.  

They are similar in appearance, but otherwise, completely unrelated.  To say one arose earlier is extremely misleading,. as it implies they are somehow otherwise mostly the same.

Oh, BTW @ the OP:  Ahahahah!  Wow, people can be seriously stupid.
"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.  LLAP"
Leonard Nimoy

mykcob4

Quote from: "Shiranu"The oldest yin-yang is actually Roman and Celtic. The Celtic version dates back as far as possibly the 5th century B.C.E, though it lacked the dots. Bellow is the Roman version.

[ Image ]

That said, when we use the yin-yang we commonly think of the Asian meaning behind it.
Actually the Chinese version predates the Celtics by at least two centuries, maybe longer.

ZachyFTW

You all bring up very good points but are completely missing mine. I didn't get offended because she thought it was a Christian symbol, I got offended because she said "I must have strong faith." She did not even know my name but felt like she knew enough in her peanut sized head to understand why something meant so much to me that I got it permanently inked onto my skin. If you look at something from your own bias perspective of course you're going to see what you want to. I would have had a completely different opinion if she had ask me what it meant to me. It symbolizes the struggles I've gone through, the troubles I've overcome, the hope that I have in my life. I got it inked onto me because of what it means to me. I don't give a flying fuck if it means sodomy to someone else, it's my body and my mind. Her is a picture for those interested.  http://distilleryimage8.s3.amazonaws.co ... 9be5_6.jpg
"If you wake up tomorrow morning and say a few Latin words over your pancakes thinking that they will turn into Elvis Presley, then you have lost your mind. Do the same with a cracker and Jesus, then you\'re just a Catholic."- Sam Harris

ApostateLois

Ah, but she KNOWS what it means to you because she KNOWS what the symbol means to her! Her pastor probably told her, and he has, like, a direct connection to God and stuff, so how could she be wrong? Actually, she probably got it from this fucked-up page. It's one of those pages that is so over-the-top that I can't tell if it's real or satire.  :rolleyes:
"Now we see through a glass dumbly." ~Crow, MST3K #903, "Puma Man"

AllPurposeAtheist

Tooth fairy has 'her' roots in Jaheeeezez.. :)
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Colanth

Quote from: "ApostateLois"Actually, she probably got it from this fucked-up page. It's one of those pages that is so over-the-top that I can't tell if it's real or satire.  :rolleyes:
It's not satire, but to be any more wrong one would have to use something other than words.  To put in terms of the page itself, it's extremely high in Stupid-Fu.

BTW:
Yin-yang, light-dark, good-bad.
Christianity, light-dark, good-bad.

Add just one more level of stupid.  But I like the page's contention that this "not perfect light, not perfect dark" - which is what Christianity tells us that all people are - is somehow pro-homosexuality, which Christianity - and Communism - is against.

Yin-yang, Christianity and Communism are all the same thing according to this page.  And I won't even think of contradicting that.
Afflicting the comfortable for 70 years.
Science builds skyscrapers, faith flies planes into them.

robbcayman

You should have gotten a tramp stamp.  :)

Jack89

Quote from: "Hydra009"And the Buddhist wheel symbolizes that Jesus is always at the helm.   :P
Or the mark of chaos on your World Eater.