Previous topic - Next topic

Triple Nine

This may be GI's best video yet...

[youtube:14kozztc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxADTscoW-A[/youtube:14kozztc]
Playing: Skullgirls
On hold: Shin Megami Tensei IV (3DS)
Pokemon X & Y (3DS)
Whenever I get my GODDAMNED 3DS back  \":evil:\"
Religion, Nationalism, and Racism is all under the evil wing of Conservatism and preservation of useless traditions!

Solitary

I'm curious as to how a teacher, racist or not, is suppose to teach under those conditions? Any suggestions? Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

WitchSabrina

I think it's odd that I read 'racist' and 'teacher' in the same sentence.  Those two things just do not seem to go together. But then I suppose teacher's just have personalities and inclinations as anyone else - eh?
I am currently experiencing life at several WTFs per hour.

Triple Nine

Quote from: "Solitary"I'm curious as to how a teacher, racist or not, is suppose to teach under those conditions? Any suggestions? Solitary

Find out what the kids like, be personable, don't be afraid to go have discussions that are related to but not exactly direct to the material. Basically, be an authority figure but be light hearted.
Playing: Skullgirls
On hold: Shin Megami Tensei IV (3DS)
Pokemon X & Y (3DS)
Whenever I get my GODDAMNED 3DS back  \":evil:\"
Religion, Nationalism, and Racism is all under the evil wing of Conservatism and preservation of useless traditions!

Colanth

All I see, from the quoted text, is "incompetent teaching staff".  I've seen white teachers teaching 100% white classes have the same problem and I've seen both black and white teachers, both men and women, not having these problems teaching predominantly, or even totally, black classrooms.

A teacher who allows this kind of pandemonium for even 5 minutes on the first day of class is incompetent.  (Once the kids learn that your class is a free-for-all, you'll never regain control.)  The original complaint is, probably unwittingly, a condemnation of the teaching standards in today's schools, not a condemnation of students.

Do poor, black schools get worse teachers?  Probably - but due to the fact that the tax base in those areas is poorer, so the salaries are lower.  Walk into any high school classroom in a middle- or upper-class neighborhood that's predominantly black (yes, there are plenty of such neighborhoods) and you'll see the same decorum that you see in white middle- or upper-class high school classrooms.

(Granted, there IS a difference in the students too.  Kids who come from households in which education is held in contempt don't care whether they get an education.  But a competent teacher can at least maintain a certain level of discipline, whether the students learn or not.)
Afflicting the comfortable for 70 years.
Science builds skyscrapers, faith flies planes into them.