‘Disgraceful’ for Pregnant Women to Show Their...wait for it

Started by drunkenshoe, July 30, 2013, 04:16:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drunkenshoe

'Swinging Bellies' in Public!

http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/presen ... sCatID=341
QuoteTurkish lawyer and Sufi thinker Ömer Tu?rul ?nançer has sparked a public outcry after telling state television station TRT 1 that it was immoral for pregnant women with huge bellies to reveal themselves in public.

"Announcing pregnancy with a flourish of trumpets is against our civility. [They] should not wander on the streets with such bellies. First of all, it is not aesthetic," ?nançer said. "After seven or eight months of pregnancy, future mothers go out their husbands by car to get some fresh air. And they go out in the evening hours. But now, they are all on television. It's disgraceful. It is not realism, it is immorality."

After ?nançer's remarks, the program's host said, "May God be pleased with you" in response.
Meanwhile, TRT officials said the comments expressed belonged only to ?nançer and did not reflect the official view of the channel.

Lawyer stands by remarks

?nançer defended his remarks today, insisting that the appearance of pregnant women was not aesthetic, according to Anadolu Agency.

"You get married and get pregnant. Okay, you did well. [However], this can not be singled out as the reason you are swinging your belly. The image is not aesthetic. I am still saying the same thing. Why don't you understand?" These are venerable things. And venerable things are kept in a respectful way," he said.

"Pregnancy is not made that apparent. Moreover, that's why young girls are scared of giving birth," ?nançer said.

?nançer also said companies gave maternity leave not so that women could "wander" the streets, but to stay in their homes.

No isolation against women: Religious Affairs Directorate

There is not isolation against women in Islam, and being a mother is a gift, Turkey's Religious Affairs Directorate said in a statement following the reactions.

"There is nothing like isolation against women in the religion. There is no isolation for pregnant women, either.  On the contrary, being mother is a gift," the statement said, while still calling on pregnant women to dress modestly. "However, pregnant women should be more careful about their dressing – every woman should. [They] should not wear clothes showing their bellies or backs."
It also emphasized that "we learn religion from the Quran and the life of the Prophet Muhammad."

Reactions from lawmakers

Lawmakers from the opposition and ruling parties strongly condemned ?nançer and his remarks. Justice and Development Party (AKP) deputy and former minister Nimet Ba? said no one could limit women according to men's aesthetic understanding.

Republican People's Party (CHP) deputy Aylin Nazl?aka said any understanding that dictated what women could say, how many children they could have and how to give birth was unacceptable.

"They should stop taking on women in this country. They would intervene in the air that women breath [if they could]," Nazl?aka said.

Mehmet Oktay, a Nationalist Movement Party (MHP) deputy, also slammed ?nançer's words, recalling Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdo?an's suggestions about how many children families were supposed to have.

"[?nançer says] pregnant women on streets are disgraceful. Isn't it disgraceful when Prime Minister Erdo?an tells [people] to have at least three children or five children?" Oktay said. "Isn't it disgraceful when the prime minister bargains with the bride and groom for children?"

Oktay also criticized TRT1 for becoming a one-sided propaganda establishment.

?nançer's words also attracted a flurry of criticism on social media, with the hashtag #Ömer Tu?rul ?nançer trending on Twitter, while others called on Facebook users to lodge a complaint against TRT1 and ?nançer at the media watchdog RTÜK.

Activists have also called for people to march on Taksim's ?stiklal Avenue at 7 p.m. with pillows under the shirts to show support for pregnant women.

And naturally there were protests. Some pics from various places. Pregnant women, women pretending to be pregnant -also a few men,lol. Main slogan is "We gonna give birth by walking around in streets" and also some heavy ones referring to the 8 deaths in protests as "Die on the street, but do not walk around pregnant!" and "If you are pregnant it's a problem, but if you are raped it's not that important" for just 4-5 years given to a bunch rapists in a recent horrifying event.

Jason78

QuoteThe image is not aesthetic.

That dude should wait until he's in the delivery room with his wife!  There's nothing aesthetic about childbirth!
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

Plu

I actually think there's something beautiful about pregnant women, but that's maybe because I'm only familiar with women who are really happy to be pregnant.

Shiranu

I really don't get what is up with men and being so offended by biology.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Jason78

Quote from: "Shiranu"I really don't get what is up with men and being so offended by biology.
It's not just men, it's women too.

surly74

Quote from: "Jason78"
QuoteThe image is not aesthetic.

That dude should wait until he's in the delivery room with his wife!  There's nothing aesthetic about childbirth!

ahahahahaha. yeah it's not like the movies.
God bless those Pagans
--
Homer Simpson

Jason78

Quote from: "drunkenshoe"
Quote from: "Jason78"
Quote from: "Shiranu"I really don't get what is up with men and being so offended by biology.
It's not just men, it's women too.

Oh really? What is this male biology women are so offended that some system suggested they shouldn't go out in that phase of their lives? Pregnancy or a pregnant woman is a taboo more or less in every system. The whole fucking systems are practically designed around to secure that taboo.

And again in a thread about a problem ONLY WOMEN CAN SUFFER -as far as I know men still cannot get pregnant- an idiot with sharp intellect couldn't help himself -that is you Jason- and puked all over the place, oh but he is such an 'egalitarian' don't get him wrong.

Now, we are waiting for other 'egalitarians' to arrive to bring up some other bullshit and bitch like a redfem in heat about how men suffer exactly the same. 5 internet points whoever comes up first with the obvious 'f' word that scares the hell out of the majority of cocks around.

5, 4, 3...
Try breastfeeding in public.  I've seen more women get offended by that than men.

Plu

I think he just meant that women are scared of female biology (and biology in general) as well.

It's more like all these people think they're spesjhul because they have souls and don't like to be reminded that they're just sacks of meat like every other animal out there. And what better way to be reminded than by a good showing of human biology?

surly74

calm the fuck down.

I think Jason meant that women can be offended by female biology the same as men can. In the US there are women that are trying to enact abortion laws too.

do you have to go off the rails everytime something like this happens?
God bless those Pagans
--
Homer Simpson

Jason78

Quote from: "surly74"I think Jason meant that women can be offended by female biology the same as men can.

That is exactly what I meant.

This isn't a men vs women issue.

Plu

You're being silly drunkenshoe. This is all that anyone who mentioned the word "women" meant:

Quote from: "Shiranu"I really don't get what is up with [s:dyomi1e2]men[/s:dyomi1e2] people and being so offended by biology.

Nothing more. So unless you want to argue about the above modification being somehow "harmful to women" or something, you should probably just drop it :/

surly74

Quote from: "drunkenshoe"
Quote from: "surly74"calm the fuck down.

I think Jason meant that women can be offended by female biology the same as men can. In the US there are women that are trying to enact abortion laws too.

do you have to go off the rails everytime something like this happens?

Obviously men have a right to do the exact same moronic thing, every fucking time, in every fucking thread, when a problem about women is expressed. But that doesn't disturb you at all, may be you really can't get it I don't care at all, but you just pretend like I am getting pissed of no reason, because this is not some main issues of the forum AND bringing up something as stupid as women trying to enact abortion laws as an example.

There are countless women on this planet trying to enact the most violent sharia laws for fuck's sake, none of it is the subject of this thread.

seriously? i used that as an example of what I thought maybe Jason was getting at. jesus fucking christ you blow things out of proportion and make it nearly impossible to have a rational discussion (not that i'm trying to here, just expressed my thoughts on what I thought another poster may have meant and gave an example).

so, whatever. stuff like what this lawyer says sadly doesn't surprise me anymore. I don't agree with him, don't like what he says and yet you get pissed with me, look for something that isn't there. in the future just ignore me please?
God bless those Pagans
--
Homer Simpson

Plu

Everyone else got it right the first time. It might just be you making more of it than it is, this time.

This might sound very condescending, but it's not meant as such. Unless you can point out a different way to logically wrap these sentences together, I really don't think jason deserves the flak he's getting from you.

A) I don't get what's up with men being so offended by biology
B) It's not just men, it's women too

So..
replace "men" with "men and women"

and you get...
C) I don't get what's up with men and women being so offended by biology

which can be simplified to
D) I don't get what's up with people being so offended by biology

I really see no other way to interpret his statement unless I really start to look for ways to mess up the reasoning and read things into his post that aren't actually there. And this is a really straight forward reading of both posts.

Plu

QuoteWhy would I

Well, apparently because you're reading all sorts of things into posts that aren't actually there. I really have no other way to describe it. Shiranu didn't mention the word "women" at any point, so there's no reason to believe he specifically meant "female biology" unless you subconsciously add that word to his post. Just because it's a topic about aman hating on pregnancy doesn't automatically mean that other posts are specifically about men hating on female biology, and there's no real reason to believe Shiranu's one-line comment was anything more than a general comment, or should be taken as anything else.

aitm

A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust