For Your Wooing Pleasure: Top 10 Unexplained Phenomena

Started by stromboli, July 26, 2013, 04:28:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stromboli

http://www.livescience.com/11345-top-te ... omena.html

For the record I think 6,3,2 and 1 are total bullshit. I have enough experience with odd sounds and sights while in the desert and in the wilderness to not totally discount UFOs, Bigfoot I'll give a pass until it is disproven, and the Taos hum thing I might have an explanation for. Which I won't give you, 'cause its like secret&shit.  :-D

Plu

To be honest, the first thing that springs to mind when saying "a sound only 2% can hear" is something on the verge of human hearing. Probably at the bottom, because low frequency sounds are more common in nature.

Intuition isn't so much bullshit as it's just a really hard thing to study; we subconsciously pick up loads of sensor information from our surroundings, but it's tough to actually research something like that.

And the body/mind connection is just something we don't understand. We'll figure that one out soon enough.

AllPurposeAtheist

Godidit.. Everything can be explained with godidit. You need not seek any further explanations. Bigfoot? Godidit. 2%? Godidit. Now stop trying to confuse facts with 'science'.. Science schmience.. godidit.. :roll:
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

SGOS

When I'm a certain distance from rushing mountain streams, not too close, but not to far, I hear people laughing, playing, and jabbering, but no one is there.  Unfortunately, any practical application of this ability still eludes me.:-D

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: "SGOS"When I'm a certain distance from rushing mountain streams, not too close, but not to far, I hear people laughing, playing, and jabbering, but no one is there.  Unfortunately, any practical application of this ability still eludes me.:-D
The use is obvious..convert non believers to godidit.. :wink:

stromboli

Right, as in very low frequency, which is beneath the level of most human hearing. there is also a condition among elderly people- remember, the people who heard this are mostly elderly- called Musical Ear Syndrome. I have it. It is a form of Tinnitis, and includes everything from humming to the low sound of something like a lawnmower to other sounds, including actual music. First time I heard it it freaked me out, until I did some studying and figured out what was going on.

I also know that there are geographical locations that because of rock mineral content, generate a piezoelectric effect and can actually create electrical discharges under certain conditions, so something like that could be involved.

Whether it is a natural phenomena or a perceived one, I think it will be explained by science.

AllPurposeAtheist

Odd things happen all the time science can't really explain, the biological response to smelling a rose and our attraction to it vs our aversion to other non harmful odors.. one flower smells good to some while others want to puke when they smell the same flower.. A lot of weird shit like that happens..

leo

Science can't explain the power of the  chuck Norris roundhouse kick.
Religion is Bullshit  . The winner of the last person to post wins thread .

Solitary

If it is to Ted Nugent's head they might from the ringing sound it would make.  :shock:  :lol:  Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Sal1981

Shiranu

Quote from: "leo"Science can't explain the power of the  chuck Norris roundhouse kick.

Indeed... how can anyone explain how something so hyped can have less force than a baby slapping you with its eyelash?
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

FrankDK

Quote from: "SGOS"When I'm a certain distance from rushing mountain streams, not too close, but not to far, I hear people laughing, playing, and jabbering, but no one is there.  Unfortunately, any practical application of this ability still eludes me.:-D

Practical application:  Make a recording of the streams.  Claim that there are message from water sprites in the recording.  Sell CDs over the Internet.  Buy TV time for an "infomercial."  Sell loads of CDs.  Get rich.  Send me some of the money for coming up with the idea.

Frank

Johan

Quote from: "from the link"10 The Taos Hum
Whether described as a whir, hum, or buzz and whether psychological, natural, or supernatural no one has yet been able to locate the sound's origin.
Question: Has anyone been able to prove that the sound even exists? Only 2% of people report being able to hear it. I'm pretty sure about 2% of the residence of most major cities would report having had dinner with Elvis last week but that doesn't mean it happened. Instead of trying to locate the source, I would think the logical first step would be to prove that the sound actually exists and can be measured. And that would be a fairly quick and easy thing to do with some sensitive microphones and measuring equipment. So has this been done?
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

Colanth

Woo is right.  Other than the Taos hum, it's nonsense or woo.
Afflicting the comfortable for 70 years.
Science builds skyscrapers, faith flies planes into them.

AllPurposeAtheist

I'm always amazed how many people, theists in particular who have never heard the term, 'Woo'. Try explaining it to them and you'll get the dumbest looks as if it's some secret atheist ritual.