News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Earth as a dot in space

Started by WitchSabrina, July 23, 2013, 07:11:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WitchSabrina

Cool pictures.   But the comments below the article are priceless.
Enjoy.

http://weather.aol.com/2013/07/22/look- ... =webmail22

And --- all I could think was "of course Earth is a dot of light in space.  Just as Venus is to my eyes when I see it in the night's sky. A duh."
I am currently experiencing life at several WTFs per hour.

Plu

Yeah. The stupid is rampant in the comments. Beautiful picture, though.

WitchSabrina

Quotetanyamccleish
The objectivity of personhood is the basis of all scientific knowledge. Once there is no difference between the observer and the thing observed, the philosophical basis to have confidence in the results of scientific inquiry is gone. It is, quite literally, the end of Science. Looking at the photograph forces the human mind into questions of origins and beginnings, which leads to things like the contingency argument of Aristotle, and the necessity of the self-existent, eternal Being, the "First Cause," Anselm's ens necessarium. Atheism is the philosophy dejour, the fashionable worldview for the modern pseudo-intellectual. It's cool! It's easy, as long as you don't have to think to hard. Forget that it has no answer to explain Man? No basis for morals? The universe is full of contingency, but Atheism is powerless to grapple with that, so it just absolutizes the universe, as an "explanation" of how it began. Atheism is the greatest mystic religion (life, and worldview) there is. finitum capax infiniti.

One of my favorite comments in the thread below the pictures.   I read this and just said "Whut?"  LOL
I am currently experiencing life at several WTFs per hour.

Plu

Yeah. It speaks of "I know exactly what atheism is, because my pastor told me so."

SGOS

Quote from: "Plu"Yeah. It speaks of "I know exactly what atheism is, because my pastor told me so."
Nothing like a bowl of word salad when you get tired of reason.  Just spew out word salad like a mindless whirling food processor until it covers everything that might give you reason to use your brain.  Reality is once again hidden like it should be, and you can return to your mindless comfort zone.

SGOS

Quote from: "WitchSabrina"
Quotetanyamccleish
The objectivity of personhood is the basis of all scientific knowledge. Once there is no difference between the observer and the thing observed, the philosophical basis to have confidence in the results of scientific inquiry is gone. It is, quite literally, the end of Science. Looking at the photograph forces the human mind into questions of origins and beginnings, which leads to things like the contingency argument of Aristotle, and the necessity of the self-existent, eternal Being, the "First Cause," Anselm's ens necessarium. Atheism is the philosophy dejour, the fashionable worldview for the modern pseudo-intellectual. It's cool! It's easy, as long as you don't have to think to hard. Forget that it has no answer to explain Man? No basis for morals? The universe is full of contingency, but Atheism is powerless to grapple with that, so it just absolutizes the universe, as an "explanation" of how it began. Atheism is the greatest mystic religion (life, and worldview) there is. finitum capax infiniti.

One of my favorite comments in the thread below the pictures.   I read this and just said "Whut?"  LOL
Oddly, that impassioned plea was a response to this simple question.

Quotejeffc152
What do images of Earth seen in its reality have to do with a god?

Plu

I guess it just scares the theists when they are reminded of how small a speck of dust the earth is in the cosmic picture.

Kinda reminds me of this picture again: http://jruck.us/post/51174563225/applep ... ower-happy

SGOS

Quote from: "Plu"Kinda reminds me of this picture again: http://jruck.us/post/51174563225/applep ... ower-happy
That's precious.  I've seen that continuum of ever increasing areas of the universe to reflect the smallness of the Earth before.  But that last picture in the series is wonderful.  I don't know if I never followed the progression long enough to arrive at that conclusion before, or if some happy guy just decided to add it on his own.

Jason78

Quote from: "SGOS"Nothing like a bowl of word salad when you get tired of reason.

But he put latin words in his post!  Latin!

Just like you see really smart people like scientists and doctors use!
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

SGOS

Quote from: "Jason78"
Quote from: "SGOS"Nothing like a bowl of word salad when you get tired of reason.

But he put latin words in his post!  Latin!
Well, my observation is confounded, then.  I missed the Latin, and hereby most humbly withdraw my comment. :-D

PopeyesPappy

Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

Plu

If this was CSI, they could probably "enhance" it until we could see the people waving at Saturn, bad unfortunately this is the real world so we'll just have to take their word for it :P

aitm

Quote from: "PopeyesPappy"Hey! I'm in that picture!

I know, but if you look over your left shoulder you see I photo bombed you. HAHAHAHAHAH!
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

AllPurposeAtheist

Well this just sucks. I got the mobile version sans comments from the AOHell peanut gallery. On the other hand.. Yippie! I got the mobile version sans comments from the AOHell peanut gallery! :)
Hard to believe ALL life in the whole universe began on that little dot and overcame gravity to leave earth without so much as gun powder to propel it into the cosmos. Godidit..  :-$
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Solitary

I saw all of you in that picture. I still didn't see a quark.  :lol:  Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.