News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Hey all. Its sad I have to turn to the internet to say this.

Started by ZachyFTW, July 22, 2013, 01:37:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZachyFTW

My name is Zach and I am so happy to finally be able to say semi-openly that I do not believe in any God or Gods and haven't for some time. I live in a southern state and I would say it is a very bible beltish town. I just graduated high school and I've been in the closet with my atheism for about 2 years now. The only person who knows that I am an atheist is my Dad who is also an atheist. I recently told him and he seemed to be proud of my reason and why I told him I came to the conclusion of there not being a God. I wasn't someone who never saw religion growing up. I went to church religiously (pun intended) up until about 3 years ago. Looking back I feel brainwashed by the churches I went to and the people who told me these absolute lies. The thing is though, I still parade around and if anyone ask me I have to say I am a Christian or face social exile which is a very sad thing. I might still be one of the sheepish idiots if it hadn't been for Bill Maher and Sam Harris. These two men really opened my eyes to the REAL world, not the make believe one that had been stuffed down my throat from a very young age. So here I am and I am happy that I've finally found a place where I can openly share my believes or lack there of. Nice to meet everyone!
"If you wake up tomorrow morning and say a few Latin words over your pancakes thinking that they will turn into Elvis Presley, then you have lost your mind. Do the same with a cracker and Jesus, then you\'re just a Catholic."- Sam Harris

PickelledEggs

Welcome ZachyFTW! What part of the south are you from?

gussy

stromboli

Welcome. We have a lot of people here from the Babble Belt. Your story is similar to that of many, so you'll feel right at home.

Shiranu

Hey, you should definitely be happy... having family that supports you (I would assume) is a great asset. Congrats and welcome.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Jason78

Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

viocjit

Welcome ! an Atheist in the bible belt. I can't imagine live in this kind of area.

aitm

A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Solitary

There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

AllPurposeAtheist

Welcome.. Nobody ever said you have to believe their nonsense or even pretend. I lived in the nonsense belt too and simply told those nutters to piss off when they think I need to 'find god'. I can't even find my keys much less god.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

ZachyFTW

Quote from: "PickelledEggs"Welcome ZachyFTW! What part of the south are you from?

From a small North Carolina town
"If you wake up tomorrow morning and say a few Latin words over your pancakes thinking that they will turn into Elvis Presley, then you have lost your mind. Do the same with a cracker and Jesus, then you\'re just a Catholic."- Sam Harris

Colanth

I live in a big NC town (Fayetteville) but the feeling is probably about the same - if you breathe and don't have to be walked on a leash, they assume that you're Christian.  (And I'm not sure about the leash part.)  Welcome to reality, Zach.
Afflicting the comfortable for 70 years.
Science builds skyscrapers, faith flies planes into them.

ZachyFTW

Quote from: "Colanth"I live in a big NC town (Fayetteville) but the feeling is probably about the same - if you breathe and don't have to be walked on a leash, they assume that you're Christian.  (And I'm not sure about the leash part.)  Welcome to reality, Zach.

I'm fairly close to that. I'm in lewisville.

PickelledEggs

NC eh? I don't know how far you are from Portsmouth, VA (probably a few hours) but if you ever pass through there, there is an amazing indoor gokart place "A.I.K." I think they go around 40-50 mph. I haven't been there since I was in Highschool though, which was about *coughcough* years