Tyson on the Importance of NASA Funding

Started by Sleeper, July 20, 2013, 03:15:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sleeper

Watch this and tell me you don't want to write a check to NASA. What an inspiring guy!

[youtube:qedp33ls]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNxnCzz5oQE[/youtube:qedp33ls]
Because LaPlace still holds sway.

dawiw

If Space culture returns to the American people, I think there is more than meets the eye. If only people think the way he does.
I remain unconvinced by any claims anyone has ever made about the existence or the power of a divine force operating in the universe."
-Neil deGrasse Tyson.

Eric1958

Whenever I hear Dr Tyson speak, say alongside Richard Dawkins or Christopher Hitchens, he always comes across to me as the most well reasoned and the best speaker. I would take issue with his assertions about the space program of the 60's and 70s being the catalyst behind everything from car design to the environmental movement. I'm not saying their entirely unrelated, but to assert that it was the primary cause is a bit much.

I wish him luck, I think getting the NASA budget doubled is unlikely these days. Unless, that is, China does announce plans to build a military base on Mars. And besides, if you don't ask you don't get.

Sleeper

Quote from: "Eric1958"I would take issue with his assertions about the space program of the 60's and 70s being the catalyst behind everything from car design to the environmental movement. I'm not saying their entirely unrelated, but to assert that it was the primary cause is a bit much.
I think the point was mainly that making leaps in space exploration and the like, as we used to do, would likely cause many positive chain reactions in other fields that we may not be aware of at present.

Sleeper

BTW - I loved the idea of... well, what he essentially described as a star fleet! Focusing on being able reach several points rather than putting all our eggs in the Mars basket - a 20+ year project with one desolate destination in mind.

PapaSmurf34

//http://www.penny4nasa.org/

Click on the link above. Then donate and even write your senator urging them to increase funding for NASA. I wrote my representatives and even got a response back. If you're passionate about science and space exploration then take action and get involved.

Sleeper

^ Good stuff.

On another note - how many of you were hoping that this was a video with Mike Tyson talking about NASA funding? I know I would have been.