News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

ABC Bike Theft Social Experiment

Started by Shiranu, July 18, 2013, 07:36:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shiranu

"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Agramon

Cenk Uygur shared this earlier on Twitter. I can't say I'm too surprised.  :-?
"And, tricked by our own early dream
And need of solace, we grew self-deceived,
Our making soon our maker did we deem,
And what we had imagined we believed."
- Thomas Hardy

Hijiri Byakuren

I could have told you what would happen just from the title. Sociology really destroyed my faith in humanity.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Shiranu

Quote from: "Agramon"Cenk Uygur shared this earlier on Twitter. I can't say I'm too surprised.  :-?

Oh damn, I don't follow him on Twitter I'll have to do that... he mentioned it on today's show though. And yeah, it's very expected.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Aroura33

Not surprised, but saddened.  Allthe youtube comments trying to say it was because of how the black youth dressed or acted don't help restore my faith in humanity either.  Did they watch how people HELPED the pretty girl steal the bike?  The point it, sadly, looks matter.  Black, white, young, old, female, male, we all make assumptions about a person based on these factors alone.

Plus, the white kid admits he's stealing the bike...repeatedly admits it to lots of people, and still no one stopped him.  You cannot explain that away by his clothes.
"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.  LLAP"
Leonard Nimoy

LikelyToBreak

The only thing I wander about, is if the white guy might have been confronted more, if he was as small as the black guy?  Not that I doubt, there was a racist and sexist response in the experiment, I just would have liked to seen a little better control of it.

I guess that makes me a racist and sexist.  Don't quite understand how, but I'm sure people will see me that way.  

The other reason, people will not get involved, is fear of our justice system.  Although, when I was younger, I might have helped the blond and risked it.  Damn testosterone anyway.   :rolleyes: