Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Dinghy Dingbat

Started by Youssuf Ramadan, July 18, 2013, 04:39:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Youssuf Ramadan

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/dinghy-rescue- ... ml#URuVB3T

QuoteDinghy Rescue: Man's Dorset To Ireland Bid Fails

A man from the US has been rescued after attempting the 300-mile journey from the south of England to Ireland in a 6ft inflatable dinghy.
The 40-year-old was found drifting just a few miles from the Dorset coast in a vessel with a makeshift mast and sail he had fashioned out of paddles.
Discovered by a passing dive boat, his rescuers said he had no water and had given up on reaching Ireland - but that he did not seem worried.
He had initially insisted he did not need help but later agreed to get on board and was taken ashore, where he received treatment for severe sunburn.
Nigel Holder, skipper of the boat X-Dream, told Sky News he spotted the dinghy after hearing a coastguard alert prompted by sightings of the man.
"My first thoughts were: very bizarre," he said.
"If you can imagine a small child's dinghy ... and a grown man sitting in it with oars - and he had a mast made up of paddles and a triangular sail made from a tarpaulin, blue woven stuff with eyelets in the corners.
"My first thought was that he certainly wasn't going to make it to Ireland that's for sure.
"He wasn't at all worried - he seemed a bit delirious. He'd been in the sun all day since 10am and he didn't have any water with him.
"We gave him some water and he was grateful for it. He said he wasn't in any distress, he didn't need any help and he was just going to carry on rowing.
" ... He was just in a very bad way. His legs looked like someone had poured a kettle of water over them they were that red."
He was found just eight miles from where he had set off from in Osmington Mills at 9am on Wednesday. He was taken ashore to Lulworth Cove, where he was met by emergency services at 8.30pm.
John Braisher, watch officer at Portland Coastguard, said: "This man was extremely lucky to be found when he was.
"With no suitable communications equipment, limited life-saving equipment and inadequate food and drink resources for his passage to Ireland, the outcome could have been very different."

Much as I admire your spirit of adventure... you, sir, are a silly bugger.  #-o

AllPurposeAtheist

Aww..shoulda let him go to Ireland just for shits n giggles. As an American I must say, I've never been so proud of my fellow countryman. God bless America! :lol:
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

GSOgymrat

My theory: he looked at a map and didn't realize it wasn't drawn to scale.  :)

LikelyToBreak

People are delusional.  Some of us recognize our delusions, but most don't.  Which is why the churches, mosques, and synagogues are so crowded.   :(

Youssuf Ramadan

Quote from: "AllPurposeAtheist"Aww..shoulda let him go to Ireland just for shits n giggles. :lol:

I though that initially, but then I read the bit about severe sunburn and started to feel sorry for the loon....  :oops:

Solitary

Was he from Texas?  :shock:  8-[   :P  :lol:  Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.