News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

CNN to bring back Crossfire

Started by Agramon, July 18, 2013, 03:35:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Agramon

QuoteWashington (CNN) – An institution is coming back to CNN.

"Crossfire," the long-running political debate show that aired on CNN from 1982-2005, is getting a reboot, the news network announced Wednesday. Four new hosts – two on the left, and two on the right - will debut the program this fall.

Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich, who made a bid for the 2012 GOP presidential nomination, will host on the right alongside S.E. Cupp, the conservative columnist who currently co-anchors "The Cycle," a television program on MSNBC.

On the left, President Barack Obama's former deputy campaign manager Stephanie Cutter will host next to Van Jones, another former Obama adviser who later founded Rebuild the Dream, a group that fosters innovative economic policy.

The foursome will also appear on CNN during special coverage of political events and elections.

Debuting two years after the founding of CNN, "Crossfire" was originally hosted by conservative Pat Buchanan and liberal Tom Braden. Later its hosts included Robert Novak, Tucker Carlson, James Carville, Paul Begala and Bill Press. Also joining the list of notable co-hosts were former New Hampshire Gov, John Sununu, Michael Kinsley, Republican strategist Mary Matalin, and 1984 Democratic vice presidential nominee Geraldine Ferraro. The nation's top political figures were guests on the show, as were a slate of preeminent entertainers, sports stars and business leaders.

"Few programs in the history of CNN have had the kind of impact on political discourse that Crossfire did – it was a terrific program then, and we believe the time is right to bring it back and do it again," Jeff Zucker, CNN Worldwide's president, said Wednesday. "We look forward to the opportunity to host passionate conversation from all sides of the political spectrum. Crossfire will be the forum where America holds its great debates."

During its more than twenty year run, "Crossfire" became must-see-T.V. for politicians and political observers alike. In 1997 – during Gingrich's own tenure as House speaker – President Bill Clinton joked about the program's longevity during his speech to that year's White House Correspondents Association dinner.

Clinton remarked the first episode was hosted "From the left, Alexander Hamilton, from the right, Aaron Burr. Topic - gun control."

Wednesday's announcement comes after a slate of new programming for CNN, including a recently launched morning show "New Day," and the afternoon, Washington-based program "The Lead with Jake Tapper."

After getting those shows off the ground, "We felt it was the right time to turn our attention next to Crossfire," said Ken Jautz, executive vice president of CNN. "This will be the next step in reinvigorating our lineup of live programs."
Link

Just what we needed, another show where twats yell at each other. How long before S.E. Cupp invokes her "atheism?"
"And, tricked by our own early dream
And need of solace, we grew self-deceived,
Our making soon our maker did we deem,
And what we had imagined we believed."
- Thomas Hardy

Brian37

When Hollywood runs out of ideas, they remake old movies. There is no "Crossfire" there are simply rich people who convince the rest of us to kiss their ass.
"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers." Obama
Poetry By Brian37 Like my poetry on Facebook Under BrianJames Rational Poet and also at twitter under Brianrrs37

SGOS

I can't tell you how much I hated that show.  When they took it off the air, I thought it was a victory for reason.

Jason78

QuoteFour new hosts – two on the left, and two on the right - will debut the program this fall.

I've read through the list of hosts, and they are all on the right!
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

Brian37

Quote from: "SGOS"I can't tell you how much I hated that show.  When they took it off the air, I thought it was a victory for reason.

What the fuck? Of course half of it was bullshit/ meaning the right. But that was actually one of the few political shows on cable left back then that didn't have the cum stain of Murdoch on it.

I simply find bringing back the name funny. If it is anything like the old show, it will be a welcome reprieve from FUCKS NEWS.
"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers." Obama
Poetry By Brian37 Like my poetry on Facebook Under BrianJames Rational Poet and also at twitter under Brianrrs37

AllPurposeAtheist

Ehem...Jane you ignorant slut... :D/

Well, at least some good came of it.. humor.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Hydra009

Quote from: "the article"Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich, who made a bid for the 2012 GOP presidential nomination, will host on the right alongside S.E. Cupp, the conservative columnist who currently co-anchors "The Cycle," a television program on MSNBC.
:Hangman:

Quote"Few programs in the history of CNN have had the kind of impact on political discourse that Crossfire did – it was a terrific program then, and we believe the time is right to bring it back and do it again," Jeff Zucker, CNN Worldwide's president, said Wednesday.
Translation:  it makes money.  The only real expenses are the cameras, a female "assistant" for Newt, and a tub of holy oil for S.E. Cupp.

Damn, such a good show.  I wonder why it was pulled?

[youtube:107td4u6]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFQFB5YpDZE[/youtube:107td4u6]

Oh.

Solitary

:rollin: Thanks for the video! Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Triple Nine

I don't watch CNN, but ideological division is the spice of life. Stop acting like we all just happily get along.
Playing: Skullgirls
On hold: Shin Megami Tensei IV (3DS)
Pokemon X & Y (3DS)
Whenever I get my GODDAMNED 3DS back  \":evil:\"
Religion, Nationalism, and Racism is all under the evil wing of Conservatism and preservation of useless traditions!

the_antithesis

Quote"Few programs in the history of CNN have had the kind of impact on political discourse that Crossfire did – it was a terrific program then, and we believe the time is right to bring it back and do it again," Jeff Zucker, CNN Worldwide's president, said Wednesday.

Translation: "We figure enough time has passed since Jon Stewart smacked us in the dick and now no one remembers and we can trot out this dead horse again."

Sal1981

Is there any show similar to BBC's HardTalk?

That I used to watch, and it wasn't some empty bickering show like Crossfire.

Colanth

Quote from: "the_antithesis"

Translation: "We figure enough time has passed since Jon Stewart smacked us in the dick and now no one remembers and we can trot out this dead horse again."
Or will it turn out to be just "Jon Stewart needs some fresh material"?
Afflicting the comfortable for 70 years.
Science builds skyscrapers, faith flies planes into them.

Shiranu

Quote from: "Jason78"
QuoteFour new hosts – two on the left, and two on the right - will debut the program this fall.

I've read through the list of hosts, and they are all on the right!

Damn, you beat me to it :.

S.E. Cupp and Newt... at least Cupp amuses me, Newt is just... blah. Why not get someone ACTUALLY on the left, too few of them here?
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Jmpty

Quote from: "Sal1981"Is there any show similar to BBC's HardTalk?

That I used to watch, and it wasn't some empty bickering show like Crossfire.

Mclaughlin Group, on PBS. I like it.
???  ??

SGOS

Quote from: "Hydra009"Damn, such a good show.  I wonder why it was pulled?

Writer posted a YouTube video

Oh.
Stewart nails it with his comment, "You are not here to provide a service to the public.  You are here to do what politicians want you to do." (paraphrased from memory)  He's right.  The defining characteristics of crossfire were to dramatize political conflict, provide politicians a venue to express party approved talking points, and to solidify partisan hatred of the opposing party.  And Stewart is absolutely correct about not asking the tough questions.  The show was as helpful to the political debate as stopping to gawk at a fatal accident is to driving the family to Disneyland.