If gay marriage lead to multiple marriage ... so what?

Started by Broede, July 17, 2013, 04:27:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GSOgymrat

Bigamy is having one wife too many. Monogamy is the same. - Oscar Wilde

stromboli

Reminds me of Stranger In A Strange Land by Robert Heinlein. In a perfectly free society, it wouldn't matter who bedded who so much if it was understood to be mutual across the board. I would not mind sharing a woman with another man, assuming everyone's needs were met- sexual, intellectual, or whatever. I have known women I resonated with more intellectually than sexually and also the reverse. I also would not have trouble with bisexuality, even though I am not, again based on meeting of needs.

caseagainstfaith

Basically, my argument against polygamy as a legal venture is primarily that of practicality.  You have one of 4 people that want out, say.  I'm sure it could be done, but, a mess.

And, just from my experience, it seems to me that people who want a committed legal relationship want it to be a couple.  I suppose maybe there are some people that would really want a committed legal relationship of more.  but, it doesn't seem like that many.

If I wanted more than wife, or other kind of arrangement, I think it makes more sense to have that a private relationship.

But, I think some aspects of "marriage" should possibly be extended.  Like I understand that in cases of severe illness, hospitals only allow visitors of very close relationship like spouses.  I think I should be able to legally pick whomever I would want for that kind of situation.  It wouldn't mean the person had any other legal rights.  Just the right to see me if they wanted if I was near death in the hospital.

Maybe some kind of legal 'close friend' assignment that might have some limited basic rights in some of these kinds of situations.  Not sure.  Just thinking aloud.
Please visit my site at http://www.caseagainstfaith.com  featuring critiques of Lee Strobel and other apologetics.

ZachyFTW

See the whole illusion of freedom this country gives us is sickening. "Land of the free and home of the brave.", more like "Land of the sheep and home of the McDonalds." If everyone used common sense with this shit the United States would be such a better place. If someone wants to marry 2 or 3 people who gives a fuck? You don't have to watch them have a threesome. Shit is just too crazy. Freedom must mean something else to 99% of the population.
"If you wake up tomorrow morning and say a few Latin words over your pancakes thinking that they will turn into Elvis Presley, then you have lost your mind. Do the same with a cracker and Jesus, then you\'re just a Catholic."- Sam Harris

Colanth

Quote from: "caseagainstfaith"Basically, my argument against polygamy as a legal venture is primarily that of practicality.  You have one of 4 people that want out, say.  I'm sure it could be done, but, a mess.
No more a mess than a divorce between a 1 man/1 woman marriage.  Some of them are just "let's divide everything up equally and call it a day", some are legal battles that last for years and no one ends up satisfied.

QuoteAnd, just from my experience, it seems to me that people who want a committed legal relationship want it to be a couple.
Most people in the US now, probably.  In the 60s?  MANY relationships were many men/many women.  And as long as no one felt taken advantage of, everyone was happy.  When one or another member of the "marriage" wanted to leave, he or she did.  I can't remember any breakups lasting as long as it would have taken to get to an attorney's office.

QuoteI suppose maybe there are some people that would really want a committed legal relationship of more.  but, it doesn't seem like that many.
You want what you grow up to consider normal.  A kid raised in a fundy Christian home considers the Bible to be the literal word of God, every word of his pastor to be a direct order from God, and if it's a woman and she's raised to believe that no woman should ever attempt to teach any man, she thinks that's just fine.  Kids raised in a multiple marriage would think that a 1M1W marriage was weird.

QuoteIf I wanted more than wife, or other kind of arrangement, I think it makes more sense to have that a private relationship.
To you.  But why should that be forced on everyone?  Why shouldn't their version of "makes more sense" be forced on you?

Once you invoke "normal", it has no place in the law.  That's a personal value judgment.

I want to be allowed to have a 1M1W marriage, but I don't want to impose that on people who consider some other arrangement better for them.  As long as they're all rational consenting adult humans, it's none of my concern.
Afflicting the comfortable for 70 years.
Science builds skyscrapers, faith flies planes into them.

caseagainstfaith

Quote from: "Colanth"In the 60s?  MANY relationships were many men/many women.

And they wanted it a legalized commitment with the hope and expectation for it to be life long?

At any rate, I'm not terribly opposed to it. I'm still not convinced it is necessary.
Please visit my site at http://www.caseagainstfaith.com  featuring critiques of Lee Strobel and other apologetics.

Jason78

Quote from: "ZachyFTW"If everyone used common sense with this shit the United States would be such a better place.

I believe that was the intention of the founding fathers.
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

WitchSabrina

Quote from: "Broede"
Quote from: "Plu"
Quote"How would you feel if your wife wanted to marry another man?"

It's not just a cop-out, it's a bullshit argument. How any one person feels about the subject is completely irrelevant to the fact that there's millions of people out there who might think differently, and who should also be free to live life as they want to enjoy it.

It's kinda like asking "how would you feel if you had to marry someone of the same gender?". It's completely stupid to ask. If you don't want your wife to marry another man, discuss that shit with her and explain why you don't want it. Don't make a law to forbid the whole practice for everyone just because you're not interested in it.

Which is exactly why I played the devil's advocate card.  While you or I don't want to do something, there's absolutely no solid reason why we should arrest and vilify others who do.  If only more people put themselves in the shoes of others.  Hell -- didn't Jesus TEACH THAT?!  To pick the beam from one's own eye FIRST?  Worry about your own problems?  It all boils down to a power trip. "I know what's best for you, better than you do."

***  complete foundation of religion  ***
I am currently experiencing life at several WTFs per hour.

Colanth

Quote from: "caseagainstfaith"
Quote from: "Colanth"In the 60s?  MANY relationships were many men/many women.

And they wanted it a legalized commitment with the hope and expectation for it to be life long?
Legalized, no.  Most of them were, at best, opposed to the law at the time.  (This was the time of protest.  There was a protest somewhere on any given day, usually more than one.)  Did they hope it would last forever?  Those who thought past next Tuesday probably did.  (And I know couples - there's such a thing as societal pressure - who are still together now, after 50 years or more.)
Afflicting the comfortable for 70 years.
Science builds skyscrapers, faith flies planes into them.