John Oliver Reacts To Zimmerman

Started by Shiranu, July 16, 2013, 03:09:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shiranu

http://www.hulu.com/watch/511369

Some great bits from it, particularly...

QuoteThose laws are "what makes this so much worse -- that we could get a verdict like this, not because the system is broken down, but because the system worked exactly as it's designed," Oliver said.

QuoteOliver also piled on Mark O'Mara, the George Zimmerman defense attorney who infamously said that Zimmerman would not have been charged with a crime were he black. ("The one thing that our justice system is known for is how lenient it is on black people") and George Zimmerman's brother, who expressed fear that Zimmerman could be the target of vigilantes.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Solitary

There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Eric1958

As disappointed as I am in the whole trial and verdict, what really turned my stomach was watching a clip of Zimmerman on Fox being pointedly asked if he would have handled the situation differently if he had it to do over. Would he have not followed Martin, not have gotten out of his truck, not have confronted him. His answer was "no... It was all part of God's plan".

If I did believe in God, I would pray that this man would never, ever have children. For good measure I'd throw in his brother too.

Seabear

Quote from: "Eric1958"watching a clip of Zimmerman on Fox being pointedly asked if he would have handled the situation differently if he had it to do over. Would he have not followed Martin, not have gotten out of his truck, not have confronted him. His answer was "no... It was all part of God's plan".
Brilliant answer, really. Impossible for 80% of America to criticize. Ironically, I'm sure it leaves a lot of faithers curiously conflicted...

And, I am sure he was coached by his legal team how to answer "what if" questions like this one. If he said he would do anything differently, that could be construed as an admission the he knew he was doing (or did) something wrong, has guilt, and used against him in court. Remember, he still may face civil charges.

Basically:
"There is a saying in the scientific community, that every great scientific truth goes through three phases. First, people deny it. Second, they say it conflicts with the Bible. Third, they say they knew it all along."

- Neil deGrasse Tyson