News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Don't Spank

Started by WitchSabrina, July 16, 2013, 08:09:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WitchSabrina

http://www.whattoexpect.com/wom/toddler ... d=webmail6
SUMMARY: New research suggests that harsh physical punishment in childhood may be associated with health problems in adulthood.

QuoteSpare the rod and spoil the child, the old saying goes. But new research suggests that parents who rely heavily on physical discipline may increase kids' risk of future health problems, including obesity and heart disease.

MedPage Today reports on the work of Canadian researchers who recently published a study in the journal Pediatrics. The researchers looked at data from more than 34,000 adults who reported on both current health problems and childhood discipline experiences. The data were adjusted for sociodemographic factors, family history of dysfunction, and mental disorders. Watch this video below to learn more about the study:

The study authors specifically looked at what they defined as "harsh physical punishment" in childhood: pushing, grabbing, shoving, slapping, and hitting. They wanted to see how these measures may affect kids in the absence of more severe maltreatment (sexual abuse, physical or emotional neglect, exposure to marital violence, physical abuse, etc.). Prior research had established a link between physical punishment and future behaviors like delinquency and aggression, but long-term health consequences had not previously been explored.

Results showed that kids who received physical punishment were more likely to end up with health problems as adults. Highest risks were associated with obesity (24 percent) and arthritis (35 percent). But there was also significant correlation to a handful of other ailments in adulthood, including cardiovascular disease, gastrointestinal disease, diabetes, liver disease, and hypertension.

Authors speculate that when kids are physically punished or abused, they may experience changes in brain structure, hormones, and emotional health. Any of these can contribute to health problems in adulthood.

Admittedly, this study has limitations. It relied on retrospective, self-reported data that may be highly subjective. It's tricky to quantify "harsh" physical discipline. To a child, a little swat from adult may feel like a slam from a baseball bat. I've heard of parents disciplining kids by flicking, lightly swatting, or poking. Where do those methods fall on the spectrum of harshness? Every situation probably depends on the parent's temper, strength, and delivery method, as well as the child's perception.

So yeah, there may be certain gaps in the data here. But the bottom line is certainly worth considering: Is physical punishment useful for timely discipline, or simply dangerous and damaging? Research indicates that spanking and other corporal discipline measures tend to do more harm than good.

My husband and I don't believe in physical punishment. It seems counterintuitive. We're always telling our kids it's not okay to hit each other, so we'd be hypocrites to turn around and hit our kids.

But I understand why some parents use physical punishment. Sometimes, it takes every ounce of my self-control to reign in the spanking hand. I'm older, I'm wiser (theoretically), I'm more resourceful...I figure I should be able to discipline my kids without roughing them up. I try to lead by example and avoid striking out in anger or frustration. Oh, but it's tough.

hmmm...............   I wonder how harsh is 'harsh'.   We could spend hours figuring this out.
I am currently experiencing life at several WTFs per hour.

AllPurposeAtheist

I left another forum for good arguing this bullshit when I said I spanked my kids then was compared to a child molester. It's a no win argument.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

WitchSabrina

We spanked ours (not hard tho)   They turned out really well.  lol

Solitary

Thanks for the info Sabrina! By the way your art work is very professional. Have you done scratch board?

One day when I went to pick up my children from grade school I saw a teacher with a paddle tell a kid to turn around, which he did facing her, so know he has his toward her, she told him to turn around and grab his ankles while she wacked him on the butt. I got furious and got out of the car and slammed the door shut. When she heard it she stopped. I ran up to her and took the paddle away from her and told her to turn around and grab her ankles since she just taught me this is how you get what you want by being physical.

I took the paddle to the principle and told him if I ever see anyone paddle my kids I'm coming to him and show him what's it's like to get physical. He said my kids have never had to be paddled. I asked him what it teaches kids when you use corporal punishment that even the military doesn't do that. And that it only teaches kids that they can use physical violence to get their way. An article in Play Boy magazine came out soon after saying what I did. Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

surly74

QuoteMy husband and I don't believe in physical punishment. It seems counterintuitive. We're always telling our kids it's not okay to hit each other, so we'd be hypocrites to turn around and hit our kids.

yet another group of parents that think they can parent and be fair. being a parent means being a hypocrite sometimes. i never had to spank my nine year old but my two year old??? he can be a holy terror...spanking may be in the play book down the road.
God bless those Pagans
--
Homer Simpson

aitm

yeah, I beat the fuck outa my kid...she's fine.....kinda.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: "WitchSabrina"We spanked ours (not hard tho)   They turned out really well.  lol
I'm calling cops on you now you...you..you molestress!

What's the number for 911? :shock:
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

WitchSabrina

My mom used to beat the crap outta us - and not really for good reason either.  Other than some serious therapy, life was easy and productive and  I turned out decent.
 :rollin:

Plu

My parents never had to spank me. Apparently I was smart enough to figure it out on my own.

I don't plan to spank my own either. I don't see any way in which it would help raise them properly.

Hydra009

I personally don't care for spanking.  I understand the potent combination of frustrated parents and the easy availability of corporal punishment.  But there are better ways for correcting behavior.

SGOS

I can't remember getting an official spanking, although I came close one time.  Mostly, I just remember getting an occasional  flurry of blows about the head and shoulders.  I never stopped to consider whether this was appropriate or not.  It's just the way it was.  

I've always experienced guilt as a rather strong emotion.  That probably did wonders for keeping me in line.  I hate feeling guilty, and will behave in such a way to avoid that feeling.  A couple of times I was accused of doing something I didn't do.  Then I didn't feel guilty, but I was incredibly angry.  I could not convince my parents of my innocence.  They just said I was lying.  I think those two experiences were probably more emotionally damaging than any of the blows I received about the head and shoulders.

But we survive.  Some of us even overcome the bad stuff.

Jmpty

During the 2's, I used the finger flick on the top of the head. That's as corporal as I ever got.
???  ??

stromboli

Never spanked my kids because no one spanked me. Best approach is simply hands on- hold the child firmly and make sure they got your attention, and make them look you in the eye when you talk to them. But don't cause pain, because that only incurs hurt and resentment.

Jason78

Does this report specifically refer to adults dishing out the beatings?  Because when I was young I recall getting hit by kids almost as often as my parents.
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

Nonsensei

QuoteThe study authors specifically looked at what they defined as "harsh physical punishment" in childhood: pushing, grabbing, shoving, slapping, and hitting.

So spanking isnt mentioned, and the rest of these indicate a parent who is frequently engaging in unfettered physical abuse. Its no surprise to me that serious physical abuse has effects on child development.
And on the wings of a dream so far beyond reality
All alone in desperation now the time has come
Lost inside you\'ll never find, lost within my own mind
Day after day this misery must go on