News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Neighbors to the rescue!!

Started by aitm, July 15, 2013, 08:56:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aitm

:rollin:   some of you guys will be a real gut buster when the zombie apocalypse is upon us.....
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

WitchSabrina

Quote from: "aitm"The proper response? Some here think we shouldn't even follow a would be thief down the street, preferring to lock the door, call the cops and once the guy is out of site its someone else's problem. How can we expect anyone to exhibit the courage to stop a rape or help prevent a murder?

We all might think we know what we would do in certain situations. Some of us are a bit more..er.....adventurous than others and have acted. Everyday across the world humans exhibit courage and selflessness to help total strangers, some die in the attempt, it is in my opinion that this is what makes the human a grand creature. Why people would suggest that we curtail that response, temper it, hide it, bury it, forget about it is beyond me. That trait itself is the very backbone of the human history.

Now we suggest that we wait for someone more trained in certain situations because well, lets face it, if someone else can do it and I don't have to show that I am just to frightened to help, I will use the excuse that someone else should do it and come up with a litany of more excuses to justify it.  And since a lot of people seem to do this in situations we can all point to those situations and say, "see, thats what they did and they must be right because thats what people do."

No. I will always argue for action, even at the risks involved because "no action" tears more of the social fabric that binds us until no one will help at all.

To Do or not to Do...........
I always vote "Do".

http://4thgearconsulting.com/blog/do-so ... -its-wrong
I am currently experiencing life at several WTFs per hour.

Jack89

Quote from: "Colanth"What change?  Zimmerman caused the initial threat.  He even admitted it - he, a white man, followed Martin, a black teen-ager, in a truck.  That, in the eyes of a black teen-ager in the south, is a potential threat.  That Zimmerman may not have understood that he constituted a threat in Martin's mind isn't Martin's fault.  Martin reacted to what he probably considered a clear and present danger - his right in any state, and especially one with a stand your ground law.
We weren't talking about the Zimmerman case.  At least I wasn't.

Plu

Aitm, you're either totally failing to read any posts or willfully ignoring all of them.

Nobody says "if a black guy committed a crime, we should check out white guys to see if they did it."
That's incredibly stupid to say, and possible even stupider for you to think we'd think like that.

Everyone is saying "if black person A committed a crime and was arrested, black person B is not automatically a suspect."
Disagreeing with that... well, that's being a racist. The fact that two people superficially look alike has nothing to do with whether or not they're suspicious or doing anything wrong. If you feel that, just because he has the same skin color, gender and age and wears a hoodie, he should be treated as a suspicious person, then I guess you're more of a racist than you realise.

aitm

Quote from: "Plu"The fact that two people superficially look alike has nothing to do with whether or not they're suspicious or doing anything wrong.

The article clearly, clearly CLEARLY stated that several times the suspects in the robberies were described as young black men. Ergo, NOT YOUNG WHITE MEN, NOT YOUNG HISPANIC MEN, NOT YOUNG ORIENTALS. Can you grasp what that means or do walk around with a sign that says, "I pretend to be anti-racist to the point of being stupid"?

Tell you what, just to placate you and your internet pretentious righteousness, if I ever hear of a suspect in my neighborhood (not across the city because that would be profiling) wearing a white shirt and blue jeans, I will make sure to call 911 to report people wearing red shirts and black pants as well, I am sure everyone will appreciate the police wasting their time for the sake of political correctness.

And because I am so fair  I will let you have the last word, because I am tired of your pretentious self-righteous blather.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Plu

I'll just repeat the last word,  because I've nothing left to add.

QuoteAitm, you're either totally failing to read any posts or willfully ignoring all of them.

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: "Plu"I'll just repeat the last word,  because I've nothing left to add.

QuoteAitm, you're either totally failing to read any posts or willfully ignoring all of them.
He seems to be reading them just fine, from where I'm looking.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Plu

Then you feel that it's acceptable to mark all young black males as suspicious because some of them are suspects in robberies?

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: "Plu"Then you feel that it's acceptable to mark all young black males as suspicious because some of them are suspects in robberies?
If it's the best description you have, looking out for young black males at the time of night these robberies tend to happen in the area they happen is a sensible thing to do. Once you have something better to go on, you can narrow it down.

If tracking down a criminal based on a general description is racist, you have a very odd idea of what racism is. If I say I saw a burglar who appeared to be Latino, you're not going to look for people of African, East Asian, European, or Middle Eastern descent. If you do look for those because narrowing it down to Latinos is "racist," you're an idiot. Likewise, if I also say this person appeared to be male, you're also not going to look for a female suspect because you think doing otherwise would be sexist; that would be stupid. If I say he appeared to be middle aged, you're not going to look for someone very young or very elderly. You're going to look for someone matching the general description I gave you, most likely within the general area where the crime was committed.

Plu

But if they say "it's a college aged white female" and I call the police every time a college aged white female walks around my neighbourhood, and then stalk them to see if they do something suspicious, how long do you think it would take for them to tell me to cut the crap?

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: "Plu"But if they say "it's a college aged white female" and I call the police every time a college aged white female walks around my neighbourhood, and then stalk them to see if they do something suspicious, how long do you think it would take for them to tell me to cut the crap?
Probably very quickly, particularly if you're not observing them doing something suspicious. Underlined the key part there for you.

Plu

I'm still missing from this whole story where zimmerman saw his target do anything more suspicious than being in the area and looking around, though. Which doesn't sound suspicious at all.

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: "Plu"I'm still missing from this whole story where zimmerman saw his target do anything more suspicious than being in the area and looking around, though. Which doesn't sound suspicious at all.
According to Zimmerman, he observed Martin looking into the windows of houses. Granted, we only have Zimmerman's word on this, but it's still a far cry from "looking around."

Plu

Ok. If he meant stopping to look inside, or going into someone's yard for it, that'd qualify as acting suspicious. I couldn't get that part out of any of the articles.

(Of course anyone would be flagged as suspicious for that behaviour, too.)