News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Neighbors to the rescue!!

Started by aitm, July 15, 2013, 08:56:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aroura33

Are you seriously trying to compare the behavior of some unarmed NHW kids who know for a fact that a crime has been commited, and infact know a child has been kidnapped and can even SEE the child in the criminals car, to someone armed seeing someone else possibly acting suspicious? Because this is not just apples and oranges, it is more like apples and cars.
"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.  LLAP"
Leonard Nimoy

Colanth

Quote from: "Aroura33"Because this is not just apples and oranges, it is more like apples and cars.
Now you're getting close.  Here we have a case of the guy MAY have seen the boys watching him, and that MAY have made him nervous.  Or he may have been totally unaware of the kids, and let the girl go for some completely unrelated reason, and just thought that some kids were riding bikes.  Apples and aliens who haven't left their home planet, maybe.
Afflicting the comfortable for 70 years.
Science builds skyscrapers, faith flies planes into them.

WitchSabrina

Maybe the boys described the car or the man the best they could and police have to do more investigating?  But the happy ending was - a little girl was kidnapped and with the help of two teenage boys is safely home. Yes, I'd like the predator locked away but I think he'll have to actually commit a crime for that to come to pass.  Sadly.

And I don't think this has one idoda to do with Zimmerman.  Nothing at all.  Personally.
I am currently experiencing life at several WTFs per hour.

Plu

Myeah. This is the proper way to be a good person. Try to protect people, but don't forget that you are also a people and you have to keep yourself safe to not make a situation even more dangerous and dramatic.

It's what they teach everyone who is trained to respond to emergencies: your own safety comes first. If you forget that, you're only going to make things worse for everyone.

So these kids did the right thing in following the guy until the police showed up.

Johan

Quote from: "aitm"Zimmerman was in a neighborhood terrified of being victims where people had been shot at and trying to protect his neighborhood from another one who for some reason, spots zimmer in his car and then takes off running (that surely says he is just walking around looking at the species of trees in the area). Zimmerman gave chase because the kid took off running, (according to the script I read)
...and a kid is dead now because of it. You always seem to leave that part out.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

aitm

Quote from: "Johan"You always seem to leave that part out.

I didn't realize you needed constant reminders.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Jack89

I'm pretty sure the point is that you should do something if you can and not just sit back and be a passive observer.  Calling the cops is fine and dandy, and you should obviously do so, but more often than not they won't get there in time.

I'm of the mind that if I think I can help, I should.  I may not be "trained" to handle a specific situation, and I may have to put my ass on the line, but I should help nonetheless. You do what you can and accept the consequences if things go south.  

I really don't get this passive approach some people take.  If I think I can help out, I'm not just going to call the police and watch.  I'd feel like a piece of shit if someone was hurt because I failed to act.

Johan

Quote from: "aitm"
Quote from: "Johan"You always seem to leave that part out.

I didn't realize you needed constant reminders.
I think you're the one who needs reminding.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

Plu

The key part is "think I can help out". Many people simply don't think they can help (or their interference would only make the situation worse).

And they might be right, or not. You can never know. But I think most will follow the same line of logic as you; they just arrive at the conclusion that they cannot help out.

I mean; it's really noble to run into a burning building to try and save someone, but if the most likely outcome of that situation is that the firemen will now have to drag two unconscious people out of the building, should you really go in?

Johan

Quote from: "Jack89"If I think I can help out, I'm not just going to call the police and watch.  I'd feel like a piece of shit if someone was hurt because I failed to act.
And how would you feel if someone was hurt because you choose to act? There is a reason that jobs meant for professionals are best left to professionals.

PopeyesPappy

Quote from: "Johan"
Quote from: "Jack89"If I think I can help out, I'm not just going to call the police and watch.  I'd feel like a piece of shit if someone was hurt because I failed to act.
And how would you feel if someone was hurt because you choose to act? There is a reason that jobs meant for professionals are best left to professionals.
Completely ignores the fact that the majority of the time the professionals don't show up until it is to late to stop someone from being hurt.
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

Plu

But also completely ignores the fact that trying to help sometimes only makes the situation worse, causing people to get hurt.

It can go both ways, very easily. That's why you shouldn't hold it against people for not willing to risk it.

WitchSabrina

I think helping to the right degree is what matters.  Going past professional help like we've watched too many Bruce Willis movies is where we get into trouble - I think.
I am currently experiencing life at several WTFs per hour.

PopeyesPappy

Quote from: "Plu"But also completely ignores the fact that trying to help sometimes only makes the situation worse, causing people to get hurt.

It can go both ways, very easily. That's why you shouldn't hold it against people for not willing to risk it.
I don't hold it against someone for not wanting to get involved. I do however hold it against them if they argue no one else should either.
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

aitm

Quote from: "Jack89"I really don't get this passive approach some people take.  If I think I can help out, I'm not just going to call the police and watch.  I'd feel like a piece of shit if someone was hurt because I failed to act.

I'm with you. Seconds turn into minutes pretty quick and I'm not one for letting criminals just walk away because everyone is looking out the "winder" waiting for a "pro" to finally show up. I think the whole "pro" thing is somewhat laughable considering the most usual action the cops take on a suicide call is shoot the "victim".
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust