Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Murder of Oscar Grant

Started by Shiranu, July 15, 2013, 08:16:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shiranu

Here is the case...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/06/1 ... 07660.html

QuoteLOS ANGELES — Two different portraits of a white transit officer accused of killing an unarmed black man at an Oakland train platform emerged Thursday at the start of a trial tinged with racial overtures that will likely delve into use of force tactics by law enforcement.

The case, which was moved to Los Angeles, is being watched closely by the Oakland community, where racial tensions overflowed into violence following the 2009 New Year's Day shooting and is somewhat reminiscent of the fallout from the Rodney King beating that eventually resulted in the acquittal of four Los Angeles police officers in 1992.

"The shooting death of Mr. Grant was the result of emotions taking over for discipline," Stein said during his opening statement. "This was a result of aggression taking over judgment and training. For that, the defendant must be held responsible."

Defense attorney Michael Rains has long contended his client accidentally pulled out a handgun instead of his stun gun. Rains disputed Stein's account that Mehserle wasn't calm and collected in the moments before the shooting.

Both attorneys used video clips taken by several bystanders to recount how the shooting occurred. In one snippet, Stein noted that Mehserle looked down at his holster before pulling his gun. Mehserle would have had to reach for his Taser gun across his body on the left side to pull that weapon.

"Was the defendant confused?" Stein asked. "Look where he's looking? He's looking at what he's doing."

And the result?

//http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/11/05/mehserle-sentencing-judge_n_779643.html

QuoteLOS ANGELES — Dozens of protesters took to the streets Friday, some breaking windows and knocking down fences, after a white former transit officer was sentenced to the minimum possible prison sentence of two years for fatally shooting an unarmed black man on a California train platform.

He went on to only serve one year in jail, in a separate cell from the rest of the prison (this one I 3/4ths agree with).

He also went on to be part of another police brutality case not long after being released.

Shoot an unarmed black guy in the back as a cop? Nah, your cool bro!
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Colanth

Quote from: "Shiranu"He went on to only serve one year in jail, in a separate cell from the rest of the prison (this one I 3/4ths agree with).
I agree with it 100%.  Unless you're sentenced to "death by incarcerated felon", the state has the duty to protect your life, no matter what your crime is.

I disagree with almost all other aspects of the case.
Afflicting the comfortable for 70 years.
Science builds skyscrapers, faith flies planes into them.