Self-Defense? 20 Years. Murder? 0.

Started by Shiranu, July 15, 2013, 08:04:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solitary

Lawyers aren't arguing for the truth, they argue to win at any cost, and those who can provide for the cost win. We don't have a system of justice, we have a legal system, and justice is blind. Money talks, and BS walks. Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

BarkAtTheMoon

Quote from: "LikelyToBreak"I have harped for years on how messed up our justice system is, but what I am told almost every time is, "But, it is the best in the world."  

Personally, I think we have been brainwashed into believing a 500 year old system, set-up for the royalty in England, is the best there is.  While I must agree, it is the best system in the world for the lawyers, it is terrible for the rest of us.  

There is a better system used right here in this country.  It is the military tribunal.  I have heard it said, "If you are guilty, you want a civil trial.  If you are innocent, you should want a military trial."

The reason being, is that the military tribunal seeks to learn the truth and is less interested in jurisprudence.  What the military, ideally admittedly, is wanting to accomplish, is to stop the problem from happening again.  Which makes sense.  if a behavior is harmful to the overall well being and discipline of the service, then the tribunal is trying to find a solution to prevent this behavior.  

Many bad mouth the military tribunal, because it doesn't give the lawyers what they want.  More money!

The justice system will not be changed in this country for the better.  Because the monied own the political system and the media.   :cry:

Oh yeah. Shiranu, your facts are excellent.  I applaud you for posting them.  =D>

For all the problems with the US justice system, it's certainly by no means perfect, but there are first world countries that are way worse. Read up on the Amanda Knox case for a good example and see the shit the Italian prosecutor pulled and police fuckups in that case. If that had happened in the US, the case more than likely would've been dismissed early or never tried, much less got a conviction, and he should've been disbarred.
"When you landed on the moon, that was the point when God should have come up and said hello. Because if you invent some creatures and you put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, then you fucking turn up and say, 'Well done.' It's just a polite thing to do." - Eddie Izzard

Shiranu

Not sure I want to be compared to Italy or Greece...
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Hydra009

Quote from: "Seabear"
Quote from: "Shiranu"
Quote from: "Seabear"News flash! This just in: Legal System Not Perfect

Correct, and its always good for people to see just how flawed it is.
Yep, it's the worst there is, except for all the others.

Seabear

Quote from: "Hydra009"
Quote from: "Seabear"Yep, it's the worst there is, except for all the others.
[ Image ]
You do know I was paraphrasing Winston Churchill, right?
"There is a saying in the scientific community, that every great scientific truth goes through three phases. First, people deny it. Second, they say it conflicts with the Bible. Third, they say they knew it all along."

- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Hydra009

Quote from: "Seabear"
Quote from: "Hydra009"
Quote from: "Seabear"Yep, it's the worst there is, except for all the others.
[ Image ]
You do know I was paraphrasing Winston Churchill, right?
Meh, doesn't matter.  Still a pretty crappy argument.  Especially when there are other ways of doing things that actually are better.

BarkAtTheMoon

Quote from: "Shiranu"Not sure I want to be compared to Italy or Greece...
At least it's set up to favor the defendant. Lot of other countries have ancient traditions that go the other way. Most of the problems of trial by jury of your peers is because the average person is fucking stupid. At least the system is built so that guilty people are likely to be free before innocent people are likely to be convicted.

:trollface: Aren't you the one that's all about Italy?  :P
"When you landed on the moon, that was the point when God should have come up and said hello. Because if you invent some creatures and you put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, then you fucking turn up and say, 'Well done.' It's just a polite thing to do." - Eddie Izzard

Shiranu

Quote:trollface: Aren't you the one that's all about Italy?

Hey, as much as I love my people... our government is corrupt and garbage as hell...

But hey, at least we have the tied for most beautiful women in the world, one of the most beautiful natural landscapes in the world and the best food in the world, so that count's for something.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Colanth

Quote from: "BarkAtTheMoon"Most of the problems of trial by jury of your peers is because the average person is fucking stupid.
The problem is that the intelligent people manage to get out of jury duty, leaving the unintelligent ones to be your "peers".

QuoteAt least the system is built so that guilty people are likely to be free before innocent people are likely to be convicted.
Where did you dig up that fairy tale?  Prisons are full of innocent people.  (The reason that so many guilty people are free is that most criminals are never brought to trial.)
Afflicting the comfortable for 70 years.
Science builds skyscrapers, faith flies planes into them.